4 Replies, 573 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Doctor Setebos
Banned

Wii version of Civilization Revolution 'on hold'

This doesn't bode well.

Quote:
"Development for the Wii version of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is currently on hold," a spokesperson for 2K Games said. "We are focusing our attention on creating the best possible Civilization experience for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo DS platforms."
I was really looking forward to the Wii version of this game. Let's hope this hold doesn't turn into a complete cancellation. This game is perfectly suited to Wiimote control.
Doctor Setebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Yeah, this would have been great for the Wii.
Dr.Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
ezzkmo
Evil Dead

Well that sucks.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Magnanimous Gnome
Pickles!

Hmm, too bad.

I'm really hoping that this turns out well. I'd love to fun Civ-esque title on the 360 and DS.

Rini's official EvAv GBF
Forbidden Fruit

If you're not spanking during sex, you're not doing it right. ~~Lord_Don
Magnanimous Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
kaddar
Reaper

I want wii overhead rpgs and rts's, using the wiimote as a mouse.
kaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Blade
Evil Dead

My interpretation:

"WE HAVE DETERMINED THAT WE DO NOT WANT THE WII TO SUCCEED, REGARDLESS OF HOW GOOD IT TRULY IS. SO, WE ARE GOING TO SLOWLY BUT SURELY PULL OUR SUPPORT. HEY, THE N64 AND GCN HAD POOR 3RD-PARTY SUPPORT. MIGHT AS WELL CONTINUE THE [FUCKING] TREND, HUH?"
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
AndrooGee
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
My interpretation:

"WE HAVE DETERMINED THAT WE DO NOT WANT THE WII TO SUCCEED, REGARDLESS OF HOW GOOD IT TRULY IS. SO, WE ARE GOING TO SLOWLY BUT SURELY PULL OUR SUPPORT. HEY, THE N64 AND GCN HAD POOR 3RD-PARTY SUPPORT. MIGHT AS WELL CONTINUE THE [FUCKING] TREND, HUH?"
The only reason for anyone to intentionally screw over the Wii is if they're making a buck off doing so. Everyone looks out for number one, and I don't really see what they have to gain by pulling their game off of what is (all arguments aside, by popular opinion) the hottest console at the moment.

I would interpret this to mean that Wii controls, while more intuitive and fluid when done well, are harder to perfect. We've seen quite a few examples of why Wii controls need to be fine tuned to the point of perfection, and this isn't nearly as much of a consideration on other consoles.

I think it's pretty reasonable to delay the Wii version and make sure it gleams like a shiny little diamond rather than push it out the door without the extra attention it deserves.
AndrooGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
BabyJesus
It's a PIKEQUAKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrooGee View Post
The only reason for anyone to intentionally screw over the Wii is if they're making a buck off doing so. Everyone looks out for number one, and I don't really see what they have to gain by pulling their game off of what is (all arguments aside, by popular opinion) the hottest console at the moment.

I would interpret this to mean that Wii controls, while more intuitive and fluid when done well, are harder to perfect. We've seen quite a few examples of why Wii controls need to be fine tuned to the point of perfection, and this isn't nearly as much of a consideration on other consoles.

I think it's pretty reasonable to delay the Wii version and make sure it gleams like a shiny little diamond rather than push it out the door without the extra attention it deserves.
Fact is the other versions would probably sell loads more. I don't see this game being a big seller on Wii myself.
BabyJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Ravenlock
Subscriber

Dammit. That's really a shame if it doesn't come out, it would have been perfectly suited to the control style, and online play could have been handled very well both in real time and over intervals, since the "always on" message-based Wii internet system is already practically a play-by-mail interface.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Ravenlock
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrooGee View Post

I wish I agreed, but their quote says they're focusing on the PS3, X360 and DS versions, and putting Wii development on hold. That doesn't sound to me like they're polishing it, it sounds like they're shelving it to maybe come back to later or maybe cancel outright.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
kaddar
Reaper

The coincidence of the wii is that it's simple graphics yet intuitive controls were supposed to make development quicker, but since developers develop graphics for all 3 consoles, then reduce graphics for the wii, for cross-platform games(key phrase), the wii takes longer to develop for.
kaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
beefyjr
Evil Dead

I don't know. I think it would get tiring having to keep your hand kind of held up to be constantly pointing at the tv.
beefyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
TheFlyingOrc
Green Like Doom's Cloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJesus View Post
Fact is the other versions would probably sell loads more. I don't see this game being a big seller on Wii myself.
UNLESS the controls are really good.

If they aren't exceptional, though - it would probably only sell OK.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
TheFlyingOrc
Green Like Doom's Cloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyjr View Post
I don't know. I think it would get tiring having to keep your hand kind of held up to be constantly pointing at the tv.
If you're positioned right, you don't have to keep your hand held up.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Salesmunn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJesus View Post
Civ is better with a mouse than anything else not the Wii mote.
Salesmunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Zinmezz
Squire

Damn it! I was really looking forward to this. Ugh.
Zinmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Using the Wii pointer in lieu of a mouse is not where Wii remote programming becomes difficult.

I'm pretty sure the reason they've decide to shelve it is because they want to make the game prettier than the Wii will allow. In other words, someone has made the decision that graphics are more important than control.

I honestly don't know which is more important for this game to be honest. I would think the hardcore gamers would be more interested in the controls, but the general populous would probably be attracted to prettier visuals.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #18
JimmyDanger
Jaz Rignall was my hero

Surely someone realises that the Wii - and it's comparative lack of horsepower to the PS3/360 - could possibly have wider ranging effects of game development than just "prettier graphics on the bigger systems"

1) AI - for a game like Civ - I'd say this'd be important. Wasn't a Spore dev saying the same thing?

2) Online - The lack of a unified network, and still only some first party releases using/making some tentative steps towards online play - would slow development on an important factor in this game's longevity.

3) Sales - yes. It has been touched on. This sort of game is not the market the Wii is reaching at the moment. Look at the "stellar" sales on (Wii exclusively developed - and a lot more "audience oriented") MySims. Do you think that recouped it's devlopment/advertising budget?

I've owned a Wii since launch - and while I love the idea of it - "less pretty graphics" are hardly the problem with %95 of it's games.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Ravenlock
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyjr View Post
Why do people cite this as a complaint about Wii games? There are NO Wii games where this is an issue. ZERO. Even the FPS games and lightgun shooters like Ghost Squad can be played perfectly well with your arm resting comfortably on something (your leg, an armrest, whatever) aimed at the TV. I wouldn't recommend it for Ghost Squad, it's more fun if you treat the Wiimote as a gun, but you can certainly do it.

I repeat: Attention Internet! For NO games on the Wii do you need to hold your arm out pointed at the TV! Please stop saying it!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
Ravenlock
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
Using the Wii pointer in lieu of a mouse is not where Wii remote programming becomes difficult.

I'm pretty sure the reason they've decide to shelve it is because they want to make the game prettier than the Wii will allow. In other words, someone has made the decision that graphics are more important than control.

I honestly don't know which is more important for this game to be honest. I would think the hardcore gamers would be more interested in the controls, but the general populous would probably be attracted to prettier visuals.
I really doubt visuals are the issue, the Wii could easily handle a game as pretty as Civ IV, and Civ IV is plenty pretty for a Civ game.

That said, JimmyDanger might be onto something about the AI. I really have no idea what the limitations are of the system regarding that, but I can see insufficient AI horsepower sinking the project.