Last post by Kreigmstr
Today 04:56 PM
50 Replies, 3,327 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #41
Shifteh
Evil Dead

Quote:
When are people going to realize that thumb operated trackballs are far better for gaming?
When are people going to realise their opinions are not the be-all-end-all of ideas? It's not like because you like a trackball, it is automatically better for everyone else. I can stand them myself, but I'm not going to sit here and go: "If you aren't using invert mouse, you must be stupid. Wake up people, it's my way!"
Shifteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 AM   #42
Rommel
International Playboy

Yes, it is what they were designed for. Despite the fact that many find using buttons with many options around them, including the number row, space bar, F row, tab, shift and ctrl keys we should switch to the buttons that were designed for this use. Sure. Just let me grow GIANT OGRE HANDS to reach the 1 button for when I need to gouge during a flag run without ending my strafe.

They would also help with jerking off since, ya know, huge cock 'n' stuff.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #43
rubek

Nice review!
I have been using the original Razor Boomslang now for about 4 years, and it's still going. Driver support was a bit lazy when XP hit, but other than that, I have nothing but praise for Razor. I'll definitley be upgrading to another soon. The on-the-fly sensitivity is a must for me now, and so easily accomplished on the Razor's. As mentioned earlier, the trick to these mice is using the fingers to move instead of the whole hand, which actually makes the mouse a lot more comfortable to use over an extended period of time.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #44
MrMeatshake
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero
Screw WASD. I use the arrow keys, it's what they were meant for. I prefer having that bit of room between them and my other binded keys for other moves, so I don't accidentally hit the wrong thing.
oh, man, back in the day. when the arrow keys were used for turning. i remember the first day my friend whipped us at doom using +mlook. "you can't look with the mouse! that's crrrrazy talk!!"
Old 09-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #45
Crabby
Evil Dead

Eh. I only, only, only use WASD for MMOs due to the required use of the number row and F keys. And in the beginning with titles like UO, EQ, AC, AO, DAoC, etc; it wasn't even necessary to go full-throttle on WASD.

As far as FPS goes, the arrows keys more than meet any game's demands. Any extra bindings are taken care of with the surrounding key sets such as the numpad area. Need to toss a quick nade? Bind it to End. Reload? Delete key. It is all very fluid and natural to the hand's shape.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 AM   #46
Stormwatcher
Weighted Companion Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby
Eh. I only, only, only use WASD for MMOs due to the required use of the number row and F keys. And in the beginning with titles like UO, EQ, AC, AO, DAoC, etc; it wasn't even necessary to go full-throttle on WASD.

As far as FPS goes, the arrows keys more than meet any game's demands. Any extra bindings are taken care of with the surrounding key sets such as the numpad area. Need to toss a quick nade? Bind it to End. Reload? Delete key. It is all very fluid and natural to the hand's shape.
It may be "fluid and natural" for you, but it isn't for many people. It is not like you discovered some marvellous secret that the unwashed masses cannot fathom. This is not the MTV web forums, we are ALL gamers here. WASD is just better for most of us. As I mentioned before, there are people who insist that a dual analog gamepad is better than WASD+mouse for FPS, and those who firmly believe that flight and space sims (yeah, do you remember space sims?) should be played with the arrow keys, and that joysticks suck.

There are all kinds of crazies.
Stormwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:37 AM   #47
Crabby
Evil Dead

Last time I checked the act of writing or saying anything out of my own mouth immediately made it my opinion. Acknowledging that...you're obviously too sensitive. I'm giving feedback to the topic with my own experience. I don't need it refuted with lame analogies of gamer righteousness. MTV? Really? I thought we were talking about the latest Fiddy Cent album.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #48
ÜberJumper
Official Relic Stalker

Knite:

Here's what I use... Microsoft Trackball Optical. I find it extremely frustrating to use a mouse when gaming. With the sensitivity on the trackball set properly, there's nothing my trackball can't do that a mouse can. My pointing device is always on the same spot on the desk, so should I need to take my hand off the keyboard to do something (say type a command, etc), it's always in the same spot. I never run out of mouse mat, I never run it into anything else, the cord's never getting tangled.

I bear this out by noting that I'm always at the top of my group of online gaming friends on the score sheet when playing FPS games (I play frequently, but not enough to be considered an elite gamer by any stretch of the imagination, thus I may not be on the top of the score sheet all the time, but I'm usually well into the top 25%). I will however admit that you've got to have a smidge of skill, as a buddy of mine who hates the mouse just as much as I do, absolutely sucks when its time to tally up the scores.

There might be something to do with my keyboard+pointing device setup, because I'm not WASD (RMB = forward, S = step left, D = step right, space = backwards, A = jump, alt fire = F).

I don't believe that switching to a mouse will improve my gaming. I'd love to try it out, but I don't have 100 bucks to drop on a new mouse (100ish).

Shifteh:

Errr dude, I totally wasn't serious that the trackball is end all be all better. That comment, while devoid of emoticons, was entirely sarcastic. It was intended to spur debate and comments, and it was entirely effective.
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #49
NonSoft
Reaper

It is almost tempting to get a trackball just to see how long it would take me to stop moving it around like a mouse.
NonSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #50
ÜberJumper
Official Relic Stalker

haha, they don't slide, so that'd stop you up pretty damn quick. They've got sticky lil feet.
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #51
Stormwatcher
Weighted Companion Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby
Last time I checked the act of writing or saying anything out of my own mouth immediately made it my opinion. Acknowledging that...you're obviously too sensitive. I'm giving feedback to the topic with my own experience. I don't need it refuted with lame analogies of gamer righteousness. MTV? Really? I thought we were talking about the latest Fiddy Cent album.
You can either state things as an opinion or as a fact. Subjectively or objectively. There is a difference.
And whenever you state anything, you're open for an answer. And my comment was general, for all the people who believe that their way is the ONLY way.
Stormwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 AM   #52
MrMeatshake
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwatcher
You can either state things as an opinion or as a fact. Subjectively or objectively. There is a difference.
And whenever you state anything, you're open for an answer. And my comment was general, for all the people who believe that their way is the ONLY way.
calm down, dear. it's only an internet forum.