12 Replies, 682 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

[PC] Weekend Gamer: EVE Online Impressions - Day 1-2

Initial EVE Online impressions by Jetherik

Day 1-2
I decided to take the plunge and try out the EVE online 14 day trail subscription. This is a game that I have heard a lot about from friends who say it is, “the thinking man’s MMOG.” Because I play CoH and WoW, I have been hesitant to try another online game because of the expense, and the time I don’t have to dedicate to another game.

Downloading the game was quick, just over 500mb, and installation was easy. I was up and playing within fifteen minutes. Character set up is very easy. Four “races” to pick from, and then you have two sub-races (each with male/female choice). From there you get to figure out what you look like. Then you can customize your skills, or choose a career path that sets everything for you.

I am one not to read manuals. I just like to start playing the game, or use the tutorial. EVE’s tutorial, while it may be a bit boring; it did teach me everything I needed to know. While reading the manual would have helped, I was able to go through the first missions after the tutorial with very minor problems. And any problem I did have, were caused by me not paying attention.

So far the missions the missions are FED EX missions. Not very exciting, but it is allowing me to get better at using the navigation system, earning money, and increasing my reputation. The missions from the agent are related, and can be done quickly.

I like the skill learning system because you set it and forget it. You select what you want to learn, and forget it. The skills tell you how many hours, or days, it will take to learn that skill. You know you won’t be on for two days, start your character learning a skill that takes 1 day, 15 hours. When you log back on two days later, you will have learned the skill.

At day two, where I have done a bunch of missions, it is not as exciting as many of the other MMO games that I have played. In fact, as I write this up, the game is playing while my ship travels to its destination. In a sense, this is the perfect game for those who work on the computer. You set up your mission, or whatever you want to do, set up the autopilot, undock from the station, turn on the autopilot, and away you go. Go to another window and do your work, when the computer tells you that your ship has arrived at its destination, go back to the game, tell it to dock, do what you need to do, and repeat process. I am finding that I can get a lot of work done and have some nice break moments.

Is this a bad thing? Depends on what you want from a game. I know I could go out to other areas and fight pirates or other players, but since I am in the rookie ship, I may as well earn as much money as I can to buy a new ship first.

I think this is a game of patience. The more I play and get into the game, I think the more I will discover the possibilities the game has. It is not an immediate gratification game, it is a slow process. We shall see if this plays out in the next twelve days.

Last edited by Everlost_MI; 01-21-2006 at 01:50 PM..
Everlost_MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

I got bored with it fast but agree with all youve said. Most annoying thing is the level system... so now I wait ten months for a new skill, yay. Just too boring for me, I want to be in control not setting travel routes.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Goronmon
Evil Dead

The skill system is a little wierd, as I felt like I was only logging in to choose a new skill when one was finished. The combat system was really what killed it for me, I just felt really bored while fighting anything.

Edit: So, basically, if you like to actually "play" your games, then EVE isn't the game for you. If you are more about planning and strategy, definately give it a try.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
thecrazyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goronmon
The skill system is a little wierd, as I felt like I was only logging in to choose a new skill when one was finished. The combat system was really what killed it for me, I just felt really bored while fighting anything.

Edit: So, basically, if you like to actually "play" your games, then EVE isn't the game for you. If you are more about planning and strategy, definately give it a try.
So, how do you feel about combat in typical MMOs?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
captainstrombosis
Evil Dead

I have played it on and off from the start. Honestly, It is a thinking persons game. If you don't like to put some serious thought into what you do. Skip this game, It will cause you nothing but frustration. But for those that love to carefully plan things out before doing something. This is the game to get.

It will take a lot of time to get to the point where you are viable in solo pvp. By that I mean atleast a year. Thats if your very specific as to how you train too.

But for those that do not like the combat. The pvp combat is much more enthralling. Nothing is more fun then fighting and knowing if you lose, you lose everything. That has it's draw backs. But it is much more exciting for me then FPS and other pvp games (WoW included). Simply because I really do lose something when I die. So give the 14 day trial a shot. If you do not enjoy it. Don't buy it. As the game stays about that way untill you get heavy into PvP.

P.S. For what it is worth, this is the only game I have played that has actually gotten better as time went on. Most MMO's tend to stray completely from their origional goals. This one however has stayed the course. Fixing bugs and adding new content. Keeps most of the Veterans happy, While making it easier for new players to get a foot in the door.
Gamertag:ClannerDelta
captainstrombosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
trip1eX
Evil Dead

HEre's my review of EVE.

Day 1. Created character by randomly choosing 30 options for skills and career and faction and ..... I then did half of the first tutorial.

Day 5. Finished 1st tutorial and started on 2nd.

Day 12. Finished 3/4ths of 2nd tutorial.

Day 14. Free trial ends.

I just couldn't get into the game. I have (or had) a friend that has played for 2 years and that's all he does.

IT's definitely a game of patience. I could see myself getting into this game if I had more time and I really dedicated myself to it. IT's definitely not a pick up and play game. It's does look like a game that pays off in the long run for the hardcore or dedicated gamer if you give it 2 years.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
JudasGoat
Get behind the mule.

I started on the trial about a week and a half ago and subscribed fully earlier this week. I really do enjoy the game, but as has been stated by countless others, it takes patience. Comparing it to WoW (which I also play, although not much lately) is like apples and oranges. The play mechanics/style/pace/etc is completely different. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be able to justify paying for two subscriptions.

So far I'm on my second ship and saving for my third, although I'll be too scared to actually use it for a while after I get it. Things are confusing to say the least and the sheer number of upgrades and ship types is intimidating. Luckily the player base is VERY helpful (captainstrombosis has been helping me a lot, thankfully) and the majority of players seem more mature than most other MMOGs, ESPECIALLY WoW. If you're on the fence, give it a try. I had considered it for months and I'm glad this trial was finally offered so I could check it out.

PSN ID: JudasGoat
Gamertag: JudasGoat 101
JudasGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Goronmon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyd
So, how do you feel about combat in typical MMOs?
Usually there is enough feedback during combat to keep my interested. With EVE you basically circle your enemy and just keep shotting whatever you have until they die.

I mean, I'm sure things get more interesting once you've been playing for a while, but I'm not one of those people who can put up with 2+ months of boredom to get to the fun part later.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
thecrazyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goronmon
Usually there is enough feedback during combat to keep my interested. With EVE you basically circle your enemy and just keep shotting whatever you have until they die.

I mean, I'm sure things get more interesting once you've been playing for a while, but I'm not one of those people who can put up with 2+ months of boredom to get to the fun part later.
That is exactly how I feel about traditional MMORPG combat. Guess that is why I can't play them for more then a couple weeks before I get bored out of my mind.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Veloxi
Space Sim Whore

This game bored the pants off of me, and I LOVE space games. I played it once, got bored as hell, never went back. I've been playing Jumpgate for nearly 5 years now, and have NEVER been bored. Best sci-fi space sim/mmo out there. This is because it's based on actual skill, rather than pointing and clicking.
Veloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Jeff
Death Knight

I've been playing for about two or three weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it. Yes, the beginning and tutorial are kind of boring and slow. However, the game is incredibly deep and complex. The only goal is to do whatever you want, and I think this throws new players off a bit. The game really picks up when you join an active corporation and leave secure space. I just recently joined what is arguably the biggest corporation in EVE. All their operations are in 0.0 space where they are renting several stations and asteroid belts. It's an incredibly different and more fun experience than just soloing rats and running packages around in Empire space.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Namielus
Dread Lord

I've been playing for about 4 months now. Me and my corperation have setup our out station in low-sec space (You can be killed by anyone, and virtually no one will ever come to your aid.) One of the better team experiances I'd had with games (save lan parties.)

As for npc combat, it is boring if your fighting one ship and your not pushing your limits. I fight hard ships and fighting them is alot more complicated that circling and firing. Ever gun on your ship has a radian speed that it can turn as well as optimal ranges and falloffs, meaning that depending on how fast I'm moving and in what direction will determine how well I hit my target and this stuff is changing on a second to second basis. Not boring imho.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
gawaintheblind
Evil Dead

I played the trial too, and I got fairly far into the noob missions before it rain out. Honestly, I think if I had the money to pay for this and COV/COH, I would. But its something you really have to "get in to" in order to enjoy it. Everything is fairly realistic, as far as "futuristic space games" go. I wasn't irritated by crazy physics or anything, which is a bonus. It really took me back to the days of playing Privateer, which was the best space game ever made imo. The only thing I didn't like about it was the skill system. I prefer active systems, where the more you use a skill the better it got. That seems to be the most intuitive way to do things for me, especially more so than "lvl and add points" or whatever. This was a little better than that, but I didn't feel like I was really accomplishing anything skill wise. I dunno, maybe just me. Combat didn't bother me, pretty much identical to any other mmo. Another gripe: the character creation screen glitched me a couple times. I don't know why, but I had to restart the game. If I was paying for it, I would have tried to figure out what the hell that was about, but as it was, I didn't care that much.

I really like space games. Especially of the open ended space-merchant bounty hunter type. This one.. I think... could be that.. eventually. But I think it would take a few months of steady playing to get to that point.
gawaintheblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #14
Draft
Barry? Where's Barry?

Why does all inhouse content lead to a forum post? Why not just format it like any other news story?

Just curious.
Rescue
Service
Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
Levvy
Peon

It's definitely a game of long, gradual payoff. After the tutorial I was pretty skeptical since the combat seemed really boring. Then I learned how to fight multiple ships and got excited again. Combat started getting boring again so I got my first blueprint and started selling ammo on the open market. There is a definite thrill to seeing people buying up your goods and tracking the profits. Upgraded my ship class to Destroyer and discovered a completely different world of combat. What I like most about EVE is that as you move up in ship classes, combat gets exponentially deeper. It isn't simply a matter of following the same mechanics with bigger numbers like other games. The entire play experience is completely different. And yet, the balance is there that if you don't want to have to deal with 1000 different factors every second, you can still have fun and be useful in the more specialized, smaller ships.
Levvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #16
Spiffae
Reaper

The first month of EVE is the hardest, when yes, the missions are all fedex, the combat is just sit around and shoot until someone blows up, and skills take a long time. As times goes on though, it really changes. The options that open up are amazing, the payoffs are huge, and the game gets more and more interesting. Instead of flying by those bounty signs, you can read them and hunt down the bounty in your stealth bomber. Cool stuff.

The only complaint I have is that EVE can be a lonely place. Find a corp, it makes all the difference.
Spiffae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #17
mister_slim
**** Killed the EvAv Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft
Why does all inhouse content lead to a forum post? Why not just format it like any other news story?

Just curious.
Frontpage space, I assume. Though they could just stick the actual content in the second post.

mister_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #18
BadIronTree
Dread Lord

"So far the missions the missions are FED EX missions"
OMG?!!??!!?
you played 2-3 days and you know ***
3 years now i never have done an courier mission
you choose the type of agent you want!!!
pure PvE to kill npcs
or trading or courier or mining or R&D or....
there are also agent that give many of them mixed...
have you tryed some complexes "dungeons"?
i meen wtf... 2 day is not even to start.. 14 days max are NOT enaff to learn about it..
exept if you have a friend to teach you or join a good corp that train noobs
BadIronTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm on my second time playing this game and I enjoy it quite a bit. It is certainly not WoW or other MMORPG's, but it has a lot of freedom. I'm about to purchase my 3rd ship and I'm built up to the point now where I can generate several Million Credits in a couple of days, so buying new ships is just a matter of picking what I want to purchase and then training up the skills.

As you train more skills, more stuff opens up. I'm about to try Ice Harvesting, which will require several new skills, a new ship (I want a dual turret ship instead of the single High Energy slot ship I have now) and new hardware for my ship.

While it requires a great deal of patience to get to the point where I can do something like Ice Harvesting, it has its own rewards being able to do something new.

I also think of EVE as a "late night" game. I like to play while I'm reading a book or watching a movie, instead of the more focused gaming session you would have playing a shooter or a traditional MMORPG.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree
i meen wtf... 2 day is not even to start.. 14 days max are NOT enaff to learn about it..
Keep in mind that 14 days are what most people will have before deciding if they want to purchase the game. If they don't find something they like doing during those 14 days, they won't buy the game.

I enjoy mining, I've always been into mining in games like UO and WoW, so the ability to mine asteroids and get money to buy bigger ships was a real draw for me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote