Last post by Azzy
Today 12:36 AM
5 Replies, 829 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
modeps
Get busy living.

Don't Buy Wii Speak Used

Its one thing for a publisher to include some one-time-use codes with their game to curb used game sales. Its another when a peripheral manufacturer does it. MTV Multiplayer is reporting that the Wii Speak Channel will only be available for those that purchase the Wii Speak new.

Quote:
The peripheral can also be used without “Animal Crossing,” just for game-free voice chat, but that requires used of the Wii Speak Channel, which will be released in December.

But there’s a catch, a fine print surprise. There is a pamphlet packaged with the peripheral that includes a 16-character code, a “Wii Download Ticket Number,” to be used for downloading the Wii Speak Channel. According to the pamphlet, this code “cannot be replaced by Nintendo or your retailer if it is lost or stolen.”

A Nintendo rep further clarified to me that the channel won’t be able to be downloaded through any other means. You won’t be able to get it off the Wii Shopping Channel manually, nor would you be able to buy it. Essentially, the Wii Speak Channel will be available to new purchasers of the Wii Speak mic and that’s it.
Fail.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Isn't Nintendo making enough money all ready? Greed is what got us into trouble all ready.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
lightguard
Knight

I guess they don't want people working out how to make third-party headsets.

I don't see how that'll stop in-game chat with them, though, and how many people will use the channel, anyway?
lightguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
pooty-tang
Dread Lord

It's great to have a front-row seat to a repeat of history.
pooty-tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Your Good Twin
Evil Dead

Nintendo, as a company, has a history of being the cockiest motherf**kers around. Sony took up their crown of ego after the ridiculous success of the Playstations and Nintendo had to go all humble, but I can't believe I actually thought they'd be cool if they got back on top again. Now there they are and they don't give two shits about us, just like back in the mid 90's. Putting their garbage VOIP service behind barriers, it makes me want to spit.

With the way stuff like this is going with video gaming right now, it makes me so pessimistic about the whole f**king business.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
mkelehan
Evil Dead

Good for them. If you don't give them money, you don't get the software. That's kind of the way life works.
mkelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
greenapple
Evil Dead

So you got people who say that the used game market is the evil, but when a company decides to take its own measures to curb their loses, they're now the evil?

The used game market is legitimate and legal. Developers doing what they can to limit its impact is legitimate and legal too.

If you don't like the measure, don't buy the product. End of story.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Chaos Machine
Banned

if by fail you mean great idea then yes, I am all for any initiative that can help destroy gamestop's primary business model(aka sucking the life out of developers)
Chaos Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Sayshu
Knight

We Needed a New Word For a While for this type of BS

thus

inevitafail.

Defined as a widely expected outcome, that even with the prior knowledge beforehand, is disheartening nonetheless when it actually occurs.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Jotoco
Evil Dead

The whole console business with it's peripherals, with the sale of contents already on the disc, the day one patches with critical stuff and everything and the PC is the dead platform... Not to mention the whole shovelware wave and stuff.

Thank God for PC, modding (and to an extent, cracking) community! If someone tries to pull some shit like this in PC it would be about 24hours before someone finds a workaround and tell those fuckers to go to hell!

I understand not wanting to have the used market for GAMES, but if this shit catches soon we won't be able to resell our consoles...
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Worldcrafter
Cunning Stunt Bonus

Nintendo is the new Sony?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
darklordjames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
So you got people who say that the used game market is the evil, but when a company decides to take its own measures to curb their loses, they're now the evil?

The used game market is legitimate and legal. Developers doing what they can to limit its impact is legitimate and legal too.

Congratulations on being the first reasonable person I have seen on EvAv in a long fucking time!
darklordjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Quote:

I will not,doesn't mean I have to like it, or can't bitch about it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
Opty
Evil Dead

Hey guys, don't buy a car used, you don't get the manufactuer's warranty! What greedy fucks!
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:

All of it too true.

This kind of thing is the natural progression of the business. DLC is one way publishers/developers attempt to extract some money from gamers who buy used. Now, games like Gears (map codes in new games) and this game are taking it to the next and next-next step.

Face it...without people PAYING, there is no product, and used games put nothing into the end of the industry where the games are produced. Period. When the "fine print" of a product is not to one's liking, one should keep one's money and move along.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opty View Post
Hey guys, don't buy a car used, you don't get the manufactuer's warranty! What greedy fucks!
I can't agree with this comparison. It should be something along the lines that EACH AND EVERY car is attached to your ID number when it gets out of the factory, and you can't EVER sell it to another person.

Now, protection to the games should be something along the lines of buying and selling used tires.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
darklordjames
Banned

But you can sell it, just at diminished value. Just like a used car.
darklordjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
Syl
Evil Dead

I see this more of attaching a channel into the peripheral than it is attaching the peripheral to the channel.

It makes more sense than going "hey, you can download this channel and pay for it - but you have to BUY something else to make it work". Instead it's "You buy the peripheral, and you get the channel it's made for." Due to the way Wii downloadable software works, it's stuck on the Wii that bought it. Like every other piece of Wii downloadable software.

I really don't see a problem with this.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #19
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post
But you can sell it, just at diminished value. Just like a used car.
except the other person can't use the car...
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
SuperMonkeyFighter2
Subscriber

Quote:

Very well put
SuperMonkeyFighter2 is offline   Reply With Quote