Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:16 PM
1 Replies, 299 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
modeps
Get busy living.

Pikmin, Mario Tennis Remakes for Wii in 2009

Gamasutra has a rundown of the titles Nintendo has promised thus far for its systems and sadly, even though the countless times that we've heard that there are plenty of games coming for 'core' gamers from Nintendo, there's really not much on the list worth noting other than Mario Tennis, Pikmin, and a new Pokey-man for the DS.

Here's the biggest kicker... both Pikmin Wii and Mario Tennis hold the prefixed branding "New Play Control!" which means that these are almost 1:1 remakes of GameCube titles, but with new waggle support.

Quote:
The New Play Control! brand attached to Pikmin connotates a line of titles ported from the GameCube with new controls and graphical improvements. Nintendo also plans to put out New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis, a remake of the Camelot-developed Mario Power Tennis, in March.
Adding Pikmin and Tennis to Kart and Animal Crossing as lazy ports just goes to show you really don't give one crap about your loyal fanbase who has stuck by for the past 20 years.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Sir_Realist
Squire

No chance that the line "new play control" could refer to the new wiimote add on?
Sir_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
McNinja
Death Knight

Quoted from article: The New Play Control! brand attached to Pikmin connotates a line of titles ported from the GameCube with new controls and graphical improvements

Just wanted to point out that:
1. Adding waggle and upping the graphics doesn't scream "Lazy port!"
2. There is an all new Pikmin game coming to the Wii. It was confirmed by Miyamoto.
3. Two years into the Wii's life, we already have a new Mario platformer, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Metroid and Zelda. I can't really make a case for them not giving a crap about the hardcore.
McNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Syl
Evil Dead

Likewise, aren't they adding online play to Tennis in some fashion?
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

I might get Pikmin. Out of that entire list of Wii games, I might get Pikmin... only because I already own all the other Pikmin games and think the Wii controls MIGHT work best with Pikmin. That's sad.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Furious Wang
Tu-Wang Master

With the gamecube, Nintendo waited way too long after release to offer up its core franchises. With the Wii, Nintendo has already show us all the big games that have kept them in business for decades. Now it seems they've blown their load too early and its got a lot of people pissed that there's no imminent round 2.

It would be cool if 3rd parties were making decent games that people wanted to buy. It would be cooler if Nintendo could at least announce follow ups to their popular series and maybe show a screenshot or two to string us along. But reality is if you're a hardcore Nintendo fan, you likely already have at least 6 titles in your collection (Galaxy, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Kart, Paper, etc.) and that's well over the average attach rate for most consoles.
Furious Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
thehardac
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNinja View Post
Quoted from article: The New Play Control! brand attached to Pikmin connotates a line of titles ported from the GameCube with new controls and graphical improvements

2. There is an all new Pikmin game coming to the Wii. It was confirmed by Miyamoto.
3. Two years into the Wii's life, we already have a new Mario platformer, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Metroid and Zelda. I can't really make a case for them not giving a crap about the hardcore.
You make an excellent point. Seems like some people just want to bash on the Nintendo parade, be Nintendo haters just because. Either that or they are too dumb to realize these aren't just lazy ports.
thehardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
modeps
Get busy living.

Quote:

To your points:
1) To me, it does. I don't want a remake. I want new titles based on these IPs. I've already played Pikmin and Power Tennis, I'd rather not play them again with motion controls.
2) That linked article says nothing more than they are working on Pikmin. Miyamoto never stated what the game was going to be. Sure, they're making Pikmin, thats not a lie... but its also not
3) Mario Galaxy is the only game that you listed that makes me feel good (although I have not played Paper Mario). Kart, while entertaining, is uninspired. I hated playing Smash Brothers with wiimote/nunchuck. Metroid was OK but I got tired of the controls... and Zelda was a Gamecube game ported to the Wii which I couldn't care enough to finish (and until it came out, considered Zelda my single favorite series of all systems).

I'm so tired of defending Nintendo. I've been playing their games since the NES came out... and up to the GameCube things were fine (even with its poor game support).

The Wii was not meant for me and its fairly clear with just about every one of their first party titles that while they make money, they only care about soccer moms and people that have never touched a Nintendo system before.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
modeps
Get busy living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehardac View Post
You make an excellent point. Seems like some people just want to bash on the Nintendo parade, be Nintendo haters just because. Either that or they are too dumb to realize these aren't just lazy ports.
Trust me, I'm not bashing for the sake of bashing. Every ounce of me wanted to love the Wii.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Commander_Pants
Peon

I had a wii when it launched as I've bought every Nintendo console since the NES. I played Zelda, Paper Mario and Mario and I got of it.

So many stupid shitty games on the console, so many stupid non-appealing games from Nintendo. I don't know if it's because I've gotten older, but the Wii doesn't interest me and that's scary as I LOVED me GCN. I had like 40 games for it!
Commander_Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Zaro
Evil Dead

I've never try any Mario Tennis, then I can see myself buying it if the control is well done. That can make a new good party game.

I've already play Pikmin so i will wait for a new one, but what's interesting with the remake is that you can replay any day you want, if i remember well, in Pikmin you've got 30 days to rebuilt your spaceship and if a day pass you can't go back. That will make the game easier for casual gamer.
Zaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Switcher
Evil Dead

Tons of trolls in this thread. Someone should put up a sign.
Switcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Switcher
Evil Dead

Quote:
I hated playing Smash Brothers with wiimote/nunchuck. Metroid was OK but I got tired of the controls...
So much fail all in one place.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
modeps
Get busy living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
Man, I hate having an opinion that you disagree with. How can we ever be friends?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
McNinja
Death Knight

Modeps, I would have quoted your post, but it was kinda long, so I'll just write my reply.
  1. I can understand that they're not the "new IPs" that you want. That said, I think that for some people (like me), the new controls will be reason enough to pick up either Pikmin or Mario Tennis.
  2. I think it's pretty clear that they are making a Pikmin game, there didn't seem to be any ambiguity about it. If it's not new, IGN, Gamespot and bunch of other sites are all wrong in their reporting.
  3. I think we're gonna have to disagree here. Arguing about games being good always ends up being subjective (I personally loved Metroid and the Gamecube controller can always be used for Smash) I do agree about Zelda though, that game would have kicked ass 5 years ago.

New Nintendo-made IP's would be nice, but if I buy a Nintendo game it's almost always because it's something familiar and "main line". My new IP needs are sated by 3rd parties. The Wii has a small but growing list of games for the "hardcore" that are all new IPs, so it worked out OK for me. That said, Nintendo has also released new Battalion Wars and Fire Emblem games, both of which are games for the hardcore, so I don't think they're not trying.

While I've just spent a lot of time just defending the Wii, I don't consider myself a Nintendo fanboy. I own a 360, PS2 and a Wii with loads of games for each (especially the PS2). I just think that people often tend to expect something "above and beyond" from the Wii and/or Nintendo for no good reason.
McNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
Switcher
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
Man, I hate having an opinion that you disagree with. How can we ever be friends?
Oh, I'm not disagreeing, I'm just pointing out something. It's a FACT everyone knows Wiimote/Nunchuck controls are ass with Smash, but it's a fact that doesn't matter, cuz you can still using the GC pads. Which work great, flawlessly even!

And what did you get "tired" about with Metroid? The precise aiming? Well, I kinda agree with that, I hated the fact that my blasts always hit what I was aiming at. Even know, deep in the recesses of my head, I long for cumbersome analog controls for Metroid Prime 3.

Sadly, it will never come to be.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
The only one who isn't failing is Nintendo. They get to make a profit on hardware, people love them and will defend them to the death and they only have to put out one game for each frachise for each hardware generation and then they just wash, rinse and repeat.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
modeps
Get busy living.

McNinja, I would also quote, but your post was longish as well!

It is my opinion that Nintendo has changed focus. Instead of working on incredible games that are good on their own, they feel that the controller is interesting enough to make a weak game good.

When I heard a new Animal Crossing for the Wii was being developed, I got excited. The possibilities for it were great. Instead we got the same game we've been playing since it came out on the GCN with some new stores and voice chat. It would be great if I had never played AC before, but well... its not a great thing for vets.

Just having "motion controls" isn't enough to make a game good. I think the SIXAXIS proved that point... thing is, people who normally wouldn't buy games just keep buying them for the Wii.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
Flatpicker
Cranky Wizard Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The only one who isn't failing is Nintendo. They get to make a profit on hardware, people love them and will defend them to the death and they only have to put out one game for each frachise for each hardware generation and then they just wash, rinse and repeat.

You gotta love the business model though.
People are so smitten for the big N that they get a pass.

Flatpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Flatpicker
Cranky Wizard Type

Quote:

Actually, to me that would be the definition of "Lazy Port".

Flatpicker is offline   Reply With Quote