Imagine: Star Citizen...
Last post by Doctorossi
Yesterday 10:30 PM
12 Replies, 1,111 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

40GB PS3 All But Officially Confirmed. No Backwards Compatiblity?

Well the rumor just won't die, and it looks like it's really gaining some legs. Engadget has a screen scrape from Best Buy which shows off a 40GB PS3 bundled with Spider-Man 3 for $399.

Next up we have Joystiq reporting the UPC Code appearing in the UPC Database.

Finally I got a tip from Evil Avatar member Siraris that the 40GB model has appeared on UK Retailer Play.com's website.

The interesting thing about this is the note at the bottom of the Play.com listing. "Please Note! 40GB PS3 is not backward compatible with PS2 games." Since we know the 80GB models have been doing BC via Software, what would be the limiting factor with the 40GB PS3?

So all that being said it looks like it's a matter of days until Sony officially confirms the 40GB model. But the real question is, will it sell?
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
biosc1
Evil Dead

Similar to the 360 Core, for people who want the machine and don't care about backwards compatibility. I must admit that I haven't fired up a PS2 game in my PS3 yet, but at least the option is there, considering I do have a stack of games I haven't got around to since getting rid of my PS2.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin View Post
So all that being said it looks like it's a matter of days until Sony officially confirms the 40GB model. But the real question is, will it sell?
They had me until..."Please Note! 40GB PS3 is not backward compatible with PS2 games."

Ah well, I'll wait a bit longer I guess.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
EternalGamer
Hexigonal Librarian #3785

Why would it not be backwards compatible? I thought they had most of the stuff done in emulation now anyway. What benefit is there to removing the software emulation other than than just trying to get people to buy the more expensive model?

Xbox Live: EternalGamer2
Wii[/b]: 5776 8275 6283 1367
PS3 Network: EternalGamer
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

You compiled my links from the other thread.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet the no BC thing is a mistake, as it's all done via software and there really is no reason to remove a selling point that requires no extra hardware on their part. There's another mistake in the listing at Play that says it only plays UK and PAL games, which, unless they've changed things, is wrong, since the PS3 is region free.

Regardless, the 40GB $400 SKU story is popping up all over the place. At this point I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

By making the 40 gig system not backwards compatible, they can try and trick people into spending more for the 80 gig model, even though all the emulation is done through software anyways.

Next, Nintendo will introduce a Wii that won't run GameCube games, even though Wii is 2 GameCubes taped together.

Edit: I just picked up Wipeout XL for $0.99 + $3 shipping on ebay. I use my PS3 for playing more PS1 and PS2 games than PS3 titles.

What do you call a PS3 that can't play PS1 and PS2 games?
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
KidCactus
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
There's another mistake in the listing at Play that says it only plays UK and PAL games, which, unless they've changed things, is wrong, since the PS3 is region free.
They say the same thing on the 60 GB version too though.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cactus View Post
They say the same thing on the 60 GB version too though.
That's strange, I wonder why?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
Shin-Mech-Brian
Squire

No backwards compatibility? That's bullshit. This is a desperation move by SONY to try and compete for sales this Christmas. To many of us, the one thing we all want is BC in a next gen-console, and to exclude that one feature in hopes of selling more units is really weak. The only exclusive title I'm looking forward to is Ratchet & Clank and it looks like I'll have to wait a while longer to get a PS3 with BC that isn't $700.00.
Shin-Mech-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

$400 brings it into range of alot more customers. Though you can see where Microsoft wrought every last drop out of the $400 price tag and barely made 10 million in real sales. So I'd expect Sony's sales pace to pick up for the holiday, but after the New Year it'll settle back into relatively unimpressive numbers.

I still doubt the rumor; simply because a $400 SKU makes sense and Sony hasn't done much of that.

Not being backwards compatible sounds like noise left-over from the first round of 'new SKU sans emotion engine' rumors. It still doesn't make any sense.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin-Mech-Brian View Post
No backwards compatibility? That's bullshit. This is a desperation move by SONY to try and compete for sales this Christmas. To many of us, the one thing we all want is BC in a next gen-console, and to exclude that one feature in hopes of selling more units is really weak. The only exclusive title I'm looking forward to is Ratchet & Clank and it looks like I'll have to wait a while longer to get a PS3 with BC that isn't $700.00.
Way to over react to something that's not confirmed!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Nothing is confirmed. The whole thread is speculation, so by your account, everyone commenting on it is overreacting. Nothing has been officially announced from Sony yet.
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
DaXIthR
Evil Dead

It's a step in the right direction, but packing in a horrible movie rather than a solid game is a poor decision.

Sony ought to get their consumer thinking game system first, BR player second.

I hardly expect PS3 systems to be in rare supply all of a sudden, but realistically, there's little else Sony can do salvage the current holiday season. We're into Q4, it's officially crunch-time in the industry.

(Fine. I know lots of people loved Spider-man.)
DaXIthR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Ghostbear
Maker of Ghostbeer

Quote:
indeed, i hope this works out because this is the PS3 i want
Gamertag: Ghostbear Khan
Steam-Ghostbear1.evav
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalot View Post
Nothing is confirmed. The whole thread is speculation, so by your account, everyone commenting on it is overreacting. Nothing has been officially announced from Sony yet.
You're right, it is. It's fine to speculate, but getting your panties in a bunch or, conversely, getting excited about this are both premature reactions.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
Texas Speed
Lead Farmer

I don't see why it wouldn't sell. A PS3 cheaper than the top 360 model? Sounds good. I suppose the proper counter would be the (also rumored) 360 holiday bundles, particulary the Arcade Xbox. Plus those are packed in with, you know, games. Why would Sony take out the stuff they're already packing in the box for a movie?

Also, does the PS3 really weigh 15 lbs?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #17
CptTripps
Cottage "G"

I'm just guessing here, but I would assume they mean no hardware BC. As in just making sure they don't get burned by people thinking it is in there when it's all emulation now. I could be wrong but I don't see them 100% removing BC when it costs them nothing extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStepMantis View Post
Fuck the whales, Save Evil Avatar!
CptTripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
akusazero
Death Knight

To be quite honest, this shouldn't be a suprise. Sony has been talking about for months that they were going to take out the emotion chip from future PS3s. Kaz has stated how he doesn't feel that BC is really important. Sony's thought is that "everybody" must have a PS2 already, so why should they include backwards compatibility? It may be bullshit, but it's nothing that wasn't seen coming.

Gamertag: Akusazero
Steam: akusazero
akusazero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #19
Digital Outlaw
The JunkYardDog

Cut that price in half and I still wouldn't buy one of those pieces of shit. What good is a system if it has NO games. Everyone keeps saying they will get more games, but where? The only good games they have gotten are remakes of xbox games that I played a year ago and long forgot about. Where is their Bioshock? Where is their Halo 3? Sorry folks, PS3 only AAA titles DO NOT EXIST.
Digital Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #20
silv
is stuck in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by akusazero View Post
To be quite honest, this shouldn't be a suprise. Sony has been talking about for months that they were going to take out the emotion chip from future PS3s. Kaz has stated how he doesn't feel that BC is really important. Sony's thought is that "everybody" must have a PS2 already, so why should they include backwards compatibility? It may be bullshit, but it's nothing that wasn't seen coming.
BC is done through software no, no need for the emotion engine.

I would like to see how much of a loss Sony is taking on these @ $400.
silv is offline   Reply With Quote