Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:36 PM
1 Replies, 338 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Call of Duty 4 Interview: Patch & DLC Info

IGN conducted an extensive postmortem interview with Infinity Ward Community Manager Robert Bowling about all things Call of Duty 4. They touch on a wide variety of topics, including how close they were to putting vehicles in the game, why they didn't include co-op play and how the multiplayer air support originally worked. But of most interest are his comments on the upcoming patch and downloadable content
Quote:
IGN: What's the console patch going to resolve?

Bowling:
We're working right now on the features patch, because the majority of it is new features for multiplayer. Right now in our feature patch, the big thing for consoles is host migration. So if the host leaves a game, everyone won't be bounced back to their own private lobbies. If the host leaves, it's going to stop the game, keep everybody together, auto-assign a new host and restart the game. We also added kill cams to everything. We added kill cams to air strikes, so as soon as the bomb leaves the plan, you can follow it all the way to the ground. We added kill cam to grenades, which is my favorite, because whenever you get the "What the [bleep]" grenades that you're just running and you blow up and wonder what the [bleep] just happened -- now you can see that the guy threw it over a building, hit a tree branch, went through a window, rolled between your legs and blew you up. They're also on claymores and RPGS and M203s, which is really good because M203s typically go really far. You can watch it travel through the air and land right into your face.

We also improve sniper and ACOG scopes. Those are going to be more accurate. We have a lot of community feedback about how snipers were broken. The "I know I hit that guy" board posters -- who are in every game everywhere -- well we took a week and looked at it. Our lead character designer, who designed the Ghillie suit, he played around with it for a week and he said, "You know, I think those guys are on to something." We upgraded the spectator cam, so now you can rotate 360 degrees around whoever you're spectating, go from third person to first person. And then there's a bunch of technical optimization that just came as a bi-product of adding host migration and general code work.
--
IGN: How does downloadable content development work? Are the upcoming maps something that was in development at the time IW was working on COD4 and that they were maybe just held back or are they brand new creations?

Bowling:
It depends. These specific maps we are working on now are 95% brand new maps that we started working on after the game shipped. There are a few we are working on that were maps we originally wanted in the shipped game, but didn't get finished in time. I hope our community doesn't feel we held anything back, because we put anything we thought was up to standard in the game. There's a few that are [being worked on] that people will see and say, "Oh, this map is straight from the single-player, why didn't they just put this in the original game?" But really, it's a cool single-player level, but does that really work in multiplayer? And we try to make it work in multiplayer and we're not quite happy with it so we don't include it when the game ships. And we keep tweaking it after launch and adding ladders and new routes and making it more of a multiplayer map. And then once it's finished it comes out as DLC.

So there are one or two that are like that and then the rest are like brand new stuff, 100% new concepts. It's 100% stuff you haven't seen in single player. It's stuff where we sat around and talked, we listened to the community and people saying they want larger maps or more close-quarters maps or more sniping points. We take that feedback and start designing maps around that. What we're working on now is a grab bag. What's actually going to be released, I couldn't tell you. We haven't made those decisions. Right now we're focused on making them great and we'll worry about the rest later.
Unfortunately there is no word on when this batch of downloadable content will show up online.
Dr.Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
CoachCrazyMcScot
The Wheels on the Bus....

Love the kill cameras on grenades and bombs. Thank you very much for the sniper improvement. Infinity Ward is one of the smarter ones out there.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
NeoNecro
Reaper

damn wish they had done something more with m203's like reduce range or made it less accurate at greater distances. its kinda dumb that some maps you can't even leave the spawn before 5 of your teammates get taken out by it
NeoNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
MrWonderstuff
Soul Reaper

"If the host leaves, it's going to stop the game, keep everybody together, auto-assign a new host and restart the game."

Restart the game? Jesus, apart from playing with the same people as before this is a little pointless. Surely some sort of method of transferring hosting during gameplay is better? So when the host leaves the game still gets closed.

The multiplayer is fun granted, but this really isnt making much of a difference IMHO.

I don't play Halo 3 that much but does that have a seemless host switch or does that stop the game and restart?
MrWonderstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
beefyjr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWonderstuff View Post
I don't play Halo 3 that much but does that have a seemless host switch or does that stop the game and restart?
It stops for a moment, assigns a new host, and then more or less starts where it left off.
beefyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Felonous
Evil Dead

This news post isn't big enough, please quote the whole interview on the front page.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Baron Samedi
Mundus Vult Decipi

Wall of text....must read....too much, fuck it.
Baron Samedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Housemixer
Reaper

So will the DLC be free?
Housemixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
Haemorrhage
Classic Migraine

Very interesting read. I was one of the few people who didn't like the MP Beta. However, the retail version has controlled most of the gaming now. I find it takes a few day to get into the multiplayer, but once you do, you are hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemixer View Post
So will the DLC be free?
Good luck with that. Are any DLC maps packs free now a days on the PS3 and 360? I will pay what ever they ask me to pay and gladly support any work the Infinity Ward does.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Deadend
Evil Dead

I want a map designed for CTF, because CTF with claymores sounds amusing.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Blog
Evil Dead

PC players like new maps too...
Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Jack B
Subscriber

Glad to see them updating an already incredible game. I never sniped, so that fix is a negative for me... ***gulp***

As for the host drops. With a party we stayed together anyway. Without one, yeah it was unfortunate, but 99% of the time, I didn't know the guys anyway. Still, it's nice.

Kill cam stuff is cool, but nothing earth shattering. It will be fun to watch the bomb kill cams though. I've often wondered what determines their flight path.

The one useful fix I know some people wanted was an ability to see the ping of a room before you entered or even in the lobby. If you're playing at an odd hour you can get into an Australian or European room at times. I usually just call it a night at that point or check the ping once the game starts. If it's horrible I just leave.

One last fix I would have liked is to see the stats/rankings of people in your lobby who aren't on your friends list.

Anyway, kudos to Infinity Ward. They nailed it with COD 4.

"If I had to make video gamers happy for a living, I'd kill myself."
Jack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

More Kill Cams? Most players I know hate the Kill Cams.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
Blog
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I like them on on servers with a respawn delay or any Search & Destroy map. Better than auto-switching to some yahoo that's probably just staring at a wall anyway...
Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
Inspector Fowler
Gone

All good news, but the people at IGN need to edit their articles better. The incredible number of spelling errors per paragraph is going to make my head explode.
Inspector Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
女荰挞 V錷迖
Dread Lord

Request: If a patch or update comes to a multi-platform game could we put the platform in the title ?

Example:
Call of Duty 4 Interview: 360 Patch & DLC Info.

The article did mention small amounts of PC CoD4, but it was small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan
And you're right...! It's nice to be right...
1st time in 5 years this has happened..I teared up..
Do not click..
女荰挞 V錷迖 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
oldjadedgamer
Old and Jaded

Quote:
Play Team Hardcore, no kill cams.

Being able to move the camera around a player that is sill playing will be super useful for search and destroy when you are playing with a buddy. Even though you can't hear anyone that is sill alive after you die, you can get into a private chat with a friend then they can watch one door and you can swing the camera around them and watch their back to let them know if anyone is coming up on them.
oldjadedgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #18
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Quote:
That's why all the cool kids play Hardcore.
Dr.Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
MelbaToast
Twice Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article View Post
They're also on claymores and RPGS and M203s, which is really good because M203s typically go really far. You can watch it travel through the air and land right into your face.
That'll be great to see the exact way those guys aim the noob toob right at the start of the match to blow you up. This is especially annoying in Search and Destroy matches.

You all know the guys I'm talking about. The ones who've spent hours in private matches figuring out just the right angle to land a grenade up your balls.
Gamertag: l Melbatoast l
MelbaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
cp#
Evil Dead

Quote:
We also improve sniper and ACOG scopes. Those are going to be more accurate. We have a lot of community feedback about how snipers were broken. The "I know I hit that guy" board posters -- who are in every game everywhere -- well we took a week and looked at it. Our lead character designer, who designed the Ghillie suit, he played around with it for a week and he said, "You know, I think those guys are on to something."
.... Ya think? Next time, take a week before the game ships.
cp# is offline   Reply With Quote