4 Replies, 472 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

[X07] Part 2 - Bioware Interview, Turok

Bioware Interview

Preface:

While waiting for a closed door session of Assassins Creed to start, suddenly everything was cast into darkness. Yes, the power went out (we found out later that someone drove a car into a power pole just down the street). During this time I ran into Wayne Santos. A fellow long time gamer and an industry writer. We spent a good hour discussing our history while chain smoking and enjoying the open bar (Wayne has done freelance work for IGN, been a gaming pundit on the BBC and worked at various publications).

Waiting for the generator to arrive, we decided to go back into the basement and see if there were any closed door presenters still around that we could do a Q&A with. Things seemed deserted, until Chris Priestly walked out from the Mass Effect booth and was more than happy to sit down with us. Apparently all the other media decided that if there wasn't game footage to see, they were out of there (funny, since the closed door sessions couldn't be videotaped anyways).

So in the basement, lit by candlelight, we tried to ask the questions that were on our minds...

Key Points:
  • Back story discussion.
  • Skill/Talent experience trees in Mass Effect.
  • Party members (most of them named) and their effect on story.
  • Use of controlled versus interactive narrative.
  • Ebert vs Clive Barker (Are Video Games Art?)
  • Chris and I share our love of Keanu Reeves as Constantine.
  • DLC Talk
  • All 3 Mass Effect games on the 360?
  • "There's a lot of great stuff here at PAX, errr..."

Content:

X07 Interview with Chris Priestly from Bioware

Don't stop watching when I seem to wrap it up, we ended up turning the camera back on for some Bioshock talk and I dropped one last question.

I'd recommend watching this in Quicktime or VLC. Windows Media Player decides to play this in fast-forward for some reason. Though it may just be my codecs. You'll need to grab the whole file, as streaming isn't working for it.

Summary:

Chris was a riot. I ran into him numerous times throughout the day on the show floor. Definitely a man who knows his games. From the scale of the work they're putting into the Mass Effect universe, it's apparent this is going to be a series we'll still be discussing decades from now.

Turok

Preface:
I had no preconceived notions coming into this demo as I'd only seen a few screenshots for the game, though had heard it looked to be heading in the right direction. I was a fan of the original back when it was out on the N64, not so much on the sequels.

Key Points:
  • Complete reset of the series.
  • Squad based (non-controllable).
  • Less over-the-top Sci-fi, more down-to-earth Dinosaur hunting with a pulse rifle.
  • Lots of ways to pit your enemies against each other (and they'll do the same against you).
  • Great character model animation.
  • Solid A.I. (both for your own squad and enemies).
  • Fluid graphics engine.
  • Weapon switching on the d-pad very simple to perform on the fly.
  • Dinosaurs can scare the crap out of you. Seriously.
  • Fun physics effects (for gore and explosions).
  • Dino-maul system.
  • Non-light based stealth system.
  • As it should be in a Turok game, getting kills with the bow is really, really satisfying.

Content:

Turok Gameplay Demonstration

(Note: Once again, my camera chops when there's too much action going on (which is, well, for quite a bit of the demo as you'll see), but it should give you some idea of the gameplay. The game ran without chop while I played.)

Summary:

The gameplay was definitely fun. On the whole the game looks to be shaping up quite well as a solid FPS. The weapons were what you'd want, the enemy A.I. was quite interesting (turning the soldiers against the dinosaurs was sweet), and the level design was well done. The best part for me was hiding in the tall grass and using my arrows for stealth kills. I only got to play about 10 minutes at the start of the game, so I can't tell how deep the story, enemies, weapons or level design will go on from this. But what I saw was great and was what I'd hope to see from a well made Turok title. As a personal preference I'd probably lower the aiming sensitivity, but that's my only complaint from what I played (and I'm sure it's in the controller options).

The part that stood out the most for me (aside from the A.I.) was the graphics. Screenshots don't really do this game justice, as it's one of those (like Halo 3) that you really need to see in motion.

Thankfully this will be coming out after the holiday rush, as it'll definitely work to their advantage. It may turn out to be the "great" game during a quiet release period. Will this bring Turok back into the limelight? Only time is going to tell on this one.

Turok is planned for release in February 2008.

Coming up for part 3, who knows? I've still got a number of titles to give impressions on, and a bunch of video that needs edited. Needless to say it'll be out as soon as possible.
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Xenotek
Squire

Turok looks (suprisingly) good.
Xenotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
muddi900
Evil Dead

Its just awful the way they Holly-fied Turok.

Last.fm
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
UnderHero5
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Its just awful the way they Holly-fied Turok.
Why? Because it might actually be a GOOD game now?

Turok has sucked since 2.
This new one looks awesome, and I'm glad they are treating the dinosaurs like animals, rather than aliens this time.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
MacD
Evil Dead

Kudos on getting these interviews! Shows some actual love of gaming and the whole metagame behind it, not just the 'get story, go to bar' mentality other 'journalists' seem to show.

Gonna listen to/watch me some BioDev now
MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD View Post
Kudos on getting these interviews! Shows some actual love of gaming and the whole metagame behind it, not just the 'get story, go to bar' mentality other 'journalists' seem to show.

Gonna listen to/watch me some BioDev now
Thanks dude.

Edit: But to be fair, since it was an open bar, I already had a few in me.

Last edited by TrackZero; 09-02-2007 at 05:22 PM..
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
sprankton
Down with O.P.P

Turok is nice, the dinos will flank you, thus making you crap your pants.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Wyrm
Lord of Dreams

I've liked all the Turok games (cept for the last-gen one on xbox). That's not to say they were all good games, merely to suggest that I derived a great deal of enjoyment from using the Cerebral Bore to take my friends' brains out of their fucking heads.

Nothing says pwned like the sound of that fucker drilling through the side of someone's head.
Twitter
Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Disgustipated
Banned

I'm so pumped for Mass Effect.

And Turok will most likely be a sleeper hit.
Disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
Sandman
Banned

You know what I just found out? I can save video files from the interwebs to my PS3 hard drive....I'll be watching that Mass Effect video on my PS3.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Dr. Douche Nozzle
Soul Reaper

I cannot wait until both these games come out, the future of gaming keeps getting more badass!
Dr. Douche Nozzle is offline   Reply With Quote