Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Today 03:29 AM
9 Replies, 575 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Sony Re-examining Price/Volume Budgeting Process for PS3

The Financial Times [subscription required] (Britain's infamous 'pink paper') is reporting that Sony is re-examining their PS3 price/volume budgeting process.

Quote:
Sony is reconsidering its pricing strategy for the PlayStation 3 in an effort to ignite sluggish sales in Japan and the crucial US market.

Ryoji Chubachi, Sony's president, said yesterday: "We are re-examining our [PS3] budgeting process in terms of pricing and volume. Sales assumptions change and the market is competitive. We are in the midst of revisiting our strategy for the PS3." Mr Chubachi also said he thought Sony had hit its bullish shipment target of 6m consoles at the end of March.
I guess it's only a matter of time before someone else at Sony says Chubachi's comments were taken out of context.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
51|RandoM
Banned

Is there anybody out there who doesn't think Sony is continually re-examining their budgeting/pricing, anybody? Bueler? Bueler?

51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51|RandoM
Is there anybody out there who doesn't think Sony is continually re-examining their budgeting/pricing, anybody? Bueler? Bueler?

Almost funny. Some companies do constantly examine their budgeting process, but you simply don't see the same level of 'panic' or uncertainty at Microsoft or Nintendo. That's why this is news.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
UnderHero5
Evil Dead

Well I hope there is a price drop pretty soon. I'd like to own a PS3 by the end of the year (Christmas gift, hopefully!). If it stays at $600 I know that will not happen though.
UnderHero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits
Almost funny. Some companies do constantly examine their budgeting process, but you simply don't see the same level of 'panic' or uncertainty at Microsoft or Nintendo. That's why this is news.
Uh, panic, uncertainty? You really get that out of proactively considering your pricing, especially when that is a key factor in a three player war for marketshare?

That isn't panic, that is common sense.

Getting too much peer pressure from the other reds?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Uh, panic, uncertainty? You really get that out of proactively considering your pricing, especially when that is a key factor in a three player war for marketshare?

You're missing the point...

If Microsoft and Nintendo are doing something similar, then it's not being reported. Why is that? Could it be because there's no panic or uncertainty with their next generation entries? The panic and uncertainty statement is more reflective of things overall with Sony, not just this one instant.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
IrishWhiskey
Laterz

Quote:

Are you really suggesting that Sony isn't under greater pressure than the others to drop console prices? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan
My God, IrishWhiskey, you were right about everything!
IrishWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
You're missing the point...

If Microsoft and Nintendo are doing something similar, then it's not being reported. Why is that? Could it be because there's no panic or uncertainty with their next generation entries? The panic and uncertainty statement is more reflective of things overall with Sony, not just this one instant.
So show us the other two pieces of the Financial Times where they interviewed Microsoft and where they interviewed Nintendo. Show us the opening of the Financial Times where they stated they were having the interview to address the panic and uncertainty about the PS3.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

You're adding those two words "panic and uncertainty" to add spice to what is at its heart just business as usual.

FYI, I'm not missing the point at all, seeing as how every other story has it as an underlying theme.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey
Are you really suggesting that Sony isn't under greater pressure than the others to drop console prices? Really?
Where did I say that, of course they're the ones under the most pressure to do so. They are at the highest price point, right? No shit, Sherlock.

Thing is, you don't snap your fingers, use a little artistic license and then decide to label it as panic and uncertainty.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Aleman
Death Knight

$499 would be sooo much easier to swallow for me than $599. I don't know, there's something about that extra $100 that just pushes it over the edge.
Aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
So show us the other two pieces of the Financial Times where they interviewed Microsoft and where they interviewed Nintendo. Show us the opening of the Financial Times where they stated they were having the interview to address the panic and uncertainty about the PS3.

Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense.

You're adding those two words "panic and uncertainty" to add spice to what is at its heart just business as usual.

FYI, I'm not missing the point at all, seeing as how every other story has it as an underlying theme.
Um, you're seeing something which clearly isn't there.

I added the words panic and uncertainty because that's what I'm picking up from Sony. Not once did I claim the words were authored by anyone else.

Your assertion that the linked article only has merit if the Financial Times asked the same questions of Microsoft and Nintendo may be valid in some respects, but not so in this case as this is another example of Sony's struggles. Neither Microsoft nor Nintendo are feeling the heat the same way Sony is, and that's why this is relevant.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
51|RandoM
Banned

Ok, I'll try to fit in better.

Meeting at Sony ^^^^
Old 04-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
Sony is re-examining
You've finally made the transition! I never noticed you do that before. Used to always be the British "Sony ARE...." rather than the American "Sony IS..."

You've been absorbed. You are now one of us. Resistance is futile.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
UnderHero5
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleman
$499 would be sooo much easier to swallow for me than $599. I don't know, there's something about that extra $100 that just pushes it over the edge.
I think even $500 is WAY too much for a console... but that's just me.

I honestly don't know why I'm wishing for a price drop, since I know it still wouldn't be enough for my cheap ass. I just can't see paying over $350 for a console. $500 - $600 is just absurd, if you ask me.
Not to bring up THAT whole discussion again... just stating my personal limits.
UnderHero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan123
You've finally made the transition! I never noticed you do that before. Used to always be the British "Sony ARE...." rather than the American "Sony IS..."

You've been absorbed. You are now one of us. Resistance is futile.
Sony is a singular company, hence the correct word would be "is" when talking of the whole company. At least that's my thinking.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
Lothair
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderHero5
I think even $500 is WAY too much for a console... but that's just me.

Well you, and pretty much at least one other person per every thread even tangentially related to Sony for the last year.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #17
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
Sony is a singular company, hence the correct word would be "is" when talking of the whole company. At least that's my thinking.
I thought I had noticed Europeans (those of European descent included) posting using the plural form of the verb for companies.

Sorry...my mistake. I'm so confused now.

Threadjack over.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan123
I thought I had noticed Europeans (those of European descent included) posting using the plural form of the verb for companies.

Sorry...my mistake. I'm so confused now.

Threadjack over.
I'm not European, I'm Scottish!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
jonat3
Soul Reaper

300 dollars is already pretty damn expensive for a console (atleast for me). 200 dollars is the sweetspot for the majority and it seems previous data seem to support this notion if my memory serves me right.

Anyways, it's impossible for Sony to win this war, even IF they dropped the price. Unless they dropped it all the way to 300. THEN they have a chance, but they will probably only start making a profit after 5 years time.
jonat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
Sandman
Banned

This isn't news anymore than the FFXIII rumor is news....I'm not saying this is rumor I'm just saying it's not news.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote