Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 09:49 AM
390 Replies, 26,565 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

MMO Sale on Steam - 20-75% Off

The current weekend deal on Steam features a large selection of MMOs on sale at 20-75% off.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
modeps
Get busy living.

Those mother fuckers. I just bought Guild Wars Trilogy for full price! Damn you Steam!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
Those mother fuckers. I just bought Guild Wars Trilogy for full price! Damn you Steam!
I saw on the Steam Community Blotter that you purchased it not too long ago. The first thing I thought when I saw the sale was modeps is going to be pissed off.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
lallous
Evil Dead

Too bad I am not a fan of MMORPGs.
lallous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallous View Post
Too bad I am not a fan of MMORPGs.
or that most charge monthly fees

looking forward to age of conan following DDO's footsteps soon.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Guild wars is the only title up there worth getting. It's not a real MMO you simply buy the game and play it online.

Sadly... many other MMORPGs have produced half-arsed content emulating guild wars success only to end up in the rubbish bin like Conan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
BigBPlaya
Evil Dead

All these PC games sales that GoGamer and Steam offer make me wish I had the money to upgrade my PC....

It still runs like a champ after 7 years but the P4 processor and Raedon 9800 Pro just don't cut it anymore for most games.
BigBPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Apushmataha
Evil Dead

Pirates of the Burning Sea seems like a much better purchase from gogamer's 48 hr madness sale ($2.90).

I've always been interested in trying out EQ2 out of morbid curiosity, so $10 might get me to try it for a month.
Apushmataha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
bean19
Butt Stallion

For those who want recommendations, here is a little info about some of the best games listed above:

1. Guild Wars Trilogy - While the most expensive, Guild Wars has zero monthly fee and an enormous amount of content. If you have $40 and are not sure what you are going to use for gaming this summer, Guild Wars is an incredibly large game with hours and hours of PvE and endless hours of highly satisfying PvP (especially if you join a guild and get into unlocking skills/characters). GvG is where this game absolutely shines - especially if you find a "fun" guild that wants to do well but is more focused on playing a LOT instead of only playing a few times/week while ensuring wins with perfect guild groups.

2. City of Heroes: Architect Edition - If you haven't played CoX, then this may be worth a try. While the game can be a bit of a grind in higher levels and there is not much variation in gameplay, new players will definitely not get bored before they get their $16's worth. Incredible costume customization and a fun battle system as well as a refreshing MMO theme make this worth trying.

3. Age of Conan: Hypborian Adventures - The graphics and gameplay are top-notch. Unfortunately, at launch they only had about 40 levels worth of content that could be pushed through in 2-3 weeks. I've heard that this has not been remedied completely yet, and that the PvP game at top levels is completely destroyed because the class balance allows for one-hit kills. Plus, guild cities are not worth the effort involved to create or the effort involved to attack or destroy them. There is not an endgame worth mentioning. Purchase this as a super high-quality budget game you expect to play for only a month and you'll love the $10 you spent. Expect more and you'll be sorely disappointed.

4. Pirates of the Burning Sea - If you enjoyed Sid Meier's Pirates, then you'll enjoy the combat in this game even more. It behaves in the same way for the ship battles but you have the added benefit of playing with others. It is the same thing over and over and character growth soon becomes too slow to break up the formula, but it is definitely worth the $16 if you approach it as a great one-month title and not an MMO you have to marry for a year.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
gojira
Evil Dead

If the $16 bucks is killing you, City of Heroes also has a 14 day free trial, no credit card required. You'll need a fast internet connection to download the sucker though.

http://www.cityofheroes.com/trial/index.html
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Druxk
Evil Dead

Wow. I might have to hit up some Guild Wars.
Druxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxk View Post
Wow. I might have to hit up some Guild Wars.
I'm tempted to get Guild Wars Trilogy too.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Guild Wars is totally worth it guys. The one remaining expansion you'll need is often found for $15 online as well.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Trazzlo the Magnificant
Peon

I might buy EQ2 Shadow, since I still haven't bought the expansion.

If you like playing a game and really playing all of it then EQ2 has an interesting option. You can turn off experience completely, and then turn it back on to level. That way you can play all areas at all levels without the content becoming trivial.

What are the benefits to doing that? For one, you can get Achievements (character benefits) without leveling. Your character becomes quite powerful, and so you can take on harder and harder content. The harder the content cons to your character (and you win the fight), the better the loot becomes.

So, you end up with lots of loot drops and the ability to take on content intended for groups ... but all by your lonesome. Or, with a small group that does really hard content.

We play this way exclusively now, and its really made the game fun again.
Trazzlo the Magnificant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
bean19
Butt Stallion

Trazzlo - Are you retired or independently wealthy? I can't imagine playing all the junk (or even traveling to it) in EQ2 while working full time.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
Trazzlo the Magnificant
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Trazzlo - Are you retired or independently wealthy? I can't imagine playing all the junk (or even traveling to it) in EQ2 while working full time.
Well, its about the same junk as you get in every other game, but a lot more of it.

We just play slowly ... it's been about 4 years so far and we still don't have a single character over 55. But, we do like just puttering about, and playing all of the zones rather than just grinding through as fast as possible, while only seeing about 1% of it.

Some people like that way of playing, some hate it. What we like is that there is never a shortage of things to do, or new places to see or quests, and they all pay off in terms of drops and challenge.
Trazzlo the Magnificant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Trazzlo, you have me itching to play EQII again. I have not played it or WoW since LotR Online came out. I quit LotR over a year ago. I often struggle to fight off that damn MMO calling!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
GraveMatter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Trazzlo, you have me itching to play EQII again. I have not played it or WoW since LotR Online came out. I quit LotR over a year ago. I often struggle to fight off that damn MMO calling!
Damn you guys! I bit on Shadow Odyssey. I haven't played EQII in about a year but it is my favorite MMO. I just couldn't pass up $9.99 for TSO.

I'm like Trazzlo, I don't have a character over 55 because I like exploring everything. EQII has always been my favorite due to the amount of great content and sites to see along the way.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Guild Wars is an MMO?
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Jaybo
Knight

City of Heroes is a very very good MMO. Age of Conan, not so much.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote