Wasteland 2 Early Access...
Last post by Qoz
Today 03:05 PM
2 Replies, 542 Views
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Doctor Setebos
Banned

Mario Kart Wii - 16-person online multiplayer?

According to the official Nintendo UK magazine, Mario Kart Wii will sport Wii-creations of favorite Mario Kart DS tracks, mid-air stunts, online battle mode--oh, and 16-person online multiplayer.

The decidedly small yet fruitful snippet from the mag can be found here.

[color=darkorange]Update: Looks like this is false.[/color

Last edited by bapenguin; 09-06-2007 at 08:45 AM..
Old 09-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
tombofsoldier
Irascibley Complacent

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Kid Moxie
Kid's Got Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombofsoldier View Post
Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please...
Uh, pretty please? *puppy dog eyes*
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
mkelehan
Evil Dead

I believe it. Nintendo said they want to allow a whole lot of players when they announced it back at E3. Four people in my home, 12 abroad... sounds good. It'd be much cooler if there were voice chat with random folks, but this is Nintendo.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Heretic Machine
Peon

Doesn't matter, you won't be able to talk to any of them in-game, so it'll be a worthless feature. Decent A.I. would accomplish the same thing.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perigon View Post
Doesn't matter, you won't be able to talk to any of them in-game, so it'll be a worthless feature. Decent A.I. would accomplish the same thing.
Exactly. ........
Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Chameleo
Charma

meh i dont care about online. i just wanna have a blast w/ my buddies on the couch....

and knowing Nintendo's track record with online, i wouldn't be surprised if online didn't make it in the final versions.. well no, i take that back. theres online in mariokart for DS - so i dont see why they can't do it for Wii.

But i wouldn't be surprised if they canceled online for super smash brothers. fighting games online is tough to synchronize.
Its against the system we should unite!
Homophobics ain't alright,
If you learn to love, you might love life.
SSBB 4768 7177 3085 (Cham)
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
Chameleo
Charma

Quote:
sure it matters - you can play your friends you meet in online message boards, and friends you've met in your travels abroad who also have Wiis.

not that i'd wanna play w/ you mr. jaded gamer.
Its against the system we should unite!
Homophobics ain't alright,
If you learn to love, you might love life.
SSBB 4768 7177 3085 (Cham)
Old 09-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Skyelan
Not a freak, just stupid

Amazingly, here in common sense land where people actually relax instead of 'baaawwww' all the time... The game is as much as half a year away. Nintendo WILL be allowing (And pushing) online chatting in the near future. They've been doing it on the DS for a long time, pushing just about EVERY online multiplayer game to have voice chat inside game. A goddamn handheld.

It's only a question of when it starts, so pardon me if I wanna wait and see how stuff works out before I whine about 'useless features', even though AI cannot replace human players (For good or bad).
Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Wyrm
Lord of Dreams

Quote:
What is there to talk about? "Did you see when I hit you with that red fucking turtle shell? That shit was bomb, yo!"

It's not like Mario Kart is a fucking visceral experience or anything. Sure, it's a lot of fun, but do you need voice chat to race around a fucking track and shoot god damn turtle shells at your friends?
Twitter
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
MacD
Evil Dead

Seriously, the DS has (wifi enabled MP) games with ingame voicecomms? Which ones? That's some cool shit on a handheld
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
What is there to talk about? "Did you see when I hit you with that red fucking turtle shell? That shit was bomb, yo!"
Removing communications takes the party out of party games. You know how much fun online multiplayer with Bomberman Live would be if you removed voice communication? The answer is that it wouldn't be fun, at least not any more or less than the single-player. Without communication the other players are just bots with good (maybe bad) A.I. So really, what is the point?

Also, maybe I'm out of the loop, but the last I checked the only voice-chatting you do on the DS is in Metroid, and only between rounds. Nintendo has made their stance on online play quite clear: Communication has the potential to be bad, and by removing communication entirely they can avoid a lot of potential hassles with their younger audience.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Skyelan
Not a freak, just stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD View Post
Seriously, the DS has (wifi enabled MP) games with ingame voicecomms? Which ones? That's some cool shit on a handheld
It's usually just with friends, but Pokemon has it (I dunno if it works in battle, but I can't imagine not... You have a room where you can do a lot of random shit with friends including trading and battling), Puzzle League has it, I believe Starfox has it... To be honest, not a whole lot of online games have come out lately (I don't think) so it's hard to recall, but there are quite a few.

And I'm near positive every first party one for a long while has had it. I should go look this up more extensively.

Edit: Zelda DS will have in-game Voice Chat as well in its multiplayer mode.

Downhill Jam was one of the first to have in-game voice chat. Most slower games like Rune Factory at least have a pictochat feature, so communication exists.

Again, it's really hard to find a comprehensive list at the moment (Then again I've yet to check any official sources), but one thing is clear. For a while now Nintendo's been pushing in-game voice chat in all their online DS games, third parties have access to it, and even where there isn't voice chat, there's usually pictochat clients.

So yeah, communication thrives. It's only with people on friend lists, but most people on this site mute out almost all strangers on Live anyway. Or don't even play strangers at all.

Last edited by Skyelan; 09-05-2007 at 03:50 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
digitalErich
Evil Dead

I would buy Mario Kart regardless, so I just look at this as a nice extra.

Even if they had a VoIP solution, it still wouldn't change the fact that playing same room MP, spewing enough profanities at each other to embarrass an armada of sailors is the true way of the Kart.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
SBKidJamX
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD View Post
Metroid Prime Hunters and the new Pokemon games immediately spring to mind. I know there's more though.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
Crowe
Evil Dead

Quote:
Removing communications takes the party out of party games. You know how much fun online multiplayer with Bomberman Live would be if you removed voice communication? The answer is that it wouldn't be fun, at least not any more or less than the single-player. Without communication the other players are just bots with good (maybe bad) A.I. So really, what is the point?

Also, maybe I'm out of the loop, but the last I checked the only voice-chatting you do on the DS is in Metroid, and only between rounds. Nintendo has made their stance on online play quite clear: Communication has the potential to be bad, and by removing communication entirely they can avoid a lot of potential hassles with their younger audience.
The point is human competition. It's much more fun when you have some serious intelligent competition. I dislike most multiplayer on consoles, because it's so much more anti-social then on a good ol' fashioned PC. You can't type and the Voice quality isn't that great either.

Taking into account my new dislike for most console multiplayer would I love to play against 16 other people whom I could not talk to?? YES, simply because it's Mario kart and I don't really care whether I talk to people when I play the game.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
The point is human competition. It's much more fun when you have some serious intelligent competition. I dislike most multiplayer on consoles, because it's so much more anti-social then on a good ol' fashioned PC. You can't type and the Voice quality isn't that great either.

Taking into account my new dislike for most console multiplayer would I love to play against 16 other people whom I could not talk to?? YES, simply because it's Mario kart and I don't really care whether I talk to people when I play the game.
Good for you. I disagree entirely. I didn't even touch the online multiplayer in the DS Mario Kart outside of a few trial runs to see how it went. There was no point, I was playing with what might as well of been bots, it was easier just to start up a single-player race.

Will I still buy it? Yes, because it will be fun. But the multiplayer will have no appeal unless they impliment some form of decent player communication.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #18
Wyrm
Lord of Dreams

Quote:

A.I., no matter how good it is, is still predictable to a certain degree. Human players are not. You're simply ignoring the facts if you think otherwise. Human players can be predictable for sure, but they can change their strategy dynamically. A.I. cannot. It can be programed to run a different script provided a certain situation occurs, but it cannot adapt on the fly like a human player can. That in and of itself is why multiplayer games are so much more fun with human players than with bots.

The same thing could be argued about Bomberman that I said before, but the gameplay in Bomberman is even more simplistic. The fact that there is less to it makes the voice chat that much more important to the experience, because it will always be more fun to play with your friends, and it is always fun to hear someone bitch when you kill them. So, yeah, voice chat is a good thing. Do I believe it's essential to the experience of games like Mario Kart and Bomberman? Not even a little bit.

Nintendo doesn't understand where the future of online gaming is going, but then, they really don't need to. They figured out this generation what it would take to bring the casual gamer into the fold, and they aren't concerned about online gaming any more now than they were when the Gamecube hit. Don't expect to see any change anytime soon.
Twitter
Old 09-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
A.I., no matter how good it is, is still predictable to a certain degree. Human players are not. You're simply ignoring the facts if you think otherwise. Human players can be predictable for sure, but they can change their strategy dynamically. A.I. cannot. It can be programed to run a different script provided a certain situation occurs, but it cannot adapt on the fly like a human player can. That in and of itself is why multiplayer games are so much more fun with human players than with bots.
...Dude, do you really think that I look to online play for challenge? Is that honestly what you think that myself, and most other people, use online multiplayer for? Let me give you a big FYI, my love of online multiplayer games has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with challenge. For me, it is a social experience. UNO isn't challenging, hell it's mostly random, but it's still insanely fun to play online. Why? Because of the communication that goes on between players during the game. If you put an UNO for the Wii out right now, with online play, it would be worthless. It would be utterly without value, taking up space on my shelf would be more than it would deserve. On the 360, it's one of the most amusing games on the platform.

Nevermind the fact that the lack of communication between players in online Wii games blatantly goes against the philosophy of the console.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
Crowe
Evil Dead

Quote:
Good for you. I disagree entirely. I didn't even touch the online multiplayer in the DS Mario Kart outside of a few trial runs to see how it went. There was no point, I was playing with what might as well of been bots, it was easier just to start up a single-player race.

Will I still buy it? Yes, because it will be fun. But the multiplayer will have no appeal unless they impliment some form of decent player communication.
So you disagree that A.I is just as efficient as Human competition? Thats was my first main point....that human competition was so much more enjoyable then A.I.

*Edit* I can understand why you play multiplayer games, simply for the sociol experience. I can't understand how consoles can do that for you though, after playing MP on a PC I cannot go back.
Closed Thread