6 Replies, 604 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
Varsity
Fine Nonsense

TF2 Pyro update & Meet the Sniper near

From this week's Steam update news:

Quote:
We've almost completely wrapped up the next big release for Team Fortress 2, which will focus on the Pyro class, along with the Meet the Sniper movie. We've spent time looking at how the recent Medic release went, and have rolled feedback from that release into the new item designs for the Pyro and into the design of the achievements required to unlock those items. One item, shown here in concept form, will be the Axtinguisher. Although it does about half of normal damage to standard run-of-the-mill non-burning enemies, once you light someone on fire the Axtinguisher will guarantee a critical hit.

Along with all of the new content, we're also going to be making some significant changes to the Pyro class for everyone, regardless of whether they have unlocked any new items.
Only another six months to go, then!
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

There goes Valve being SMRT again.
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
Varsity
Fine Nonsense

I think it's a great mechanic. It's brilliant fun to run in and bring a finishing blow down with the fire axe already...but throw a guaranteed crit in as a bonus? Awesome!

Last edited by Varsity; 06-07-2008 at 07:23 AM..
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
BloodPack
Soul Reaper

Everytime one of these comes out it will bring me back into the game for a week or two, but do they really need to announce these silly 30 second movies. I mean I think there funny and all, but fuck do they take forever to make, just release them all when there done.
BloodPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Crono
Soul Reaper

They take "forever to make" because they're high quality. I actually DO look forward to them, personally... then again, I am a frequent visitor to http://www.cgsociety.org/

Anyway, this is very exciting news! I can't wait to see the new and improved Pyro as this class is the least useful in competitive games, and as far as I can tell, the least played in pub matches as well. He has a lot of potential, but just isn't quite there. I only worry that he may be too easy to make imbalanced... We'll see what Valve has come up with I guess!

MMMMMPH MMMMPH MMMMMMMMMMPH!

Blizzard
Wrath of the Lich King - '08
StarCraft 2 - '09
Diablo III - '09/'10
I know. I can barely believe it myself.
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Triprotic
Evil Dead

Yay for the pyro

I love the pryo, but he always seems slightly underpowered.
Triprotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
51|RandoM
Banned

I'm going to exploit the hell out of that axtinguisher. +flaming_axe bind FTW. Press a key get a microburst of flame with an immediate axe followup.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Vyzov
Waaagh!

I think the scoring changes are going to hit with this update.
Vyzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Ghostbear
Maker of Ghostbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triprotic View Post
Yay for the pyro

I love the pryo, but he always seems slightly underpowered.
Then you obviously haven't seen me play a pyro.
Gamertag: Ghostbear Khan
Steam-Ghostbear1.evav
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
Yama
Lord

It's easy to cause a lot of chaos when playing as a Pyro, but it's not easy to convert all that mayhem into actual kills and kill assists. A newbie pyro is a good distraction, an expert pyro can be a walking funeral pyre.

I look forward to the Pyro updates, as it's my favourite class, even though I'm more consistently good with other classes.
Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
cp#
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
ahahahahhahaha no
cp# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Vyzov
Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
If the "significant changes to the Pyro class" are the scoring changes they were talking about awhile back, you'll frequently be top of the server.
Vyzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyzov View Post
If the "significant changes to the Pyro class" are the scoring changes they were talking about awhile back, you'll frequently be top of the server.
He'll have a lot of other pyro competition if the changes are that drastic.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Mason
Philosophical Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama View Post
It's easy to cause a lot of chaos when playing as a Pyro, but it's not easy to convert all that mayhem into actual kills and kill assists. A newbie pyro is a good distraction, an expert pyro can be a walking funeral pyre.

I look forward to the Pyro updates, as it's my favourite class, even though I'm more consistently good with other classes.
Eh, that's a pretty narrow view of what makes a class "good". If you help your team win, you're doing well, regardless of what appears on the scoreboard. On Dustbowl, a Pyro that kills no one and yet forces half the defending team to run back to their spawn just opened a huge hole in the defense. This isn't quantified in the scoring, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

As Random noted, the new ax really seems to lend itself to cheap binds. Heavies will be incredibly easy targets. I'm concerned about some of these unlocked weapons being a little too all-purpose; neither Valve nor the community want to see farming achievements become a necessary evil of staying competitive.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
kefka95
Lord

Sounds great - Pyro is my favorite class. I just hope they learn from their mistakes the first time around and fix the god-awful "achievements = new weapons" system.

New weapons = great
New achievements = great
Achievements tied to major gameplay elements in a game that's based entirely on everyone being on equal footing = worst idea ever

Is it really necessary to require achievements for new weapons? Why not just make the weapons available so everyone can use them, and the people who want achievements can get achievements? I love TF2, but I just don't have that much time to play it, and there's no way I'll ever get to use all of the new weapons if they continue like this.

In other words, I'll likely just stop playing the game after awhile, as seeing other players with new weapons that you don't have access to just kind of kills the fun, especially when you don't have hours and hours on end to farm achievements. And no, many of the achievements (at least for Medic) do not occur in the natural course of the game.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this update plays out.
kefka95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
Tempest261
Reaper

Maybe Valve can actually fix the Custom/Internet tabs so I can finally filter out the custom servers and play this game again. Playing with modified respawn times completely hoses the TF2 gameplay dynamic. And don't get me started about the abhorrent custom maps...
Tempest261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
Wackman3000
Magic PC Since 2003!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51|RandoM View Post
He'll have a lot of other pyro competition if the changes are that drastic.
Fine by me. I have a feeling that a solid heavy medic team could easily wipe out all the achievement whoring pyros.

Rogue, I have a feeling that the 25 assists could be near for you.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #18
Pluvious
Evil Dead

Just like before.. just goto an 'achievement' map and power up in a hour. >yawn< Just stay out of "real" games if you want to achievement whore mkay?

I wish Valve would stop teasing us with 'it's almost here' every week.. just put the goddamn thing out and quit being douche bags about it.
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #19
Disgustipated
Banned

I can't wait. Pyro is in my top 3 favorite classes. Of course, I should probably start playing TF2 again...
Disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Yama
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Eh, that's a pretty narrow view of what makes a class "good". If you help your team win, you're doing well, regardless of what appears on the scoreboard. On Dustbowl, a Pyro that kills no one and yet forces half the defending team to run back to their spawn just opened a huge hole in the defense. This isn't quantified in the scoring, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.
I didn't state my opinion in terms of the class being good or bad. The class is fun and suits my playstyle, and that's why I play it. Though someone earlier in the thread stated the opinion that they were underpowered, and I think this comes from it being harder to score points as a Pyro.

Pyros are great to have in your team, and their efforts can definitely contribute to a stunning victory, but it's not easy to get massive kill and kill assist streaks. Best I've done so far is 11 kills with one life, which is pretty damn good, but is outshined by my performance with other classes. Doesn't make the class bad, it just means your efforts aren't being recognized.
Yama is offline   Reply With Quote