Yesterday 10:35 PM
1 Replies, 450 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

[Comics] - Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Year 3 - Week 47

Welcome to Week Forty-Seven of the Official Evil Avatar Comic Book Reviews

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.

Evil Avatar’s Weekly Comic Book Reviews – Year 3 – Week 47

World War Hulk #5 (of 5)
Reviewed By: Michael Chauvet (Doctor Finger)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Greg Pak
Penciller: John Romita Jr.
Inker: Klaus Janson
Colorist: Christina Strain
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Mark Paniccia
$3.99

Now that’s how you finish a story. After a few meandering issues we get the conclusion to World War Hulk, and it’s one of the best issues I’ve read this year.

The book picks up with Reed Richards, controlled by an obedience disc, about to cave in Tony Stark’s head with a mace. The Hulk watches like a Roman emperor of old, holding the power of life and death in his hands. He forces Reed to swing the mace, but it comes down inches from Stark’s head. Hulk tells the assembled masses that he’s not there for vengeance and murder, but justice. He and his forces haven’t killed anyone and they’re not going to start now. After 5 issues exploring the question of just how much of a monster the Hulk is, we get the answer. He still plans to raze New York City, but he’s going to leave the Illuminati alive to suffer the consequences of their actions. Into this milieu the Sentry appears, and the fight we’ve been waiting for since issue #1 begins. If you told me that the Sentry character was created six or seven years ago just to play this part in the story I would have told you it was worth it. The fight between the Hulk and the Sentry is beautifully epic. They toss each other around like dolls, land blows that shatter the very air around them and seemingly surge with power. The fight takes out a huge chunk of Manhattan, but they’re still too evenly matched. With the Hulk’s stone ship destroyed the heroes now have access to their satellites again, so Reed and Tony try to take control of them, hoping to use them to neutralize the Hulk. The two titans continue to battle, seemingly in the heart of a tornado of flame, until they seem to disappear, replaced by two puny men. Robert Reynolds, the man behind the Sentry, falls, but Bruce Banner stands tall, finally at peace with the not-monster within him. Really, this was one of the best big fight scenes ever. Both combatants are immensely powerful, both are fighting for something they believe in, and both know that they don’t have to hold back. Bruce goes to shake the hand of his old friend Rick Jones, but Miek, the Hulk’s first ally in Sakarr, is incensed that he’s letting the humans live, and tries to stab him with a spear. Rick pushes Hulk out of the way, and takes the spear full in his chest. The Hulk re-emerges and beats the holy hell out of Miek until he makes a revelation – he allowed the warp core to overload back on Sakarr, the act that caused the death of Hulk’s wife and unborn child. Suddenly the Hulk is angry again. In fact he’s angrier than he’s ever been. And the angrier the Hulk gets, the stronger he gets. In this case he’s so angry that power is actually pouring out of him in waves. He stomps his foot once and the ground trembles up and down the east coast. He knows he can’t control the rage, or the power, much longer and tells Stark to stop him before he kills them all. Stark fires the satellites and the Hulk disappears, with only a comatose Banner is left in his place. Banner is placed in a holding tank three miles below the Gamma Base in New Mexico, while on the planet Sakarr his son rises from the very ground.

Bottom Line:
World War Hulk promised tons of action, and it delivered. It also gave you a healthy dose of drama, some pathos and a few really good twists to boot. It did kind of meander a bit in the middle, but the end product is as good as advertised.

Rating: A must own!. (5 out of 5 EvilEyes)

Salvation Run #1 (of 7)
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer: Bill Willingham
Penciller: Sean Chen
Inker: Walden Wong
Colorist: John Kalisz
Letterer: Steve Wands
Editor: Joey Cavaleri
$2.99

Hellish New World

I loves me a good villain tale.

The central conceit of this mini series is simple – take a massive group of DC villains, from the A-list (Joker, Cheetah) to the D-list (Kid Karnevil, Tapeworm) and drop them on a planet (supposedly) bereft of sentient life and deemed safe to keep them from wreaking any more havoc on earth. Our tour guides on this trip, and a pretty solid choice by Willingham, are five members of Flash’s Rogues Gallery. They’re not really psychopaths, they’re more used to working as a group than almost any other villain but they’re still fairly well known. The Rouges were the first wave of villains sent to the planet, and while they’re still finding their way around, they’re leagues more experienced than the second wave. Firstly, they know that the planet is a lot more dangerous than Checkmate told them, and has a lot more sentient life than they expected as well. It’s never explicitly said, but this is obviously the same planet that the Space Heroes from 52 were stranded on, and which Blue Beetle later visited. Soon after they arrive, the Rogues find a few cute little teddy bear-like creatures that are headed for a mythical ‘safe zone’ on the planet. They’re trying to make it to this zone, but they just don’t have the raw power to survive the trek. So when they hear a boom tube open in the distance they seize their opportunity, and head back to get some more recruits. The second wave, including the afore mentioned A-listers, D-listers and everyone in between, are hesitant to follow the Rouges, until one of their number is swallowed and nearly eaten by some burrowing monster. All of this is observed by a pair of mysterious silhouettes (obviously meant to be Darkseid and Desaad), who made sure that Checkmate found a safe planet, but made just as sure that the collected villains don’t leave the planet alive.

While not a great book, it does it’s job – it makes me want the next issue. You look at that two-page spread of villains, a-list to d-list, and you almost cackle in delight as you try and figure out which doesn’t make it off the planet alive. DC smartly didn’t label this one ‘Countdown Presents: Salvation Run’ even though that last page makes it clear that Darkseid is moving the pieces in this one too. Yeah, you know that the name villains are going to make it back to earth at some point, but the thought of Villain Planet is just really interesting. Sean Chen does yeoman’s work on the art; he’s not great but he gets a lot of information into every page and it all looks clean and neat.

Bottom Line:
The DCU meets No Escape.

Rating: Decent, but flip through it before buying. (3 out of 5 EvilEyes)

World of Warcraft #1 (an ongoing series)
Publisher: Wildstorm/DC Comics
Writer: Walter Simonson
Penciller: Ludo Lullabi
Inker: Sandra Hope
Colorist: Randy Major
Letterer: Nick J. Napolitano
Editor: Hank Kanalz
$2.99

Stranger in a Strange Land

Quick confession – I don’t play World of Warcraft. In fact I’ve never played World of Warcraft. So I’m coming into this one with little foreknowledge of the world. The story begins with an Orc slave caravan headed for Dire Maul. They’d just lost their all-star gladiator, Bloodeye. All they have now are a pair of elves, blood and night. As the caravan moves along the shore of a lake they find a human washed up on the shore. He rouses just in time to fight a crocolisk. Armed only with an oar he battles the huge monster, to the amusement of the orcs on the caravan. He kills it and the slaver realizes that he’s found his new gladiator. Of course, this being a comic based on an RPG, our hero has amnesia, forgetting the details of his life but remembering how to fight like a warrior born. He’s thrown into a cage with the to elves, neither of which are too thrilled to see him. The two elves are constantly at one another’s throats, even though they’re supposed to be a team with the amnesiac human. They keep bickering all through a training session, with the female blood elf, Valeera, going so far as to surreptitiously drain the energy of the night elf druid, Broll. The three enslaved gladiators are then forced to fight another team of gladiators, but Broll can’t shapeshift due to Valeera’s draining. The still unnamed amnesiac human rushes in and saves the day, taking the arm off of a troll, slicing a zombie in half and stabbing a tauren in the heart in short order. The slave master sees the potential in this new slave, and the rest of the team, as star gladiators. Assuming they survive a fight with the massive orc that owned the gladiators they just killed.

A very middle of the road effort. I’ve played a lot of RPGs in my day, and this story seems to use every overused trope the genre has ever spat out. An amnesiac hero, hereditary enemies that are forced to team up and become grudging allies, all of whom are forced to become gladiators? All you need is a devil-may-care rogue, a sweetly innocent but powerful girl and a quest for magic jewels and you’d have every Final Fantasy story ever told. The unique visual style of WoW is well represented and all of the characters are visually interesting, although Ludo Lullabi seems to be channeling Joe Madureia a bit too much at times. WoW fans may get a bit more out of the story, I’m sure I just didn’t ‘get’ some of the references, but as a new reader I just wasn’t drawn in by this story.

Bottom Line:
Not bad but very generic.

Rating: Decent, but flip through it before buying. (3 out of 5 EvilEyes)

Quick Hits
Booster Gold #4 - I love this book, although the reveal of who is in the Supernova suit was a little lackluster.
Atomic Robo #2 - The second issue was as great as the first
X-Factor #25 - Messiah Complex needs to pick up the pace a little bit. Still good, but not great.
Dr.Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Sazime
Groucho Marxist

Oh god. Before I comment on anything, I need to call my comic shop and find out why in the hell I didn't get a copy of Booster.... stupid fuckers...
Horror Movie Pudcasting!
Tiger Men Comic Casting!
Sazime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Since my shop wasn't able to get any more copies of Atomic Robo #1, it looks like I'll have to hold my breath and pray that it comes out in trade at some point. Sigh.

I loved WWH in all its glory, the final issue especially... though I still hate Romita Jr's art. It is just too sketchy and unfinished for my tastes. It did the job though and told the tale well.

Now to decide if I'm going to bother getting any of the Aftersmash books.

As for Salvation Run, I was interested to read in the back of Booster Gold #4 that the whole concept of Salvation Run was a pitch made by the man himself, George R. R. Martin, but that by the time he was given the greenlight by DC to do the project he was too busy, hence it being handed off to Willingham.

If it's any good, I'll try to get the trade if/when it comes out.

The teaser comic for WoW had me somewhat intrigued but I'll skip it. I've finally kicked my WoW habit and the last thing I need is something that will sow the seeds of interest in the game again for me

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

On a totally unrelated note, look out Greg Land & Warren Ellis... there's a new artist/writer duo in town!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Rommel
International Playboy

I stopped by this review hoping the WoW comic would be more in line with a good RA Salvatore novel or Elflord title - epic and deep. Unfortunately, it reads like a simple cash in slightly above the awful City of Heroes comic that also never went anywhere. This is a shame, since WoW has a great background universe and story which would do great in comic form. Simply retelling the story of the Alliance's infiltration by Onyxia and the heroes which band together to defeat her would have been a better effort and fans would have truly related to the experience of living through that series of quests again.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Did anyone catch the first 10 minutes of Simpsons tonight? Pure comic book satire. I haven't laughed that hard during a Simpsons episode in a loooong time.

The best part is that I bet 90% of the people watching the episode were scratching their heads in confusion.

"Mr. Moore, can you sign my copy of Watchmen Babies?"

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
Kefkataran
Die trying

I keep going back and forth on World War Hulk #5, but I'll save talk on that for next week's episode of Johnny Gigawatt.

I'm with you on the first issue of Salvation Run. Good, but not amazing. I'll definitely pick up the trade.

And I totally disagree on Booster Gold -- I loved the Supernova reveal! The idea of having another hunter and another Booster as the main bad guys provides this perfect parallel that just tickles me in all the right ways. That Geoff Johns knows how to hit my buttons...
Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
normyk
Evil Monkey

My only real complaint about WWH was that I could see the Miek thing coming from a mile away.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
bub64882
Evil Dead

They really missed an opportunity with the WoW comic. The thing is I play WoW a lot, and the references weren't that good. The art was jumbled. Some good stuff, but it didn't convey the story that clearly.

I felt like I was picking up issue #3 or #5. The opportunity to explain the world of Azeroth, how it was created, the races that inhabit it, and the major villians and heroes were not capitalized on, so the many comic readers who don't play the game are not enticed to go play now.

The story may pan out and pick up, but I can't beleive that this is actualy issue #1. The only thing the comic does is introduce the characters which were recently released as WoW action figures. So what, was this all a GI Joe-esque comic to sell toys?

Last edited by bub64882; 11-19-2007 at 12:27 PM..
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Sazime
Groucho Marxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
On a totally unrelated note, look out Greg Land & Warren Ellis... there's a new artist/writer duo in town!
Ha! Awesome!

I remember reading someone didn't like Wonder Woman #14. Well, you're crazy. Although it's obvious that Simone is channeling Morrison (see the next ep of Johnny G. for details) I think it's great. And it's a far better comic than Heinberg was writing.

Booster Gold was good this week, but now I'm seeing the weakness in the series. Some issues are so awesome, other good issues look mediocre. Gah! Why can't they all blow my mind?

Anyone else enjoying the RoRAG storyline besides me? I'm digging it quite a bit myself.
Horror Movie Pudcasting!
Tiger Men Comic Casting!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
Xerxes

So wait? Sentry is dead?! Cause that would give me great joy.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Nope. Still around, because we need an emo superhero.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
Sazime
Groucho Marxist

Quote:
As much joy as it would cause you to see Superman dead?!?
Horror Movie Pudcasting!
Tiger Men Comic Casting!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazime View Post
As much joy as it would cause you to see Superman dead?!?
That's the point. We don't need a emo clone(read rip-off). And Dr. Finger, we will always have Peter Parker.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Quote:
That's the point. We don't need a emo clone(read rip-off). And Dr. Finger, we will always have Peter Parker.
Peter Parker is emo, but Spider-Man almost never is. And Peter is emo in the 'I think my life suckes because it really does' way, which isn't too bad. Sentry is emo in the 'OMG I'm going to go cut myself and and post about it on myspace' way.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #16
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Finger View Post
Peter Parker is emo, but Spider-Man almost never is. And Peter is emo in the 'I think my life suckes because it really does' way, which isn't too bad. Sentry is emo in the 'OMG I'm going to go cut myself and and post about it on myspace' way.
Isn't there a X-baby that acts like this?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #17
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Finger View Post
Not to nit-pick, but isn't Sentry more emo in the "he's actually diagnosable-y crazy" way?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran View Post
Not to nit-pick, but isn't Sentry more emo in the "he's actually diagnosable-y crazy" way?
He's an alcoholic agoraphobic (who happens to have the power of A MILLION EXPLODING SUNS at his fingertips). If he is emo, he has every right to be.

Oh, and he's also got the pesky problem of The Void, which is like the physical personification of the entire world's emo supply.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
He's an alcoholic agoraphobic (who happens to have the power of A MILLION EXPLODING SUNS at his fingertips). If he is emo, he has every right to be.

Oh, and he's also got the pesky problem of The Void, which is like the physical personification of the entire world's emo supply.
I wouldn't call The Void emo, but yeah, isn't Sentry basically schizophrenic?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #20
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran View Post
I wouldn't call The Void emo, but yeah, isn't Sentry basically schizophrenic?
That too.

The Void isn't emo, he IS emo... he's like what would happen if all of those nasty emo thoughts and self pity got turned into a being that destroyed worlds.