26 Replies, 826 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

City of Heroes Turns Three

Official Press Release:

Quote:
Friday 27th April/...This weekend gaming fans will be celebrating the third birthday of City of Heroes, the massively multiplayer game that continues to be one of the most successful comic book-based PC games on the market.

City of Heroes, developed by Cryptic Studios and published by NCsoft, was released on April 28, 2004, and since then, the game has expanded substantially by building a loyal and growing player base while adding huge chunks of free content to subscribers. In the coming weeks, NCsoft will release another major, free expansion to City of Heroes, marking the ninth such expansion along with the release of the companion game, City of Villains. City of Heroes has set new standards for MMOGs with a break from the traditional medieval fantasy setting and providing character customization that is unmatched in the gaming industry.

During the first three years of the game, more than 24 million characters have been created in City of Heroes and City of Villains with more than 102,000 of those characters reaching level 50, the game’s top tier. The game is also renowned for its ease of cooperative role-playing, resulting in the creation of more than 654,000 super groups, and the building of more than 66,000 super group bases.
Continues below...
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Continues...

Quote:
Additionally, NCsoft has determined that of the 24 million characters created:

· 27 percent of the hero characters created were blasters, making it the most popular hero archetype.

· 26 percent of the villain characters created were Masterminds, making it the most popular villain.

· 32 percent of the characters with travel powers chose flight, followed by super jump at 28 percent, super speed at 25 percent and teleport at 14 percent.

Fueling the game’s economy is the more than 3 trillion influence (the game’s currency) in circulation, which will play an important part of the new crafting system and auction houses being added with the upcoming release of “Issue 9: Breakthrough,” the game’s next content expansion.

NCsoft has recently released a new retail game pack, the “Good Versus Evil Edition” which includes both City of Hereos and City of Villains and is now available at retailers across North America.
Man, I've yet to try these. Every time I see them in the store, I think about buying them. Maybe one day... Regardless, happy birthday.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
walkstheplanes
Evil Dead

Any EvAv'ers besides myself still play this?

CA, Bay Area Dungeons and Dragons Community!
Take a look!
walkstheplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkstheplanes
Any EvAv'ers besides myself still play this?
That's what I would like to know as well. If I do eventually buy it, I'd like to think I could game with people I trust rather than a bunch of foul-mouthed random teenagers. Foul-mouthed EvAvers I can handle.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
jeffool
Hero.

I constantly consider it. Is there much user/social scene to it, or is it a grindathon?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Tricky Thumb
I'm here for your nipples

I was thinking about resubscribing today, since I just got my replacement 19" wide Samsung LCD and was kid of wanting an MMO to play. I figure that if I'm going to play any of my old MMOs right now it's gonna be CoX, basically. Hmm, yeah I think I may just resubscribe after all.

I'm up for any server, so if any of you plan on playing definitely throw me a PM or something with your contact info and when I get back from work I'll roll up on ya. Oh and by the way if you haven't played CoX yet for some reason and you're thinking on getting that Good vs Evil edition let me mention that it's quite worth picking up even if you only play for a month or so.

The community is great on CoX and all, but most of you will spend a ton of time in the character creation system like many first time players.

Massively.com
Tricky Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
jpublic
Now with more sneed!

I play, although I've been on a "Catch Up On My Other Games" break for a few months. I should get back into this now that I've finished off Jade Empire and Lost Planet.

I mostly play on Virtue and Freedom Servers.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Psykoboy2
30 People. 2 Mics. 1 Room

It was my first and only MMO. As all homo as it may sound, that game holds a special place in my gaming heart.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Heretic Machine
Peon

I hate this game. I hate it a whole lot. Wonderful engine, lots of fun to play in small bursts (which isn't actually possible anymore), and a lot of interesting ideas. But there are huge problems with it too. Soloing is out of the question, and whenever people found a way to do it, the developers quickly stamped it out, or killed it's viability for XP gain. I love grouping and all, but considering how many servers they had, compared to the population that is actually playing the game, this meant that I spent hours just hanging out looking for a group.

Then there is the money. It is basically worthless, and they should of gotten rid of it a long time ago. Instead they're going to throw together this half-assed trade system (which has been redesigned like, three times) that has no real place in the game. They could of just used the money to buy new costume pieces, but no, they decided to tie that to the time you've remained a customer (as they bungle along and change the game, constantly, making it less and less appealing).

Then there is the grind... and oh boy, is there grind to be had. Get random spoo quest, go to random fucking building with a bunch of random fucking people, kill some random spoos, return to the quest giver and receive 1/20th of a level. Now, do it again, unless your group breaks up. If that happens, you can just hang out for three or four hours, gathering more group members.

