Last post by davidj.dk
Today 12:55 AM
40 Replies, 746 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
modeps
Get busy living.

Magic the Gathering XBLA Getting First DLC Next Week

Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers for Xbox Live Arcade will be receiving an update next Wednesday, October 21st for 400 MSP. This will be the first update and contain the following:

Quote:
Duel Magic’s iconic dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas with the brand new downloadable content featuring:
  • Three new playable decks; including Tezzeret’s “Relics of Doom” Planeswalker deck
  • Three new unlockable cards for each of the eight original decks
  • New Two-Headed Giant co-op levels
  • Three new puzzling challenge levels

Players can also put their spell-slinging skills to the test to defeat the new single-player campaign and unlock Sarkhan Vol and Jace Beleren’s new Planeswalker decks.

The Duels of the Planeswalkers expansion is priced at 400 Microsoft Points. ESRB Rating: TEEN with Mild Blood, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violent References
Never played it? Read our review!
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
vallor
Evil Dead

Until I can build my own decks, or at least modify the default decks, I am not going to spend more money on this title.

Playing it the way it is designed forces you to have to make stupid choices or play with a completely bloated deck with cards that you wouldn't use in a million years if you had a choice.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Asmodan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Until I can build my own decks, or at least modify the default decks, I am not going to spend more money on this title.

Playing it the way it is designed forces you to have to make stupid choices or play with a completely bloated deck with cards that you wouldn't use in a million years if you had a choice.
I understand what you are saying but it really is a fun game and the reasoning behind why they locked it like the did makes sense. I play paper Magic competitively and DotPW is *still* fun. Your missing out on a lot of fun if your a MtG fan and you're not playing this just because you can't go crazy with deckbuilding.
Asmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Entropy Effect
Evil Dead

I don't expect full deckbuilding will ever happen for this game, but I do wish they'd open it up a bit more (like letting you remove some of the default cards in each deck). I'd love to see some kind of sealed/draft multiplayer, but that is probably unlikely as well.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Asmodan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy Effect View Post
I don't expect full deckbuilding will ever happen for this game, but I do wish they'd open it up a bit more (like letting you remove some of the default cards in each deck). I'd love to see some kind of sealed/draft multiplayer, but that is probably unlikely as well.
I get what you're saying but it's a slipperly slope. If you were to say... let people remove four cards from a default deck... it wouldn't be enough to make the 'I need to optimize my deck' crowd happy but it might be enough to give people that don't know much about the game fits.

What I honestly don't understand is why they don't create a modern Magic Online client for Live and PSN. It seems like a natural fit and a giant money draw. God knows if I could sit down in front of my 50' plasma TV and do a draft at a whim I'd be broke.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Jamikazi
Subscriber

I'll be honest, I purchased DotPW and enjoyed it for what it was. But when I used to play paper MTG, I legitimately spent more time customizing my deck than actually playing the game. I found the idea of playing out scenarios in my head and molding my deck to counter them was the most intriguing part of the game.

So until I can do that I won't be spending anymore money on this one.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Zurik
Evil Dead

Funny thing that slippery slope, did the old Microprose Magic game that let you build your own decks ruin magic? I'm guessing not and I wish they'd just do a re-release of that game.
Zurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Asmodan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurik View Post
Funny thing that slippery slope, did the old Microprose Magic game that let you build your own decks ruin magic? I'm guessing not and I wish they'd just do a re-release of that game.
It's not going to ruin magic but fully customizable decks WILL make it much more difficult for people that are new to magic, which is the big target of this game.

Even using only the cards you are given in the game you could construct a deck that is so much better than the default decks that playing against them wouldn't even be a contest. That turns the game from being about playing Magic to being about building a deck. Yes, you can argue that is part of MtG but it's not what they wanted to concentrate on here. Instead they wanted a relatively level playing field in regards to deck power so that people that don't know what to add and subtract from decks don't just get blown out over and over. Even doing what they did there is a relatively large disparity between the power level of some of the decks.

In the end the game is about basic Magic gameplay. Trying to learn how to play while also trying to learn how to deckbuild can be overwhelming for most people.

On the upside since the decks are generally so bad and so slow you get to play all kinds of cards that normally wouldn't see play. Lava Axe can become useful, a nine casting cost angel actually might hit the board, etc...