Last post by brandonjclark
Today 04:47 PM
2 Replies, 339 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Norse
Insert credit

Fall Update Details Revealed?

Official Xbox 360 Magazine reveals what the upcoming fall dashboard update for the 360 offers:

Quote:
The Fall update has been revealed to OXM from Microsoft and it's by far the best update the white console has received thus far, showering 360 owners with gaming classics and films on demand. Circle December 4th in your calendar people, this one is going to be big.

Why is it so good? In short - you'll be able to download Halo. In slightly less short - you can buy original Xbox classics and download them through Marketplace, such as Halo.

Thanks to the Elite and its monster HDD, Microsoft is introducing games it has published for Xbox to Marketplace, with the eventual plan to bring as much of the back catalogue across as possible. With games clocking in at 1200MP (roughly 10), they'll be a damn sight cheaper to download than they are to buy second hand.

The initial list to download will be Halo, Fable, Fahrenheit, Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex and Burnout 3. We're excited about all of those games. Except for Crash. Maybe.
Update: This is official.

Interesting, but I have my doubts about these details.

Editor's Note - The link above is now deader than a dodo's grandodo. Make of that what you will. - fitbabits

Last edited by bapenguin; 11-13-2007 at 12:34 PM..
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
johnymitsu
Evil Dead

awesome, just awesome. I've been wanting to play KOTOR through recently and my disc has received some damage, plus it'll give people a chance to get all those last generation games a go for cheap.

Also a good excuss to plunk down the dollars for the 120 gig hard drive that i've been wanting to get.

Online play for Halo would also be awesome, other peoples thoughts?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
Heretic Machine
Peon

Well, finally a reason for the bigger hard-drive. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, and if they ever find anything that merits a purchase. I can't think of more than one XBOX game that goes for any significant sum of money these days in disc form. Of course, proper integration with the 360 platform (such as custom soundtracks, access to the full functionality of the Blades interface, 360-style multiplayer... etc) would certainly make it worthwhile to purchase old favorites.

If they go the Nintendo VC route, it'll be more than a little disappointing, considering that the hardware will be compatible with the original versions of 99% of anything anybody will want to play.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Heretic Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
flinxz
Ask me about Loom

Last generation games would have to be pretty cheap for me to pick them up. Most of the good ones can be found for less than $10 as it is. If graphical updates were involved though...
flinxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #5
lazymanschair
Death Knight

Thats a cool feature, I just bought Fable recently to try it out before Fable 2 arrives, i would have gladly downloaded it.

I doubt theyll support divx, xvid files in the update but surely they could sell liscences on markeplace for the software, id be willing to pay extra for that.

They should really have a seperate Arcade Blade, espcially since theyve released the arcade moel of the console.
lazymanschair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Kefkataran
Die trying

If these Xbox classics also come with newly built in achievements, I'm in.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 AM   #7
IrishWhiskey
Laterz

Quote:
Thanks to the Elite and its monster HDD,
They do understand that only a small fraction of 360 owners have an Elite right? Because I'm running out of room with just a few demos, videos and XBLA titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan
My God, IrishWhiskey, you were right about everything!
IrishWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #8
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

That's pretty cool, though I have owned or do own all of those games save for Crash. I know they'll be adding more, of course. I doubt I'll have room, though, with ~6-8 GB being earmarked for FFXI, and some demos, there just won't be the space.

This would be a great idea if more of the population had a larger HDD, but with most of the install base having only 13.9 GB of usable space, I have a hard time seeing this take off.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
menage
Super Deformed Overlord

Well, I'll buy a 120 GB eventually. I can't see my HD not clogging up in 2 years anyway. With all the add-ons, arcadegames, etc.

currently playing: Fallout 3/Fable 2
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #10
LarsenNET
Evil Dead

You would still have enough room for at least one or two at a time. When done delete them and move on to the next one. If you want to play again, simply re-download. I don't see the problem here. This will be awesome "if" true.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 AM   #11
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

I guess more BC is out of the question...

I would be happy to see Crimson Skies reignited in online play, however. That's a great game STILL!! Would disk-based players and HDD players be able to play together (I would think they would as long as the game is unchanged).
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
IrishWhiskey
Laterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsenNET View Post
You would still have enough room for at least one or two at a time. When done delete them and move on to the next one. If you want to play again, simply re-download. I don't see the problem here. This will be awesome "if" true.
Maybe. Although I have a few games (Oblivion, Bioshock, Halo 2 etc) that take up a few gigs on their own, along with some map packs, XBLA games and video episodes. Coupled with even a minimal amount of demos, it would seem like you would have to delete your current demo/movie/xbox game every time you wanted to play a new one, and then redownload it again the next time. Its possible, but doesn't seem at all practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan
My God, IrishWhiskey, you were right about everything!
IrishWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
mkelehan
Evil Dead

A way for everyone to enjoy Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Fantastic.
mkelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #14
KingGorilla
Gigantic Jerk

Wait, back that up. Will people in the US be getting Fahrenheit?

Xfire-kinggorilla
Steam-KingGorilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkandproudofit View Post
This needs to be sigged IMMEDIATELY.
KingGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
Bingley Joe
Bad at guesstimating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran View Post
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool.

If not, the only XBox title I really still want to play anymore is Beyond Good and Evil, so I'm not really very in unless they make it BC.. and even then I'm not in because I still have my copy.

Besides me and my quirks though, I'm guessing this is actually going to pay off for them.
Bingley Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #16
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran View Post
Aye... and you wonder why they've been slow at updating their BC list.

This is all well and good but if I see any games show up on the Marketplace that aren't on the BC list, I'll be rather cheesed off.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #17
Syl
Evil Dead

at almost 5 gigs a pop, these games are going to fill up even the tiny little 120 gig harddrive extremely fast.

I have close to 200 gigs of games on my PC, and that's not even all my games. I really don't have anything to add other than that.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #18
NoName
Banned - Am not!

Nooooo! I don't have enough time for new games, let alone older classics I haven't played yet.

I need 32 hour days or something :/.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #19
rein
Evil Dead

I think it is a neat idea but I hardly see the point since there are 3 different models of 360 and this update will only support one of them. Two if you count the limited storage of the 20gb. It's almost as dumb as Sony removing their BC... ...almost.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #20
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Xbox Live when you purchase something, you can always delete it an redownload it again at no extra cost. Not ideal, but if your HD is filled with videos from South Park or something, you can always delete them and redownload them when you want to watch them.