What was the reward for all of this, you might ask? Well, for the longest time, heroes reaching the level cap would find that they were done. They beat the game, and it was over. Start again, or stop paying, those are your options. No more quests, no more challenges, you're done. Now they are introducing ways to get more missions, but really, who cares? More grind that isn't fun. What they really should of done is found more interesting things to do outside of missions, in the actual city. Working on the PVP would of been good too, but their lead designer explicitly stated that he doesn't give a shit about PVP, and the game wasn't made for it. Not only that, but really the only way to interact with villains is if you go and hang out with them at a fucking interdimensional night club. So, you can just forget about having good RP, that is out too. Wouldn't want to be able to make your own fun in this fucking game. Wouldn't want to be able to interact with player-villains on any significant level and weave our own stories and such.

Well, I really can't say enough bad things about this game and the development team. I really don't like them, and I hope they never make another game, ever.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil

Last edited by Heretic Machine; 04-27-2007 at 11:07 AM..
Heretic Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Mashidar
Affected by Geass

I really like CoH/CoV. It's a grind but i've never had a problem with soloing. Then again I enjoy playing scrappers and it's not so hard to solo if you set things up right with a scrapper.

Folks that might be interested, might look for folks that got the free buddy code e-mail that gives folks a 10-day trial, and also gives them access to both CoV/CoH. The big thing about this recent e-mail/code is that if the buddy decides to keep playing after the time is expired in the trial. They only have to pay month to month and they won't have to pick up CoH/CoV.

From the e-mail:

With Issue 9: Breakthrough and the new Invention system on the near horizon, we would like to celebrate the 3 year anniversary of City of Heroes®, and thank you, our players, for your involvement and support.

As a token of our appreciation, we are providing each of our active players with one City of Heroes/City of Villains® Buddy Serial Code*. This is different from a free trial because the code includes ten days of play time, plus access to the game itself. This means that your buddies will not need to purchase City of Heroes or City of Villains if they choose to continue playing, only the subscription time after the ten days have expired.

My code might already be spoken for, but if the party is not interested I'll let folks know.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
TyphoidMarty
Dread Lord

Wow it is hard to follow up Perigon... I quite.. like it?

Ummm that is weak. Let me try and counter a little of what he said, though those might all be valid points.

The Character Creation system is outstanding - you can lose yourself in it. So much so that it really bugs me when I see a character called "Teh Wulverine" or something. You can really be original and the power sets give a fairly substantial way to customize.

Quests tend to be fun and light play. It is definately not designed to be WoW, it tends to move far more quick play and I like picking it up whenever I have 45 mins to spend.

PvP is fun to me at least. You can call out other Supergroups and have a really fun tussle.

The crafting system scares me though... maybe it will work but I am afraid.

*Edit* I might end up having a free buddy code.
TyphoidMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
Mashidar
Affected by Geass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perigon
Well, I really can't say enough bad things about this game and the development team. I really don't like them, and I hope they never make another game, ever.
Well they are making the Marvel MMO for the Xbox 360. I have high hopes for it really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyphoidMarty
Wow it is hard to follow up Perigon... I quite.. like it?

Ummm that is weak. Let me try and counter a little of what he said, though those might all be valid points.

The Character Creation system is outstanding - you can lose yourself in it. So much so that it really bugs me when I see a character called "Teh Wulverine" or something. You can really be original and the power sets give a fairly substantial way to customize.

Quests tend to be fun and light play. It is definately not designed to be WoW, it tends to move far more quick play and I like picking it up whenever I have 45 mins to spend.

PvP is fun to me at least. You can call out other Supergroups and have a really fun tussle.

The crafting system scares me though... maybe it will work but I am afraid.
The Character Creation system is great in CoH. Much better than any other MMO that i've played really in terms of design. Add in the fact that you get another 4 designs you can unlock and you can give your person a different look for any mood you might have.

PvP has always been great to me in the game. Now i've only spent time in Bloody Bay but I've loved jumping around the city and attacking villians that are running around.

Oh and to some of the other posters, I still play. Too bad alot of folks don't play. An EvAv group would be great to make a supergroup base with.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
torrefaction
is sailing away

I liked it, but fell out quick. I could imagine it being a lot of fun with a good group.
Mostly Damaged
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
jpublic
Now with more sneed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perigon
Soloing is out of the question, and whenever people found a way to do it, the developers quickly stamped it out, or killed it's viability for XP gain.
Uh. Wrong. They've made HUGE inroads to making soloing viable. The mere fact that post CoV they turned around and downgraded AVs in Solo missions to EB levels made a massive difference in this.

I've soloed almost exclusively for the 3 years I've played this game, excluding Trials and Task Forces.

Quote:
I love grouping and all, but considering how many servers they had, compared to the population that is actually playing the game, this meant that I spent hours just hanging out looking for a group.
Whereas I, oddly enough, have to turn on the 'Refuse Invites' option to get people to leave me the hell alone.

