Last post by Rommel
Yesterday 09:20 PM
15 Replies, 1,201 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

FCC Loves the Ratings System

The FCC has been carrying out a review of the video game ratings system as part of a greater review of the suitability of various media ratings systems to protect children against harmful content and the possibility of introducing a universal ratings system. In a bit of good press it actually comes out on top.

Quote:
Accordingly, it's fortunate that in a report this week regarding the implementation of the Child Safe Viewing Act, the FCC found that the video game ratings scheme is a success and that "the video game industry already provides one of the most robust voluntary rating systems available." The report also concludes that the variety and variables within each media segment make it extremely difficult to manage.

Taken as a whole, the record indicates that no single parental control technology available today works across all media platforms. Moreover, even within each media platform, these technologies vary greatly with respect to the following criteria: (i) cost to consumers; (ii) level of consumer awareness/promotional and educational efforts; (iii) adoption rate; (iv) customer support; (v) ease of use; (vi) means to prevent children from overriding parental controls; (vii) blocking content/black listing; (viii) selecting content/white listing; (ix) access to multiple ratings systems; (x) parental understanding of ratings systems; (xi) reliance on non-ratings-based system; (xii) ability to monitor usage and view usage history; (xiii) ability to restrict access and usage; (xiv) access to parental controls outside of the home; and (xv) tracking. In addition, a common theme that runs throughout the comments is the need for greater education and media literacy for parents and more effective diffusion of information about the tools available to them. Many commenters urge the government to play a more substantial role in meeting this need.
More at CNET.

What do you think? Good system?
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Valkyrist
Evil Dead

It's a perfect system (as far as I'm concerned) so long as it keeps the government out of controll. This was something we talked about at great length when I worked at Software Etc. For any minor faults the ERSB may have/do, it would be catastrophicly worse under federal controll.

And then, of course, ANY rating system is completely at the mercy of parents' willingness to enforce them. How many copies of GTA i refused to sell to minors, only to have them come back in w/ their clueless parents simply makes me weep inside.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

I completely agree. The ratings system is one of the most important developments the industry has made to allow for the continuance our medium's advancement.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Rafer
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrist View Post
It's a perfect system (as far as I'm concerned) so long as it keeps the government out of controll. This was something we talked about at great length when I worked at Software Etc. For any minor faults the ERSB may have/do, it would be catastrophicly worse under federal controll.
I don't think it makes a difference, the current rating boards like the MPAA and ESRB are essentially government control by proxy.

While it's a positive that there's much less censorship of video games in America than in, say, Germany or Australia, there are lots of films that get released uncut in Europe but need to be edited (usually for sex) for release in the U.S... films like A History of Violence, Eyes Wide Shut, and American Psycho.

There's a really good documentary "This Film is Not Yet Rated", where some film directors were saying that it was sometimes easier to deal with government censor boards since you could challenge the law in court, but you can't do it with MPAA since everything is voluntary and your "free" to release films without a rating but most theaters "voluntarily" won't show unrated (or NC17) films and many newspapers "voluntarily" won't carry ads for unrated (or NC17) films.
Rafer is offline   Reply With Quote