Last post by screwyluie
Today 05:21 PM
11 Replies, 826 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

360 First Gen Games Single Threaded?

According to the Inquirer, all the initial release games on the XBox 360 will be single threaded.

Quote:
During a talk on multithreaded programming, Microsoft used the three core, two thread per core Xbox360 as an example.

The bombshell was that the first generation of Xbox titles, all of them, are single threaded. Not good.
I'm assuming the Microsoft Spokesperson is referring to first party titles, but this is interesting if it holds true, we could see a larger than normal gap in the quality of titles between the first gen/second gen release. Of course, this was from the Inquirer.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
BigJonno
Back in bl...orange.

"It's a console, who cares?"

"That means that the next batch of 360 games will be even more AWESOME!"

"That's why they're so sucktacular. Sorry, that should be ***ucktacular!"

"Mmmmmm, Mario......."

Right, that's the relevant posts dealt with, who wants dibs on the derail?

BigJonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
NoName
Banned - Am not!

This isn't anything unexpected, and as the article mentions the PS3 launch titles are likely to be even worse. Most these games were already in development for the Xbox and just got shifted over to the 360. Then there's the learning curve for developing for the new system. This is why I'm in no rush to get a 360 at launch...
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Tennistoad
Dread Lord

The inquirer is right way more than they are wrong... Plus if pgr3 looks and runs as good as everyone is saying then once they do start multithreading watch out!!!!

/of course once they start multithreading *** will come out with the quantum powered xbox2060p which will only be using one quantum..
Tennistoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
NoName
Banned - Am not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJonno
Right, that's the relevant posts dealt with, who wants dibs on the derail?

We could always bring up how fitbabits was beat up by a 9 year old girl. That's a derail that never gets old!
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
Schnoogs
Banned

This is old news...Epic commented on this and the difficulties of coming up with a multithreading architecture. In fact they made it sound like even the best minds in the industry like Tim Sweeney and John Carmack are up against a formidable challange in coming up with multithreaded versions of their game engines.

Could be interesting...this may be a case where the technology is years and years ahead of the software.

In my efforts to write a multithreaded game engine it was very difficult coming up with a game loop that allowed for the concurrent access to the game data by the rendering, physics, and AI engines. Generally speaking the rendering engine is waiting on the physics engine which is waiting on the AI engine to update the game state.

Not an easy challange and we shouldn't be surprised if all these additional CPUs are spent doing nothing but loading level data to spare us those uncomfortable 20 second level load times.

My two cents....
Schnoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
trip1eX
Evil Dead

Well don't forget the gpu is more important in how a game looks than the cpu. Tho you need a fast cpu to keep the gpu fed.

Anyway I demoed a few 360 games at Wal-mart. They looked like today's pcgames.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Tennistoad
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin

In my efforts to write a multithreaded game engine it was very difficult coming up with a game loop that allowed for the concurrent access to the game data by the rendering, physics, and AI engines. Generally speaking the rendering engine is waiting on the physics engine which is waiting on the AI engine to update the game state.

My two cents....

My head just exploded.. It was already hurting after watching Primer last night and now you just finished it...
Tennistoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #9
Morratut
Evil Dead

This doesn't suprise me at all. Besides this bodes well. If PGR3 is a 1st gen 360 title using only 1 thread then

It means the games are just gonna get better.
Morratut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
sTubbs

I thought that this was already known considering that at E3 most major developers were saying that multithreading will not fully take hold for another 2 or 3 years. The problem is that devs are pretty much limiting their options right now if they choose to build an engine from the ground up based on multithreading, as their only real market would be the 360, and the investment is still too big too risk.