Quote:
Then there is the money.
Okay, THIS one I'll give you. I dislike the fact that they're tacking on crafting.

Quote:
Then there is the grind... (rest of rant snipped)
Wow, way to miss the point, there, Perigon.

Allow me to say to you what I repeat to every other WoW/EQ/etc High-End-Game-Loving-Shmoe:

"Level 50 is not a destination. It is a journey."

The *point* of CoX is the adventures you have in getting to 50. The story arcs (which admittedly are far better in CoV), the lore you discover, and so on. It's not 'get to the high levels so the real game begins'.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic
Uh. Wrong. They've made HUGE inroads to making soloing viable. The mere fact that post CoV they turned around and downgraded AVs in Solo missions to EB levels made a massive difference in this.

I've soloed almost exclusively for the 3 years I've played this game, excluding Trials and Task Forces.
You never played a Blaster, Defender, or Controller then. Scrappers and Tanks (at times) were the only ones to ever be able to solo with any success at all.

Quote:
Whereas I, oddly enough, have to turn on the 'Refuse Invites' option to get people to leave me the hell alone.
Ya, I'm sure the population exploded after I left for the fourth time, and Virtue was no longer a ghost town. Right, right... Unless they have merged like 3/4s of their servers, I don't see how this could be true at all. I was often times the only person in an entire zone, even zones that were extremely popular at launch, like Boomtown. The last time I went back, I would go to Boomtown when I got bored and kill Babbadge (sp?) over and over again, and I never ran into anyone else. Nor did I run into anyone else when I went to the zombie area to beat up the boss there. Even Steel Canyon was pretty much empty aside from the statue area most of the time.

Quote:
Wow, way to miss the point, there, Perigon.

Allow me to say to you what I repeat to every other WoW/EQ/etc High-End-Game-Loving-Shmoe:

"Level 50 is not a destination. It is a journey."
Well, I mean, you'd think that the journey would be fun, and at the end there would still be something to do. Neither of these things are true in the case of CoH. It was a lot of fun the first six months it was out, there wasn't anything to do at 50, but the game was still a lot of fun. But they have progressively murdered it with seemingly malicious intent.

Quote:
The *point* of CoX is the adventures you have in getting to 50. The story arcs (which admittedly are far better in CoV), the lore you discover, and so on. It's not 'get to the high levels so the real game begins'.
Let me just give a big meh to the stories of every MMO out there. I should also say that I'm pretty pissed off that the patcher stopped working for me (and a lot of other people), and the issue has never been fixed to my knowledge. It just pretends like it is trying to connect, for eternity or until you close it out. And since they don't release their patches in EXE form, that pretty much means that you can't play the game. This is an issue they have acknowledged on their forums, but never fixed. I'm actually reinstalling right now just to see if they ever did fix the problem.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil

Last edited by Heretic Machine; 04-27-2007 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #16
BitterCupOJoe
Death Knight

I'm gonna go with jpublic on this one. I'm not playing the game anymore, because I need a (probably long) break, but it's possibly the easiest soloing I've ever done in an MMO. Hell, with my tanks/scrappers/brutes, I can go into the "group" areas and take on spawns that were designed for 4-8 players 1-2 levels higher than me, and that's often without popping more than a couple of inspirations. On my squishies, it takes more planning and inspirations, but it's still doable. I have no idea what Perigon is talking about there.

Regarding crafting, I'm meh about it. I would have preferred if they had put something in place back around Issue 4, not now, but they felt they couldn't come up with a good genre-appropriate way to do it. Now they think they have. The only thing I don't like about the new crafting system is that there are crafted costume pieces, and crafting those only unlocks them for the character they're crafted on.

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about on the server population, at least on Virtue, Freedom and Infinity. When I did want to team, it was never an issue to find one. Sure, Boomtown and (pre-I8) Faultline were empty, but that's because they were largely crap zones. Boomtown only had people in it because it was the easiest place to farm large groups of 12-20s, and now that missions give good XP, along with safeguards, etc., there's simply no reason to go to it. Faultline has been retooled and is a popular place for pretty much anyone at that level.

I have a question, Perigon. If you're not there for the story, what are you there for? Gameplay? It's not like there's really anything challenging to MMO gameplay, once you've got 15 hours or so, tops, under your belt in a given MMO. They're not super skill-based, they're just relaxing timesinks. That leaves the social aspect, which, well, that's a personal thing. So what is it that you wanted from CoX that you didn't get out of it? Because that is a pretty serious hate-on you've got there.
BitterCupOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterCupOJoe
I'm gonna go with jpublic on this one. I'm not playing the game anymore, because I need a (probably long) break, but it's possibly the easiest soloing I've ever done in an MMO. Hell, with my tanks/scrappers/brutes, I can go into the "group" areas and take on spawns that were designed for 4-8 players 1-2 levels higher than me, and that's often without popping more than a couple of inspirations. On my squishies, it takes more planning and inspirations, but it's still doable. I have no idea what Perigon is talking about there.

Regarding crafting, I'm meh about it. I would have preferred if they had put something in place back around Issue 4, not now, but they felt they couldn't come up with a good genre-appropriate way to do it. Now they think they have. The only thing I don't like about the new crafting system is that there are crafted costume pieces, and crafting those only unlocks them for the character they're crafted on.

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about on the server population, at least on Virtue, Freedom and Infinity. When I did want to team, it was never an issue to find one. Sure, Boomtown and (pre-I8) Faultline were empty, but that's because they were largely crap zones. Boomtown only had people in it because it was the easiest place to farm large groups of 12-20s, and now that missions give good XP, along with safeguards, etc., there's simply no reason to go to it. Faultline has been retooled and is a popular place for pretty much anyone at that level.

I have a question, Perigon. If you're not there for the story, what are you there for? Gameplay? It's not like there's really anything challenging to MMO gameplay, once you've got 15 hours or so, tops, under your belt in a given MMO. They're not super skill-based, they're just relaxing timesinks. That leaves the social aspect, which, well, that's a personal thing. So what is it that you wanted from CoX that you didn't get out of it? Because that is a pretty serious hate-on you've got there.
First of all, no, soloing was never (post six-months in) an option for the squishy classes. Saying anything else is bullshit, on par with saying that you could get by in UO without using magic. It is not viable, at all. Or at the very least, it wasn't viable the last time I played, which was about a year ago, and it certainly wasn't possible after the patch that introduced capes (and made everything a nightmare).

Second, I don't know where all of these Virtue people were when I was playing. Maybe the core fanbase for this game is Australian, and they just missed my time slot, I dunno. But in EST prime time, there wasn't anyone on, and no one to play with. Getting groups was insane, and if one person dropped out, you were fucked, unless it was a blaster or a scrapper. If it was your tank or healer, get ready for downtime, because it is going to take you an eternity to find a replacement.

Finally, the game could of been saved for me with proper integration of villains into CoH. Being able to actually RP with a villain would of been nice. The bullshit about only being able to meet them in a nightclub or timed PVP arena just didn't cut it. So, essentially your RP options came down to inter-hero RPs with no villains besides the NPCs. Unless it is acceptable for your character to go have a cup of coffee with his/her arch rival while Dr. Doom 5000 is cutting up the dance floor to a techno remix of Dancing Queen.

Oh, and as noted before, it'd be good if it were actually possible for me to play again.

Last edited by Heretic Machine; 04-27-2007 at 12:27 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #18
jpublic
Now with more sneed!

On the contrary, on Heroside I prefer Defenders. Although I will give you Blasters, I dislike their dynamic, even though I play one on-and-off as a concept character. I play my Kheldians the next most, followed by my Controllers, Scrappers and Tankers. Heck, my current main character is a Trick Arrow/Archery Defender, and I play him solo, which is damn challenging.

On Villainside I play Corruptors the most, then probably Dominators and MMs equally, then Stalkers, then Brutes (I dislike the Fury dynamic).

As for your grouping troubles, I don't know what to say. Really, I never have that problem - except when I play my Warshade. No one loves him.

I suppose like most MMOs, a key is to have a good guild. I'm part of a pretty friendly group of people that play together, so if I *really* get the urge to team, it's not that hard for me to pop over to another server or harrass someone to change characters and come assist me.

I'm curious, what MMOs *do* you like, Perigon? What do you like about them that other games don't provide?

For example, I really welcome the ability to Solo in an MMO. To me, the social aspect of the MMO isn't the ability to play with/against other people, I want the ability to chat with others as I play, be in RP or not. But when it comes to the game itself, the more I can do without needing assistance, the better.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #19
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic
I'm curious, what MMOs *do* you like, Perigon? What do you like about them that other games don't provide?
I really don't like any of the MMOs that are out currently. They all have too many problems. I used to like UO a lot, but it went down the shitter about a year or two after the second expansion dropped, and has turned into more of a mess as time has gone on. What do I like about MMOs? I like RP, which I can get from MUCKs, and I like progressing my character (which most MMOs, CoH included, make too slow and plodding of a process to continue).

On the bright side, they fixed the patcher so that me and other people who were having problems can connect. I'm patching now, so I might go back and see what's up. Got nothing better to do.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
jpublic
Now with more sneed!

Have you tried LOTRO? I'm finding it to be pretty decent, but you'll probably want to wait a month for all the smacktards to quit.