Last post by Syl
Today 01:39 AM
4 Replies, 335 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Madden NFL 10 Sales “Discouraging”

Edge Online has posted word that Electronic Arts CEO CEO John Riccitiello is disappointed in the sales of the recently released Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
In an internal email sent to Electronic Arts staff, company CEO John Riccitiello has revealed his disappointment over early Madden NFL 10 sales, but he still believes that EA is on track to achieve success this fall and holiday season.

“This week, market research for August will show that year-over-year, the industry was down in North America – and that August sales of Madden NFL 10 are down with that trend. It is discouraging that one of our highest-rated and best-marketed Madden titles in years is facing strong headwinds,” Riccitiello said in a memo obtained by The Wall Street Journal.

Madden NFL 10 sold close to two million copies in the US during August and took three of the top ten places on the monthly software chart, and Riccitiello praised his staff for the game’s quality and marketing, which he said reflected “outstanding teamwork and deep commitment to excellence.”
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
GraveMatter
Evil Dead

Followed by the announcement of layoffs.......
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Discouraging sales of a money-grabbing yearly series? GOOD.

Quote:
Followed by the announcement of layoffs.......
This would be unfortunate, but it's not like corporations need an excuse. They already have a ready-made one in the economy.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
K0LM
Subscriber

I used to purchase Madden every year going back to 1993. This if the first year I did not purchase it. I feel like we are getting fleeced with the yearly update to the rosters. The game play has turned to shit. As for a simulation it is nothing like real football. Go watch some of the Madden Tournament and it is the same 3 plays audible'd over and over exploiting game bugs.

I know it will never happen but I would like the NFL to make the license available again to anyone. At least we could hopefully get another NFL 2k series again.

The NFL needs to make EA responsible for the pile of shit they keep spewing out year after year.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
ldi222
Subscriber

Finally the Madden chickens are coming home to roost. I wish they would just release a roster update for 09, Id be perfectly happy with that.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
EvilPanda
Lord

It's because everyone is waiting for NHL 10.
EvilPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
abso
Evil Dead

It sells 2 million copies and that is disappointing? Some devs would die to sell half that many copies.
abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Dibbler
Dread Lord

I just played a couple games of NFL2K5 last night. I love football games but hate EA. It's still fun but I sure wish I could play a NFL2K10 version. I think the contract that gives EA exclusive rights end in 2015 so only 5 more years. Woot! ;P
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
King Drewsky
Grizzled Ancient

I haven't bought a day 1 Madden release in over 5 years. I was excited for the new football season and gave the Madden 10 demo a try. They only offered 1 min quarters in the demo. I couldn't even drive the field properly before half time. Supposedly, if you pre-ordered from Game Stopped you could download a version of the demo with 5 min quarters. I chose to non-order from any store as the whole demo situation was ridiculous.
King Drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Entropy Effect
Evil Dead

I haven't bought a Madden game in at least 5 years. If they switched to a bi-annual release with $15 roster updates in between, I'd probably plunk down my money every year.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Meatgortex
Soul Reaper

Next-gen Maddens have all been crap. When VC had it's 2K games going, both it and Madden were making nice improvements each year. Now we get poor rehashes.

The original deal with the NFL was exclusive only through 2009, but now they've extended that to 2012. Good job NFL, nice decision there.
Meatgortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
LilAbner
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatgortex View Post
Next-gen Maddens have all been crap. When VC had it's 2K games going, both it and Madden were making nice improvements each year. Now we get poor rehashes.

The original deal with the NFL was exclusive only through 2009, but now they've extended that to 2012. Good job NFL, nice decision there.
Good to see someone blame the NFL, rather than EA. I guarantee Take-Two/2K was bidding on the exclusive license too, but just lost to EA.

Where EA gets the blame is not trying very hard....but hey, the thing still sells a ton, even in down years like this.

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
abso
Evil Dead

My understanding was that Take-2 outbid EA by a fair amount, but the NFL went with EA due to perceived strength of brand and the power of EA itself. This was told to me by a dev at Tiburon, but take the statement however you like.
abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Wyrm
Lord of Dreams

It's still a juggernaut. It's still going to sell many millions more.

Why is this guy even worried? The fact that people are still buying this crap despite them gouging for the new rosters and minimal gameplay improvements is nothing short of a miracle.

He should be thankful that the genre provides no competition for their mediocre, lackluster product that they continue to vomit out every year without fail.
Twitter

Last edited by Wyrm; 09-11-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Dread Lord

Madden 10 is much better than '09, no question. I am enjoying it much more than the bug ridden joke that '09 was.

The game itself is quite good, but you don't get enough for your money. 10 is what '09 should have been out of the gate.

Lack of competition hurts it, the exclusive license is the problem. I don't know why NFL executives don't see it as the Madden series has a lot of their hardcore fans. Dollar bills rule though, nothing we can do.
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
bickle
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LM View Post
I used to purchase Madden every year going back to 1993. .... The NFL needs to make EA responsible for the pile of shit they keep spewing out year after year.
If you kept buying it year after year, you are responsible. They won't change as long as the series basically prints money for EA.
bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Discouraging sales of a money-grabbing yearly series? GOOD.

This would be unfortunate, but it's not like corporations need an excuse. They already have a ready-made one in the economy.
I have a hard time understanding why they need to put out a madden game yearly. Other than the obvious one. They should do a retro 70's madden i want to see crazy hair stuffed into old school helmets!