Last post by brandonjclark
Today 11:27 AM
10 Replies, 1,231 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Draft
Barry? Where's Barry?

Kikizo goes hands-on with the PS3

What the hell is a Kikizo? Damned if I know, but they've apparently scored a sneaky peek at the mysterious PS3.

Let's jump right to the juicy bit!

Quote:
The hands-on evidence is beginning to mount up. We're talking about a machine barely superior to Xbox 360 - not by any significant margin. It's certainly obvious this machine is not "twice" as powerful as 360, let alone a generational leap ahead.
Legit? Depends on how much you trust things named Kikizo.

Revenge of the Emotion Engine.
Rescue
Service
Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Grimmjow
Deeeeeeeez Nutz!

i just read this whole article....it seems like games may not look like killzone but look like that saga game (to me that looks great) but who knows. they also go to say that mgs4 is quite possible to pull off with a lil bit more touch up...im happy with that but b4 i countmy chickens ill wait till launch date or e3 2006
Grimmjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Reanimated
Candyland, Pokeman

And in the blink of an eye Kuturagi's dream world constructed of fake FMV reels comes crashing down.
Reanimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Megalith
Banned

{S common_sense
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Wonka
Evil Dead

Seems like common sense to me.

Anyone who has seen the announced specs from last years E3 should already know that the PS3 is roughly the equivalent of a 360 (in terms of hardware).

I don't see what the big deal is, last time the Xbox was roughly twice what a PS2 was and it didn't affect much (in terms of whether a game would be technically possible on either system). This time the two most powerful consoles will be barely distinguishable from each other, and even the 3rd place hardware will still probably be able to make most all the same kinds of games.

The hardware driven era is pretty much OVER. Even the revolutions controller would be likely copied (in some manner) by their competitors if it really takes off.

I still expect that the real differences in games this time will be about core functionalities that these guys will make for their consoles over the next 5 years, and *most* of THAT will be tied to the software they will each cook up...
Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka
I still expect that the real differences in games this time will be about core functionalities that these guys will make for their consoles over the next 5 years, and *most* of THAT will be tied to the software they will each cook up...
I'd agree that hardware has become far less of an issue with the new generation of consoles. What will really determine who "leads" this time around will come down to the way developers are treated and which console has the killer game experiences, really. Which is all that should ever matter anyways. I'd hope to see Sony/Nintendo both step up with their online gameplay this time around. We'll also have to see how the revolutions controls play out.
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I think a lot of people drooling over the PS3 are going to realize the same thing Xbox 360 owners either already knew, or came to realize. It's no different than the console you already have. when it comes to gameplay. People obsess over graphics, and are wowed by shots of a guys fully realized eyebrows, but they fail to realize that that has nothing to do with gameplay. In an FPS, what difference does it make if your guy has fully functioal eyebrows or not?

The true next generation will come when developers realize there is money to be made by offering NEW CONTENT, not new graphics. I think they may be realizing this with the Nintendo DS, thank goodness. Ironically, that next generation could have come about generations ago.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Waiting on the site to load page 3, its really slow. Everything so far doesnt seem suprising, just what we already knew.

~
Some developers are finding other ways to get the most out of things, though. For example, a middleware application called SpeedTree effortlessly creates lifelike 3D trees with fully detailed branches and leaves, although it's nothing bleeding-edge anymore: "We're not using SpeedTree at the moment, but it's something that can already be seen in Project Gotham 3, so why don't you go play that instead of asking me stupid questions?" our flustered source barks. "Programmable shaders need huge power... the increase in power means that skilled artists become more important; games will look incredible thanks to the skilled artists."

Old 02-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Chalex
Evil Dead

The article seemed kinda wishy-washy to me, not sure if the PS3 is or is not "better".

I'd like to read something similar from a wesite/publication/blog I have heard of (and it would be nice without this unnamed developer nonsense)
Chalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
Grifter

from what I understood the article said that the PS3 is just as impressive as the 360. Talking to the devs the PS3 may be able to handle a bit more onscreen events than the 360. At this point we are just waiting to hear about Sony's online plan, price and release date. They also said that in order for Sony to fit in all the features they claim to have the shell needs to be much bigger, so there is a good chance that the final PS3 and it's controller will look different than the E3 shell.