Sin City: A Dame To Kill...
Last post by JazGalaxy
Yesterday 08:14 PM
7 Replies, 702 Views

Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Lost Odyssey - 4 DVDs

In a behind closed doors meeting at the Tokyo Game Show MistWalker head Hironobu Sakaguchi revealed that his next Xbox 360 RPG, Lost Odyssey, will be epic in more ways than one.
Quote:
Hot on the heels of the three DVD long Blue Dragon, Sakaguchi informed the crowd that Lost Odyssey will span a massive four DVDs. The game, which uses a mixture of CG and real-time cutscenes, will last roughly 40 to 50 hours.
Sakaguchi also reaffirmed that the game will ship with multiple language tracks on all versions, including Japanese and English, and the lip synching will be set to the English track as a thank you to all of his Western fans.

I've gotta say, this is the best argument for a hi-def disc format yet. Still, we survived multi-disc epics on the PS2, and we'll survive them here
Dr.Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Why do they continue to use CG if it's going to take up that much space? Why not just do it all in engine?
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

I don't mind switching discs every 10 hours. I mean, I need to go to the bathroom SOMETIME!

When all is said and done, having to get up and change discs isn't worth the price difference between the 360 and the PS3.
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Why do they continue to use CG if it's going to take up that much space? Why not just do it all in engine?
I agree. I don't see the point of CG either in this day and age. Render the story in-engine and don't be ashamed of the polygons. These are games, so don't try to disguise them as movies.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Grifter

WHAT!! I have to get up off my ass every 10-15 hours and do something!?! This is bullshit I hate Microsoft!!...
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Grimgrock
Evil Dead

They do it in CG to hide the limitations of their engine. It's not like the RPG engine is the Crysis engine or the Unreal 3 engine. Right?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
Crispy951
<3Weighted Companion Cube

Changing discs has never been an issue for me and its not going to become an issue now, especially since its an RPG
Xbox Live: Crispy951
Zune Card: Crispy951
Crispy951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Telefrog
Natural 20's only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Finger View Post
I've gotta say, this is the best argument for a hi-def disc format yet. Still, we survived multi-disc epics on the PS2, and we'll survive them here
It's really the worst argument. No one cares about getting up to switch a disc every few hours, except for the extremely lazy or people that regularly lose their cases.
Telefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalot View Post
I agree. I don't see the point of CG either in this day and age. Render the story in-engine and don't be ashamed of the polygons. These are games, so don't try to disguise them as movies.
I can understand their use in some situations, such as where the scale of a scene just wouldn't be feasable to be done in-engine. Still, this seems to be taking it a little too far.

Of course, you have to remember that the game isn't filling 4 discs, as the basic game data (or most of it) has to fit on all 4 discs. There could be 6GB of game and 8GB of FMV, so each disc would hypothetically contain the 6GB of game data plus 2GB of FMV each.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
I can understand their use in some situations, such as where the scale of a scene just wouldn't be feasable to be done in-engine. Still, this seems to be taking it a little too far.

Of course, you have to remember that the game isn't filling 4 discs, as the basic game data (or most of it) has to fit on all 4 discs. There could be 6GB of game and 8GB of FMV, so each disc would hypothetically contain the 6GB of game data plus 2GB of FMV each.
Yeah, I see what you are saying. I wonder what the ratio of game data/FMV is on the discs.

Basically, I've played lots of games with absolutely ZERO FMV, and they play just fine, so dropping the videos entirely wouldn't bother me in the slightest as long as the gameplay is intact. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is Dragons Lair, a game that is 100% FMV and almost ZERO gameplay. Yeah, no thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
Vandenh
Evil Dead

*cough*Mass Effect*cough*

and of course

*cough*Heavenly sword*cough*
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
torrefaction
is sailing away

How could you ever say this is a good argument for HD formats? The only decent argument is texture size, but the PS3 doesn't have enough memory for that to even matter (Neither does the 360, really.)
Mostly Damaged
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #13
Philonious
Occasional Lurker

I haven't gotten to the point where I need to change discs in Blue Dragon (my 360 is constantly freezing up), but if it is the case that you never have to change back it isn't a big deal, but if you need to go back and forth between discs (*cough* Baldur's Gate *cough*) it can get annoying. This does probably guarantee that th DVD won't be around for a third console generation, but as long as disc switching doesn't become a regular issue I'm not going to complain.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #14
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

This is a great argument for not loading your game up with CG.
A great argument for HD formats is a great game that needs more than one DVD to get the job done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi
Because you can farm it out and get it done while the game is still in flux.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
jadkins555
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philonious View Post
This does probably guarantee that th DVD won't be around for a third console generation, but as long as disc switching doesn't become a regular issue I'm not going to complain.
I believe there is absolutely no way DVD will exist next generation. It will be interesting to see if Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, or something else entirely is used.
jadkins555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #16
noxa
Reaper

I'm pretty sure the awesome sky-opening-and-spilling-lava-onto-tens-of-thousands-of-soldiers CG would be hard to do in any engine realtime on any hardware within the next 5 years. That's like saying the battles in Lord of the Rings should have been all realtime.

Sometimes, pre-rendered video fits with the scope/scale/action of the game. Hating a game for having CG videos is about as silly as hating a game because it uses cel-shading - sometimes, it works.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
Yadneb
Squire

I always felt like getting to the next disc felt like an accomplishment back in the original playstation RPG days(Although we didn't have achievements back then so we had to take what we could get). Or at the very least it was a way to compare your progress with your friends or have a reference point for a conversation about the game. Needless to say it doesn't bother me a whole lot in the rpg genre.
Yadneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #18
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxa View Post
That's like saying the battles in Lord of the Rings should have been all realtime.
They WEREN'T
I thought my DVD player was capable of rendering that scene in 3D without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxa View Post
Sometimes, pre-rendered video fits with the scope/scale/action of the game. Hating a game for having CG videos is about as silly as hating a game because it uses cel-shading - sometimes, it works.
I don't think anyone here is hating on the game, but rather the superfluous need for boatloads of FMV. Sure, having a scene in your game that is so grand it only be expressed as an earth-shattering FMV is nice, but does the game NEED it? And does the game need LOTS of it?

Typically, I don't play games to watch movies. I play to play.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #19
dvlpr
Squire

Quote:

And you have to remember that in order to get any decent speed with that Blu-Ray drive, we copy part of the game data multiple times over the single Blu-Ray disk (here is your next gen data size, we just "forget" to tell you about our little secret). And it still reads slow. It is so desperate that people start doing 2+ GB installs on the hard drive trying to overcome it.

As a gamer experience: 4 disks and quick drive is much better than a single disk and slow read speeds ...
dvlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #20
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Finger View Post
Is it really going to hurt you to change discs every 10 hours?

I think this is an argument for the contrary. I can get a 360 for $200 less than a PS3 and it will still play big, huge games with the only setback being that I have to change the DVD every 10 hours of gameplay. I'm not so rich that I will resent the changing either.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote