Last post by PacerDawn
Today 06:05 AM
9 Replies, 917 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

"Too Many PS3s" Claims NotifyWire

You read it right. NotifyWire, an online sales tracking firm, is claiming that there are simply too many PS3s on the market now that the fervor for Sony's behemoth has died down somewhat.

gamesindustry.biz has more details right here.

Quote:
The high price of the PlayStation 3, along with the retail practice of bundling the console with software, has lead to a glut of stock online, claims tracking firm NotifyWire.

The company believes the fervour greeting the console launch has already slowed, with consumers put off by forced software and hardware bundles which in some cases can see the retail price doubled.

"I think we're already at the point where people won't pay a premium for the console or be forced into buying bundles," said Ian Drake, president of NotifyWire.

----------

"Last year we tracked several one thousand dollar Xbox 360 bundles which would sell out in less than two minutes after becoming available." Drake noted a US $1000 PS3 bundle was on offer at an online retailer for over 12 hours recently, claiming, "This sort of thing didn't happen with the Xbox 360 until well after Christmas."
This confirms what I'm beginning to see at retail also - several people have returned their PS3s to the store I'm based at due reasons ranging from "unwanted gift" to "no longer interested in it (which is probably code for 'I tried to hawk it on eBay and nobody wanted it)".
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Vandenh
Evil Dead

People not interested or Sony delivering new units?

IMHO Wii (and lesser extend GoW) has totally stolen the PS3 hype Who would have thought
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
Reanimated
Candyland, Pokeman

Just the first signs of the struggle ahead for PS3 because of it's high price and low value proposition. Now that people are getting hands-on and are able to make direct comparisons, the PS3 hype train has come to a screeching halt.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Well, it's good to hear people aren't buying those retarded bundles. Maybe we'll see them start to go away some time soon.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

I'm really shocked how many PS3s are on Craigslist. I'm convinced a large chunk of people bought the PS3 with the sole intention of selling it. Shocking I know.

The problem is, right now very few people really want one for the price they are.

*Note * I want one and would gladly pay retail.
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
tiremfej
Reaper

Check eBay, they're nearly selling for retail. It's the Wii that's out of control.
tiremfej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 AM   #7
MSUStud911
Subscriber

As lukewarm as my feelings are for PS3, if I saw the $500 version sitting on the shelf at Best Buy and I had a few gift cards in my pocket after Christmas, I'd have a hard time not picking it up.
MSUStud911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
[VSK]BadCRC
Evil Dead

At the Best Buy I work at, we had one sitting on a shelf for nearly four days. Someone picked it up today finally though.
[VSK]BadCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
I'm convinced a large chunk of people bought the PS3 with the sole intention of selling it. Shocking I know.
Consoles are so hard to get at launch that it takes incredible commitment to get one. I don't necessarily view the fact that many people were buying to resell it as a negative against the PS3...I think that's pretty normal. Profit-seekers are pretty motivated, so they'll wait for days in line to make some cash...

What I view as negative is the fact that they're not selling terribly quickly online right now...which is pretty indicative of a cooling in the public's fervor for the machine.

Frankly, I think Sony erred in 'forcing' Blu-ray on consumers; the higher price combined with manufacturing issues generated by Blu-ray component issues has deflated consumer excitement. They're starving the market of consoles while charging too much as well.

Perception often breeds reality. Sony is in danger of suffering a prolonged sluggish growth to their console base, which is already forcing developers to port and/or drop titles on the PS3. This in turn could lead to fewer console sales...the opposite of the virtuous cycle! On the other hand, MS seems to be clearly approaching this virtuous cycle in its base and consistent sales.

Sony's position right now is highly tenuous. They're a capable company, but they have real issues at the moment.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #10
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

I thought Sony said PS3 would sell 5 million units on brand-name alone, without any games available, and that PS3 was already too inexpensive.
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

It'll sell 1) When there's actually games worth owning for it and 2) When it can actually be bought in a store. Sony doesn't have the novelty factor of being the first next gen console out that the 360 had last year, so people are less willing to pay ridiculous prices for it. This is hardly doom and gloom, people are actually exercizing common sense.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 AM   #12
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi
This is hardly doom and gloom, people are actually exercizing common sense.
It's not doom and gloom, but it's worse than you make it seem.

As for common sense, with luxury items like a video game console (it's a luxury, as few people can make a case for needing a console as a part of the basic necessities of life), you don't want consumers to use common sense, you want them to desire your product more than they desire to hold onto their money and/or to purchase a cheaper comparable product.

Common sense doesn't help Sony right now; they need better marketing, more games, and a fix to their manufacturing issues.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
roboninja
Hulk Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi
It'll sell 1) When there's actually games worth owning for it and 2) When it can actually be bought in a store. Sony doesn't have the novelty factor of being the first next gen console out that the 360 had last year, so people are less willing to pay ridiculous prices for it. This is hardly doom and gloom, people are actually exercizing common sense.
You said it, Gorvi. People are exercising common sense and not buying the PS3. I thought the public was more sheep-like than that. Good show people!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:52 AM   #14
MSUStud911
Subscriber

Sony will simply respond with a statement trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. At some point Sony's arrogance has to give way to appeasing the consumers and lowering the obscene price of the PS3. Still, they're obviously hard pressed to do that with the big loss they're already taking on each machine. It's an untenable position for sure. I feel like the real problem with the PS3 is the Blu Ray drive. It's the source of manufacturing delays AND the high price.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by [VSK]BadCRC
At the Best Buy I work at, we had one sitting on a shelf for nearly four days. Someone picked it up today finally though.
Yeah, there were three just hanging out on a shelf at my local Best Buy when I was out christmas shopping the other day. And I've heard similar anecdotes from my friends.

Sounds like some serious ebay-backlash to me.
Ebayers bought em all up, and marked em all up - gamers decided they couldn't lay hands on one for under $800, so they gave up. Ebayers failed to sell, so they returned the units. But nobody is expecting them in stock, so they're not even looking.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #16
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja
You said it, Gorvi. People are exercising common sense and not buying the PS3. I thought the public was more sheep-like than that. Good show people!
Right now it doesn't make sense for people to buy a PS3 for games. Like I said before, it lacks the novelty of being the first next gen system that the 360 had last year. That being said, if I see a 60GB model in a store, I'm snatching it up. I'd still like to play Resistance, I actually want a BluRay player, the PSOne downloads interest me, and come February, Virtua Figher 5 and Oblivion will be out, with more good games coming in the next few months.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #17
Karmakin
Nothing's like before

I don't even think it's a matter of any sort of e-bay backlash. It's before Christmas and all that lovely stuff.

Nintendo has sucked up all the oxygen. I honestly expected both machines to go head to head when it comes to hype and desire, and for both to fly off the shelves as quickly as it hit.

The local Wal-Mart kept a some 60GB PS3s in stock for about 8 hours the last shipment. The last shipment of Wiis sold in 20 minutes. There really is a slowing of the demand for the PS3 right now. This probably means trouble for Sony in the long run, as post-Xmas sales might slow to a crawl, and product could start building in stores, giving the impression of the system as a failure, which encourages less people to buy it..

It really is a downward spiral.

XBL--Karmakin
Karmakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #18
Goronmon
Evil Dead

Sony are doooomed!!!1!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #19
MSUStud911
Subscriber

The Wii is also much much cheaper. If someone walks in and sees one, it's a lot easier to plunk down $250, than $500 or $600.

I have yet to see an actual PS3 anywhere. I guess they're still being snapped up here in Detroit.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #20
Johan
sub-$20 Gamer

I think price is a HUGE issue for most consumers right now, as MSUStud911 said.

Prices went up more in November than in the past thirty years!

That has a direct effect upon spending. If you're a parent on a tight budget, with prices going up and gifts to buy, what would you rather have; a kid-friendly Wii, or the more adult-centric, $500-600 PS3?

Price is absolutely huge. And the Wii comes with a game packed in it, too! It's a better value in the eyes of most everyday consumers who don't care about all the technological components and details we debate over and over here at EvAv. Most people buy a system just to play games, and don't consider the rest of the technical crap.