Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Milo Yiannopoulos is...
Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 11:06 PM
31 Replies, 3,952 Views
Notch Outbids Beyonce...
Last post by Anenome
Today 10:52 PM
32 Replies, 1,411 Views
Valve's Steam Region...
Last post by Mix-Master
Today 10:47 PM
7 Replies, 563 Views
Master Chief Collection...
Last post by Doctorossi
Today 10:36 PM
17 Replies, 660 Views
Imagine: Star Citizen...
Last post by Doctorossi
Today 10:30 PM
12 Replies, 1,076 Views
Final Fantasy XV - Jump...
Last post by BleedTheFreak
Today 10:11 PM
7 Replies, 573 Views
Halo 5: Guardians -...
Last post by 3Suns
Today 09:21 PM
10 Replies, 754 Views
Evolve - Stalker and...
Last post by 3Suns
Today 09:19 PM
3 Replies, 694 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3
LEGO Unreal Tournament 3 Mod - Works on PS3

Kotaku dug up some videos of a Unreal Tournament 3 mod that makes the game into a LEGO land of blocks. While that sounds pretty cool in it's own right, the really awesome thing is the ability to have completely destructible environments with real physics!

Videos embedded after the break.

One more reason Microsoft that you and Epic need to figure this shit out.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3


bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Gorvi
Dark Resistant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 8,061
Last week wants it's post back.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Deadend
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,431
Thats a map, not a mod from what I can see.

So, how does it run on the PS3? I can imagine having trouble when the physics gets going more than the game was built around.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Yeti2005
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin View Post

One more reason Microsoft that you and Epic need to figure this shit out.
I agree although I think MS is too serious about security, copyright infringement, and pissing on sensitive parents to allow anyone to create mods and release them at will. I suspect they'll have a best of mods section that goes through at least some sort of review to make sure it's not ripping someone off or has offensive symbols or uses too much memory.
Yeti2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト
 
TrackZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 7,759
Cue Lego suing Epic/Sony for this in 5...4....3.....2.....
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Talon-
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Here. There. Everywhere!
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadend View Post
Thats a map, not a mod from what I can see.

So, how does it run on the PS3? I can imagine having trouble when the physics gets going more than the game was built around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero View Post
Cue Lego suing Epic/Sony for this in 5...4....3.....2.....
Oh, Evil Avatar, where positivity is a crime.

It's alright to just say, "Damn, that looks cool and fun," every now and then.

Apparently the custom map with custom textures and custom objects works fine based on anecdotal reports.
__________________
GamerTag: OneTalon | Currently Playing: Madden NFL 09 Grand Theft Auto IV
Quote:
Their marriage was built to last, but their house was built too small.
Talon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
thomasc
Room 215
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadend View Post
Thats a map, not a mod from what I can see.

So, how does it run on the PS3? I can imagine having trouble when the physics gets going more than the game was built around.
I think PhysX can handle a few blocks with basic physics properties...
thomasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Telefrog
Natural 20's only!
 
Telefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lakewood, WA
Posts: 4,918
I downloaded it and played around with it. It's definitely a cool "proof-of-concept," but it's a terrible map for actual gameplay in terms of flow and layout. Definitely forget about bots. They constantly get stuck on the geometry and they really don't navigate the bricks well when they're blown all over the place.

Now that it's been done, I'm excited to see what some more enterprising folk can do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti2005
I agree although I think MS is too serious about security, copyright infringement, and pissing on sensitive parents to allow anyone to create mods and release them at will. I suspect they'll have a best of mods section that goes through at least some sort of review to make sure it's not ripping someone off or has offensive symbols or uses too much memory.
MS has said that they're more than willing to allow user content on the 360, as long as the developer/publisher agree to controlling the flow and handling editorial duties on the submitted content themselves. They will not allow free and open user content on the 360. That's just the way it is.

Having seen what happened during the heyday of Forza 2, I can understand their position. When Turn 10 opened up their vehicle "auction house" to user made paintjobs on cars, they were inundated with porn and hate speech. Every third car for the first month had either hentai or swastikas on them. It was a nightmare.
__________________
Congratulations. You're boned.
GamerTag: Telefrog
ZuneCard: Telefrog
Telefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
Beelzebud
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Microsoft will give you mods on xbox live the moment they figure out how to legally charge you for someone else's work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
Talon-
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Here. There. Everywhere!
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
Having seen what happened during the heyday of Forza 2, I can understand their position. When Turn 10 opened up their vehicle "auction house" to user made paintjobs on cars, they were inundated with porn and hate speech. Every third car for the first month had either hentai or swastikas on them. It was a nightmare.
Why are there so many assholes online? The internet's great, but it allows people to be irresponsible in what they do and not fear the consequences due to nobody knowing your face/name.

John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory always reigns true.
__________________
GamerTag: OneTalon | Currently Playing: Madden NFL 09 Grand Theft Auto IV
Quote:
Their marriage was built to last, but their house was built too small.
Talon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
silv
is stuck in Europe
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,031
This is like a cute little tech demo. Why is this news? It certainly isn't a game, and we already knew the PS3 could support mods downloaded from PC's and transferred to the system.
silv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Telefrog
Natural 20's only!
 
Telefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lakewood, WA
Posts: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebud View Post
Microsoft will give you mods on xbox live the moment they figure out how to legally charge you for someone else's work.
Bandwidth fee?
__________________
Congratulations. You're boned.
GamerTag: Telefrog
ZuneCard: Telefrog
Telefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
biosc1
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon- View Post
Why are there so many assholes online? The internet's great, but it allows people to be irresponsible in what they do and not fear the consequences due to nobody knowing your face/name.

John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory always reigns true.
Which is why I'm sure Microsoft wants some sort of monetary compensation for allowing mods online. They need to employ people to check it over before it gets posted to Live.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
jeffbax
Shazbot!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
Bandwidth fee?
Isn't that what $50 is for?
jeffbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Variable Gear
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbax View Post
Isn't that what $50 is for?
LOL!

That just made Microsoft's day.
Variable Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 PM.