10 Replies, 1,270 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
cliff_burton
Squire

First offical Assassin's Creed Review

Source: Ubisoft Forums

Quote:
Famitsu 360 (Not to be confused with regular Famitsu)

10,8,9,10 - 37/40

Quick summary:

•Story is totally engrossing, like a great movie.
•Feels like a real next-gen action game.
•One-button combat is somewhat unsatisfying, but will make the game accessible to more people.
•Story, worldview, presentation all top-notch.
•At times the map is hard to make out and there are bad camera angles. There are lots of little annoying things like that. (From the 8 review)
•The acrobatic play mechanics are totally addicting
cliff_burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
still not convinced for some reason, that little teaser video where there was combat with a large group of soldiers, who pretty much just stood still while the main guy was turning around all the time trying to figure out who to attack, pretty much put the whole thing in the can for me.

i'll wait for a demo, perhaps that was some early alpha/beta braindead ai version.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
LiquidRain

What, no snarky editorial comment?! What kind of EvAv article is this, no sna.. *looks at post number* oohhh.... umm, welcome to the site?

On topic: I think if this turns out to be the case, myself along with many other people will be completely surprised as the feeling everyone got was that this was rushed out the door and would be very buggy.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Sandman
Banned

Famitsu is not on the list of my trusted sources for reviews.....they will never eeeever live down giving Nintendogs a perfect score.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Camel
The Dude abides.

I thought you needed 10 posts to make a thread? Not that it really matters I guess.

I'm really waiting on EvAver impressions about this game before I decide whether or not to play it, mostly because review scores mean nothing to me anymore (was the game pretty good? 10/10!!!!). I thought it looked awesome the first time I saw it, but it's been pretty downhill since then.

JUST SAY NO TO ANONYMOUS POLLS!
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Triprotic
Evil Dead

The detailed levels that we've seen so far have sold it for me, I think I could forgive a poor/mediocre combat system for the vast expansive city that'd been the the dev interview so far.

I could see myself exploring them for hours just jumping rooftop to rooftop
Triprotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
menage
Super Deformed Overlord

Quote:
I thought it looked awesome the first time I saw it, but it's been pretty downhill since then.
Same here. They really need to convince me with original new settings if I'm to buy this. I know Jerusalem by heart at this point.

currently playing: Fallout 3/Fable 2
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
51|RandoM
Banned

I'm sick of games being dumbed down in the name of making them more accessible to people.

It is like expecting 18 holes of golf at Pebble Beach and ending up at the miniature golf course, like expecting a full set of clubs and being handed a warped putter.

People who need accessible games can play shit like Hannah Montana, stop screwing up games like Assassin's Creed.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

I guess everyone is expecting something as nice as the fight scenes in a movie? Where a guy is circled and 1 at a time a bad guy comes int and takes his shot at the hero? Cause that was sorta what I saw in the G4 movies recently. You really can't have it be much more realistic than that -- the control pad simply doesn't give you the control that you hvae in real life. Even Madden for all of its years of development still isn't all that close to real life gameplay.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I guess everyone is expecting something as nice as the fight scenes in a movie? Where a guy is circled and 1 at a time a bad guy comes int and takes his shot at the hero? Cause that was sorta what I saw in the G4 movies recently. You really can't have it be much more realistic than that -- the control pad simply doesn't give you the control that you hvae in real life. Even Madden for all of its years of development still isn't all that close to real life gameplay.

Wolfgang, fightscenes in movies are not realistic.

The bad guys don't circle around watching while you beat them 1 on 1.

If you've got 6 crossbows pointed at you they're not going to fire them one at a time.

It isn't about wanting realism in terms of control, it is about wanting believability in enemy behavior.

You've just assassinated the guy they were responsible for protecting, they're going to dogpile you. Well, not in Assassin's Creed.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #11
Morratut
Evil Dead

1 button combat control.

/yawn.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
Switcher
Evil Dead

Well, if anyone knows anything about Assassin's Creed, is that the combat is actually very hard to get used to, because the timing of certain moves and parries, is very strict. And the whole point of the game is to AVOID direct combat anyway.

Like IGN said in a recent preview, Assassin's Creed is the only "true" next-gen game on the horizon.
Switcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51|RandoM View Post
I'm sick of games being dumbed down in the name of making them more accessible to people.

It is like expecting 18 holes of golf at Pebble Beach and ending up at the miniature golf course, like expecting a full set of clubs and being handed a warped putter.

People who need accessible games can play shit like Hannah Montana, stop screwing up games like Assassin's Creed.
You can thank Nintendo and the Wii. And I suppose consoles in general to some degree.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

1 button combat? Wonderful. Isn't Fable 2 trying to do the same thing, though? It could work I guess, as long as there's blocking and evading.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #15
Kelegacy
Poor Impulse Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51|RandoM View Post

You're selfish. What about all the other people in the world who would like to enjoy the game but can't because they can't remember to use the trigger button vs. the bumper?

I'm kidding of course. This reminds me what Opie and Anthony said on the radio this morning. One of them asked, "Why do we always go against nature and coddle the weak?" They were talking about how people ruin things for the rest of us by forcing change to suit their tastes--in this case, Halloween costumes at schools being banned for showing blood or other scary things that could frighten other children.

Last edited by Kelegacy; 11-01-2007 at 07:13 AM..
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 AM   #16
Bingley Joe
Bad at guesstimating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
Like IGN said in a recent preview, Assassin's Creed is the only "true" next-gen game on the horizon.
I really hope it's as good as I think it's going to be, and as good as they say it's going to be ... but oh my GOD am I ever sick of the term "next-gen". Especially when crossed with the word "true".

I mean.. it was already annoying enough when we were waiting for the PS3 and Wii to emerge, but now that all three consoles have been out for at least a year, when the fuck is this amazing "next-gen" going to finally get here if it isn't already?

It's beyond ludicrous at this point. What exactly does the phrase "Assassin's Creed is the only 'true' next-gen game on the horizon" mean? There has got to be a better way to describe what makes it special.
Bingley Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #17
Squidbot

I think you should all wait until you've actually tried the combat. Trust me on this
Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #18
digitalErich
Evil Dead

I'm still picking this game up, uninformed opinions be damned.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #19
Crowe
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
I really hope it's as good as I think it's going to be, and as good as they say it's going to be ... but oh my GOD am I ever sick of the term "next-gen". Especially when crossed with the word "true".

I mean.. it was already annoying enough when we were waiting for the PS3 and Wii to emerge, but now that all three consoles have been out for at least a year, when the fuck is this amazing "next-gen" going to finally get here if it isn't already?

It's beyond ludicrous at this point. What exactly does the phrase "Assassin's Creed is the only 'true' next-gen game on the horizon" mean? There has got to be a better way to describe what makes it special.
I agree dude. What the hell is 'true' next gen. It's a bunch of god damn jibba jabba.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #20
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
I agree dude. What the hell is 'true' next gen. It's a bunch of god damn jibba jabba.
what's sadder is that most of what is claimed to be next gen is still crap from 'last gen' coughhalo3cough. i have a feeling this is going to be thief on rails.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote