Last post by thatlukeguy
Yesterday 11:43 PM
13 Replies, 846 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

[Wii] Biohazard 4 Censored

Found over at Next-Gen, in Tim Rogers "This Week in Japan" feature, it appears that the recently released Wii edition of Biohazard 4 (Resident Evil 4) comes with an added bonus:

Quote:
a great portion of the blood and gore has been excised from the game. Headshots no longer kill, limbs can no longer be shot off.
Read more at the source.

As as Nintendo fan, I'm not surprised, but quite pissed off. Let's hope this isn't done in the North American release.

Last edited by TrackZero; 06-04-2007 at 07:51 PM..
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
KarmaGhost
Evil Dead

I thought they gave this shit up a long time ago.
Karmaghost
KarmaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Sandman
Banned

Ok now I'm kind of hesitant to buy this.....Japan isn't normally big on editing things. Hell, US tv stations have had to edit Japanese anime often. So it has to be Nintendo's doing. I think I'm going to hold off buying this day one till I hear more.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
dunefish
Knight

Quote:
Headshots no longer kill, limbs can no longer be shot off.
How does that work? A headshot doesn't kill? Seems like it could radically change the way you play the game.
dunefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
danhoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
limbs can no longer be shot off.
<spoiler> Wouldn't that reduce the "regenerators" enemy into just a regular enemy? Tres Lame. </spoiler>
danhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
HarleyGuy
Death Knight

Wait a sec....

I got the import and have been playing it on my Wii... and if anything I think it may be even more violent then the GC version...

In the village at the beginning I have done more headshots resulting in exploding heads then I can ever recall when I played it on the GC version.

Not sure about the limbs, (still in the villiage) but I can say for a fact that heads definitely splatter when shot, and more frequently then I recall in the GC version
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Guys, they censored the other versions of RE4 in Japan as well. This is not news.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
cp#
Evil Dead

Yeah.. the GCN wasn't edited at all was it? This doesn't make much sense. Especially with Harley's testimony
cp# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Draft
Barry? Where's Barry?

Most games in Japan are censored. Stuff we'd label M for Mature would get the dreaded Adults Only in Japan. The original RE4 was censored on the Cube and the PS2, as were basically all RE games.
Rescue
Service
Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
hideouslywrinkled
Reaper

I think this story might be bull, or at least poorly researched. If you read the actual article, it's pretty clearly based on hearsay. The author talks about the "changes" without citing a source or personal experience. If the game mechanic plays that way, my guess is it was the same in the GCN version.
hideouslywrinkled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
IrishWhiskey
Laterz

Quote:
Headshots no longer kill, limbs can no longer be shot off.
What The Hell?!?

Seriously, a major part of the game involves killing with headshots. The enemies change after their head explode. Disarming (pun) enemies is a key strategy in some areas.

Are they going to take out also take out the women impaled through the face with a pitchfork on the wall, or the spiny creatures erupting from dogs backs, or Salazar's freaky final form, or the Ashley Dentists chair orgasm scene? If not then why the hell are they doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan
My God, IrishWhiskey, you were right about everything!

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 06-04-2007 at 07:11 PM..
IrishWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Ok now I'm kind of hesitant to buy this.....Japan isn't normally big on editing things. Hell, US tv stations have had to edit Japanese anime often. So it has to be Nintendo's doing. I think I'm going to hold off buying this day one till I hear more.
Japan edits quite a few things. They're very fickle, and seem to do so at random, but it happens.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Heretic Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Tyrant
User titles r 4 chumpz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus
Guys, they censored the other versions of RE4 in Japan as well. This is not news.
^^^^^^^^^^
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideouslywrinkled
I think this story might be bull, or at least poorly researched. If you read the actual article, it's pretty clearly based on hearsay. The author talks about the "changes" without citing a source or personal experience. If the game mechanic plays that way, my guess is it was the same in the GCN version.
Yeah, I checked the NeoGAF thread (no, I'm not a regular there), and while they have a box shot with the warning label on it, and some people asking about the censorship, there's no confirmations yet.

Edit: Well considering the author is, you know, in Japan. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Edit Edit: Well, from the looks of things this is the par for the course with the Japanese version of RE4. If it holds like it did before, the NA release shouldn't be censored at all.

Last edited by TrackZero; 06-04-2007 at 07:13 PM..
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
Rook34
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey
Whet The Hell?!?

Seriously, a major part of the game involves killing with headshots. The enemies change after their head explode. Disarming (pun) enemies is a key strategy in some areas.

Are they going to take out also take out the women impaled through the face with a pitchfork on the wall, or the spiny creatures erupting from dogs backs, or Salazar's freaky final form, or the Ashley Dentists chair orgasm scene? If not then why the hell are they doing this?
Next they'll be re-naming it: "Barbie's Zombie Adventure", and she'll befriend the zombies by giving them flowers and rides on her pony.

I really hope this is all a stupid rumor.
Rook34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook34
Next they'll be re-naming it: "Barbie's Zombie Adventure", and she'll befriend the zombies by giving them flowers and rides on her pony.

I really hope this is all a stupid rumor.

If it's true my nintendo boycott begins
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Rafer
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
It's sort of funny that the same country that made films like Ichi the Killer and Battle Royale would be squeamish about violence in video games. Dead Rising got a "Z" rating, sort of like AO here. So you have to be 18 to buy Dead Rising, but 15 to see Battle Royale, right...
Rafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
Zacharai
Evil Dead

For the record, the writer is referencing the Japanese version only. As others have said, the Japanese versions of RE4 have been censored before (the ratings system in Japan had big issues with the decapitation animations).
Zacharai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Wedge
Trick=Axe

My bet is on stupid rumor. I remember western resident evils getting toned down as blood was concerned.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #20
mkelehan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus
Beat me to it. OP should be edited before this spreads to other news sources and causes an unnecessary panic.
mkelehan is offline   Reply With Quote