Last post by Wolfe
Today 06:09 PM
3 Replies, 1,553 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

C&C 3 Demo Hack: Play as Nod

Our very own captainstrombosis points out in our forums a nice trick to play as NOD in the recent Command and Conquer 3 demo.
Quote:
You can easily play as Nod, without modding the game in any way. However Scrin are still not playable. This was something posted on the Gamespot forums so I don't take credit for it.
Goto Skirmish:
Click the race selection tab, but do not select any. Move your mouse over the Nod selection and at the same time press N and click the mouse. It may take a few tries but it does work! Can also make the enemy GDI.(G + Mouse Click)

You can also use this trick to select the AI traits. Just use the first letter and click the mouse while it is highlighted.
Sweet! I absolutely loved the demo. So many good RTS games lately.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Wasn't Nod the big, dumb villan in Superman II, or was that Non?
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Nighthold
Evil Dead

Kneel Before Zod!

In any case, cool trick. I am shocked, SHOCKED, by this demo. EA do something faithful to the source material?!?! Inconceivable! The videos, the fast gameplay, the interface, its all so old school and lovely. I almost cant go back to SupCom after this. I need it. NOW.

Btw, they MUST put a cool installer on this baby. Its the final piece.
Nighthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Abednigo
Made a good point once

I've tried for the last two days to download the demo but it tops out (on any of the mirrors) at 20Kb/s, regardless of whether I try on my cable at home or fiber at work, and it would take 18 hours to complete. All my attempts have either crapped out halfway through or sooner.

PSN ID: jjmahoney
Abednigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Grimgrock
Evil Dead

I'm screaming along at 448KB/sec right now.

The Official site claims there is a trailer with Tricia Helfer and Grace Park that comes with the demo. Anyone seen it? Do they appear to be major characters or are they just bit parts?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Cupelix
One Man Wrecking Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgrock

The Official site claims there is a trailer with Tricia Helfer and Grace Park that comes with the demo. Anyone seen it? Do they appear to be major characters or are they just bit parts?
Grace Park and Tricia Helfer appear to have similar roles on opposite sides of the battle from the looks of things in the game. In the demo, Tricia Helfer only appears very very briefly in the trailer. Grace Park shows up through the course of the demo in the GDI sequences giving you pre-mission intelligence and instructions.

I haven't seen mentioned anywhere that Jennifer Morrison (from House) also appears as your intelligence link to GDI during missions. I feel bad for her because she's pretty good on House, but the lines she's asked to deliver in game are pretty painful.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Adam Blue
BlueGamer.net

Quote:

Well, they are supporting characters that you see throughout the game's FMV. The demo had quite a bit of it.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
Zawath
Evil Dead

Quote:

Yes they are major characters. It almost start feeling like a Galactica game when you see Boomer in her uniform.
Zawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
Grimgrock
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zawath
Yes they are major characters. It almost start feeling like a Galactica game when you see Boomer in her uniform.
I guess they continue to "have a plan" whether NOD, GDI, or the alien race. The demo is downloading now and I'll have to wait till tonight to do anything with it.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Sweet! I get to use Nod's very own Commando aka Tania!
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
Nite_Moogle
Evil Dead

Quote:
In any case, cool trick. I am shocked, SHOCKED, by this demo. EA do something faithful to the source material?!?! Inconceivable!
I really have to agree. Other than the stubborn holding on to right click as a confirm click (A+left click to attack move dammit) it screams of actually having some amounts of polish on it, and the team that is responsible for the visual aspects of the game needs a raise. They completely and utterly nailed the C&C/Red Alert FMV style.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
Adam Blue
BlueGamer.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite_Moogle
I really have to agree. Other than the stubborn holding on to right click as a confirm click (A+left click to attack move dammit) it screams of actually having some amounts of polish on it, and the team that is responsible for the visual aspects of the game needs a raise. They completely and utterly nailed the C&C/Red Alert FMV style.
The devs said they're adding a left mouse click option in the final game. It makes sense since some options in-game require you to right click to deselect!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
captainstrombosis
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia
Sweet! I get to use Nod's very own Commando aka Tania!
Yeah, though I can't seem to find a way to effectively use her. She is only stealth while stationary and dies in a single hit from any rail gun. Which is actually pretty "C&C" as the special units always had a huge payout but were difficult to use.Still an extremely effective Anti-Infantry unit if you need one though.

The Nuke just looks sweet when it goes off.
Gamertag:ClannerDelta
captainstrombosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
Vulture
Evil Dead

Is it just me or does CnC3 AI beat SupCom's hands down?

As seen from the DEMOs of each.

Preordering KANE CnC3 to show support for such a good demo.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
ÜberJumper
Official Relic Stalker

The Medium NOD AI (balanced) is BRUTAL. But I think I get how to beat it after playing for a couple tries last night. I'm too used to CoH and only building a few precious units.

I'm happy to say that I found a way to heal my troops (send them to the armoury!) and there does appear to be a waypointing system (Alt Instead of Shift)... need to try with it more.

Can't wait to play as NOD.
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
Nighthold
Evil Dead

heres the thing about C&C and SupCom. SupCom is the superior tactical and strategic simulation. Hands down, no matter what, it is. What C&C has, or at least from this demo, what it appears to has, is a level of style and fun-factor that greatly surpasses SupCom. The videos, the storyline, the faster paced gameplay, all that old-school charm, its just going to be way more fun to play.

I *like* SupCom. Or at least I think I do. I finished up the first campaign the other day, and it was not uncommon to play missions for an hour or more, and eventually it just felt like work. I would actually get frustrated when I would finally complete a big objective and the map would double in size for a newer one. You should not feel unhappy about having to play more game.

The one complaint I have about C&C so far is the camera. The zoom in is great, the zoom out is lacking. I want to see more of the battlefield. In that sense, SupCom got the camera DOWN.

It doesnt hurt that C&C runs like a dream on my system (like it should, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs Corsair XMS ram, x1950 pro) whereas SupCom chugs when 400 or so units are out and about (a not uncommon situation)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
captainstrombosis
Evil Dead

The Steamroller AI on medium just utterly destroyed me. I was battling his garrisoned troops and BAM tons of tanks hit me from the side. Took out my main buildings first. Was completely unexpected. They took my warfactory out first and my missile troops got slapped by snipers and a few APC's/pitbulls. Was spectacular.

**edit** I agree with most of what Nighthold said. I don't think it's quite fair to compare SupCom(Chess) with C&C3(Checkers). Not to belittle either. SupCom is about a big slower paced more thoughtful strategy. While C&C3 is all about the in your face fun. Another thing is, C&C3 just runs great. I don't understand how. Games like Rise of Legends kind of made my PC chug in big fights, but I just had a fight with 15 or so infantry squads 10+ tanks on both sides and several air units and it didn't chug at all. Though interestingly it almost felt like time was moving a bit slower.
Gamertag:ClannerDelta

Last edited by captainstrombosis; 02-28-2007 at 10:43 AM..
captainstrombosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #18
Aleman
Death Knight

Sweet, I can't wait to play as NOD.

The best part of the demo though is that the game runs smoothly on my laptop @ 1280x720 w/ high settings. 2 GHz C2D, 256 MB X1600, 2 GB RAM
Aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
Kweli
Evil Dead

Yep, im surprised at the performance they were able to pump out of it..

Generals ran pourly.. so i was a little scared that this would too... but its great

I cant wait for some stealthy NOD action
Kweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
Nighthold
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweli
Generals ran pourly..
Yeah! I thought the gameplay was a bit watered down too.