Last post by Rommel
Today 08:25 AM
9 Replies, 924 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

LittleBigPlanet Sequel Not Likely

Little Big Planet level designer Danny Leaver has effectively stated that Media Molecule are not working on a sequel to the critical success that made the develop famous. Fans will be re-assured that this is because they wish to support the existing community.

Quote:
“I think what you’ve seen so far from LittleBigPlanet, that’s the way it’s going to continue.” said producer Martin Lynagh, referring to DLC and updates for the existing game.

Level designer Danny Leaver said that a sequel would fragment the LBP community. “We’d never want to do that. That’d be the most counterproductive thing you could do I think.” he said.

Media Molecule have given what is surely the most dedicated post – launch community support in the history of video games, and such dismissal of a sequel should serve to reassure fans still further.
More from Critical Gamer.

It'd be cool if they made it a pack-in ala Wii Sports.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

It's cool to see a developer willing to let a game stand on it's own
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

After seeing what happened to Katamari Damacy with all the subsequent "sequels" I think that sometimes you don't need to do a sequel because it ruins the original game.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

Maybe they finally realized they coulda been billionaires by now if they'd released this for Wii instead of taking Sony's pile of bribe money for exclusivity :P
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Verruckt
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Maybe they finally realized they coulda been billionaires by now if they'd released this for Wii instead of taking Sony's pile of bribe money for exclusivity :P
Except the game doesnt have Mario. It wouldnt have sold on the Wii.
Verruckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckt View Post
Nah, it woulda been big :P
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I think LBP would have played better on wii but I don't think it would look as good and I think that's it's main draw.

That and it's creativity and honestly while creativity is on short supply on PS3 it's not on Wii so it probably would have been a tougher market.

Kind of like how games like True Crime sold on Xbox and Gamecube because people couldn't play what they wanted to play... Grand Theft Auto which was only on PS2.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm confused... exactly how has Media Molecule supported Little Big Planet? I don't think I have ever seen a game with as little developer support. Knocking out a couple of hundred $5.00 costumes doesn't feel much like 'support'. It feels more like that white stuff you see coming out of a cow (and I don't mean bull sperm).

So far they seem to have done jack and squat. The costumes are nice, but they are also charging for them. If they start supporting the game with some new content - even pay content - please wake me.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Do you play the game? I haven't ever, but I thought they were supporting the game and just not really talking about it. I assumed it was the kindi fo thing that would show up in the interface but not something they make press releases about.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Do you play the game? I haven't ever, but I thought they were supporting the game and just not really talking about it. I assumed it was the kindi fo thing that would show up in the interface but not something they make press releases about.
My kids play all the time and I enjoy buying the new costumes for them, but I haven't ever seen even a single new level from the game developers for download for this game.

Just hundreds and hundreds of piss-poor quality user-created levels. Even the highest rated user-created levels are still piss-poor crap compared with the levels that came with the game.

So, from my point of view they haven't done much to support this title. Certainly not enough to justify the claim that they are holding off on a sequel.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Verruckt
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
My kids play all the time and I enjoy buying the new costumes for them, but I haven't ever seen even a single new level from the game developers for download for this game.
Just the metal gear solid pack had new levels. But they do need more.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

True, it wouldn't have looked as good, but god help a game whose primary draw is graphics anyways. Like marketing a kid's game to the adult PS3 market is a better idea? The one platform guaranteed to have the least kids on it?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Just hundreds and hundreds of piss-poor quality user-created levels. Even the highest rated user-created levels are still piss-poor crap compared with the levels that came with the game.
- Ever tried making a level for a game? It's amazing just how difficult it is to make a good level, irrespective of the game. Hats off to them level designers. I'd love to know more about the process they go through.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Verruckt
Evil Dead

The main draw of the game (user created content) would not have worked quite as well on the Wii. I really doubt it would have sold the couple million copies it sold on the PS3 as a Wii title.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
True, it wouldn't have looked as good, but god help a game whose primary draw is graphics anyways. Like marketing a kid's game to the adult PS3 market is a better idea? The one platform guaranteed to have the least kids on it?
It never really seemed like a kids game to me.

It's kind of the same response I had to a guy a few weeks ago who said Where the Wild Things are was a movie for kids...

I think these products are more for Hipsters than they are for kids. Ostensibly they're childish... but more in an "ironic" way.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
The main draw of the game (user created content) would not have worked quite as well on the Wii. I really doubt it would have sold the couple million copies it sold on the PS3 as a Wii title.
I think the wii interface would have been much better than a gamepad for creating levels though...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Certainly the concept of LBP is kid friendly, and they steered it to a hipster crowd that obviously resulted in some commercial success on the PS3, what choice did they have with the PS3 demographic. So, since they decided to shill for the PS3 and sellout to Sony, they tuned the game to sell on it. They did a good job. That's not to say it wouldn't have been more kid friendly on the Wii, they could've tuned it to that audience and you'd have a totally different beast. Really we're in 'if' land and all opinions are valid now. But to say that LBP couldn't have succeeded on Wii is to ignore that it probably would've been devved into a totally different animal for the Wii also.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Trust me there would have been a mario sackboy. Hell there would have been a Sonic Sackboy too.

They failed hard drinking Sony's kool aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #19
modeps
Get busy living.

Last I heard, MM was working on a web portal so you could browse through and queue up user created levels from your browser. That news was quite a while ago though... Not much word on that since. Maybe I'll send them a note.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #20
uncleslappy
Dread Lord

In terms of being on the Wii - the graphics is no argument because LBP is coming out on PSP. I always thought it would have been great on the Wii, and I think I remember seeing Reggie say he regretted not getting LBP or something like it on the Wii.

As far as supporting the product, I think what they mean is they don't want to split LBP1 User Levels and LBP 2 User Levels. Regardless of whether or not the levels stink, they are allowing us non-programmers to gain experience making levels and sharing our creations with the world. Kinda nice of them from that perspective.
uncleslappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lbp, little big planet