Last post by Blog
Yesterday 09:36 PM
4 Replies, 662 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Guerrilla MD: "Blu-ray is for Games, not Movies"

Adding yet more fuel to the fanboy fire, Guerrilla's managing director, in an interview excerpt over at CVG, claims that Blu-ray is needed for games, not movies. Also, he claims that Killzone 2 would not be possible on competing machines!

Quote:
"We are taking huge advantage of the architecture of PS3. I firmly believe that what we've shown we can get out of that machine would be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver on a competing machine."

---

"If you're not willing to make that investment then you're going to lose out on some options. To make it simple, the Xbox 360 doesn't have SixAxis or Blu-ray. PlayStation 3 does. And for us that's a really big thing. The level you've just seen is 2GB. We really need Blu-ray to make the game. I don't know how you could fit it on Xbox 360 without taking some shortcuts."

And that's not the first time 360's DVD format has been called into question.

Hulst continued, "Blu-ray isn't important for watching movies; we need it for making games."
Gah! I guess if we're told often enough about the importance of SIXAXIS and Blu-ray, then we'll start to believe it for ourselves.

One thing he's right about, though, is that there's no way Killzone 2 could be done on Nintendo's Wii.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
The Great Gatsby
Banned

It can be done on the Wii... just dumb down the graphics, have a vastly superior control method and there you go.
The Great Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Rune_74
Banned

This is so much bullshit from a company that is basically a sony company...yeah...bioshock is calling your name.
Rune_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Esquilax1138
Another happy landing!

Could be done easier and better graphics on a PC. Or any console with a big enough hard drive. Installing to hard drive is always better then loading from an optical disc. I really don't mind swapping a disc once to install a game.
Esquilax1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Phhhh
Evil Dead

How many unique environments does Bioshock have?
Phhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
biosc1
Evil Dead

Sixaxis sucks. There, I've contributed to this thread.

To clarify. So far in my gaming experience with the PS3, I have yet to encounter a use of the sixaxis control scheme that I wouldn't rather use the sticks for. Most uses so far have been "gimmicky" in my mind. Though, I should clarify that I've yet to try Warhawk.

As for the storage, I'm not entirely sure about that one. I suppose if you leave it uncompressed you might be able to stream it faster? Hence, the larger size? (I'm ignorant on that technical aspect).
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Morangie
Evil Dead

I recall the same things being said by Factor 5. Someone remind me how that turned out?
Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
rein
Evil Dead

I think in a year to two he could be proven right. To be honest, I do not care about HD or Blu-ray movies. I do not have a 1080p TV so upscaled DVD's work fine for me. The only reason I would opt to buy the movie on Blu-ray is if it is the same price or has additional features. If anything, he should know if they could or could not put the game out on a regular DVD without cutting corners. What remains to be seen, is if the game is worth it.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
bKangy
It's my illusion Michael

2gb of brown textures :P

I hate you and so does Tartown.
bKangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Schnoogs
Banned

Two DVDs for the win
Schnoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bKangy View Post
2gb of brown textures :P
This is NOT Metal Gear Solid 4 we're talking about. Take your trolling elsewhere.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Grifter

Some one should point out the shitty texture quality (comparatively) of Killzone2 to this Douche bag before he goes and makes a bigger ass of himself. KZ2 has shown us nothing at this point that comes even close to warranting all these masturbatory comments.

Translation:
"We are so shitty at what we do we need 5x the space for a game of half the quality, so yeah WE couldn't make Killzone 2 for any other console, I am sure a good developer could though."
Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
bKangy
It's my illusion Michael

You know, :P generally means I'm just being silly. I still contend blu ray isn't needed though, they're probably not compressing things properly to make those kinds of statements. Bioshock, Halo 3 etc seem to fit well enough on one disc and are on a visual par.

I hate you and so does Tartown.
bKangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Norse
Insert credit

Let's hope they set aside some of those GBs for interesting gameplay.
PSN ID: Norse360
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
DangerousDaze
Clearly the worst green

When they paused the opening "FMV" with your character on his way down to the planet on a lander, disconnected the camera and zoomed off for miles into what initially looked like pre-rendered background only to find out was actually 2GB of level data, I was impressed.

Of course later on when the charge detonated on the door and your team didnt' even step out of the way before it went off, and the bad guys just walked around not even bothering to look at you while you shot the crap out of them, not so much.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
Norse
Insert credit

After playing Bioshock, a 20h game with great gfx and sounds, I don't see how DVD will hold X360 back that much. A game like Bioshock could be released on 2 or more DVDs without degrading the experience.
PSN ID: Norse360
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
Siraris
Caunotaucarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
Some one should point out the shitty texture quality (comparatively) of Killzone2 to this Douche bag before he goes and makes a bigger ass of himself. KZ2 has shown us nothing at this point that comes even close to warranting all these masturbatory comments.

Translation:
"We are so shitty at what we do we need 5x the space for a game of half the quality, so yeah WE couldn't make Killzone 2 for any other console, I am sure a good developer could though."
You can't be that much of an trolling idiot. You're just trying to incite responses for fun, right? You don't honestly mean most of the stuff you post.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
Wolvie
Evil Dead

Ya know what Sony sounds like? The guy that tries to convince his girlfriend that his Hummer wasn't bought because of the need to "compensate" for something.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
Siraris
Caunotaucarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Ya know what Sony sounds like? The guy that tries to convince his girlfriend that his Hummer wasn't bought because of the need to "compensate" for something.
Do you know what you sound like? A broken record of hyperbole, because you can't think of anything more positive to bring to a discussion.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
DangerousDaze
Clearly the worst green

/edit - oops! It really has been a long day and it's my reading comprehension that's in the shitter!