Last post by Grast5150
Today 08:16 AM
3 Replies, 429 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Cyotik
Ginned up

EB Games to cancel PS3 pre-orders

Today during a conference call, managers of EB Games stores in Canada were told that a list is being made of all pre-orders for Playstation 3's that have been posted for sale on eBay. Lists will be distributed to individual stores and all pre-orders that have appeared on eBay will be canceled by EB in the very near future. According to the information I've been given, this is a joint initiative between EB Games, Sony and eBay. eBay's new policy regarding pre-order sales has made this possible by requiring that all pre-order listings include a photo of the receipt.

Fixed link.

Last edited by Cyotik; 10-30-2006 at 11:29 PM..
Cyotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

?!?

No way!
Why?
Kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
The Radical Cleric
Soul Reaper

Oh. Snap.

Sony should just charge $1000 a piece for the initial batch and be done with it.
The Radical Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
CylonLord
Dread Lord

As long as you didn't throw your pre-order on eBay, you're fine... So much for people trying to turn a profit with their pre-orders....good. I'm all for this kind of crackdown. I wonder if this will happen in the U.S. stores as well....
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radical Cleric
Oh. Snap.

Sony should just charge $1000 a piece for the initial batch and be done with it.
Agreed.
Ms. Kamalot just read the article over my shoulder. Here's what she had to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Kamalot
I guess they're being pushed heavily by Sony, what jerks!
There is NOTHING wrong with selling your PS3 online, as long as your preorder is valid and the bidders KNOW that they are bidding on a preordered PS3, and that it may not come through.

There must be some other reason behind this. Perhaps Sony isn't going to be able to produce the promised number of units.

Looks like I'll have to wait until AFTER I have my hands on a PS3 before I sell it.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Major Scud
Evil Dead

I'm calling bull$h!t. If you look on ebay, people are covering up the details of the receipt that give away which sale this is. This is just something they are saying to scare ebaying associates and hopefully get some people that pre-ordered just to re-sell it, to return the pre-order. Either that, or they will not be able to make their pre-orders with a newly cut shipment number from sony, so they will be cancelling peoples pre-orders that dont have games/accessories and telling them "we know you were ebaying it, so we cancelled your order."
Major Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Kamalot
plays Helix daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Scud
...they will not be able to make their pre-orders with a newly cut shipment number from sony, so they will be cancelling peoples pre-orders that dont have games/accessories and telling them "we know you were ebaying it, so we cancelled your order."
Yeah, that's the way I see it too. Next week we'll get the announcement that Sony cuts shipment forecasts.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Deadend
Evil Dead

Why doesn't Sony just skip the middlemen and sell it on ebay themselves?
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
The Continental
▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

Anyone who puts a piece of paper that entitles the older to a CHANCE at purchasing a PS3 on eBay deserves any repercussions they might face. Wait for the PS3 to come out, actually purchase the unit, then put it up on eBay. It's not that hard folks, I promise.
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #10
mkelehan
Evil Dead

A "joint effort." eBay requires you to post a picture of the receipt, and then uses it to screw you. Bravo, eBay.... bravo.
mkelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Abednigo
Made a good point once

Wasn't this a story a few days after the PS3 preorders started (and ended)? It sounds very familiar.

PSN ID: jjmahoney
Abednigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadend
Why doesn't Sony just skip the middlemen and sell it on ebay themselves?
Oh yeah I'm sure that will be good news to many gamers.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Major Scud
Evil Dead

again, everyone on ebay is covering up their receipt information, if your dumb enough to list your auction with all its info up, then you get what you deserve for being an idiot I guess.
Major Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Sandman
Banned

Every time someone mentions buying a system to sell on E-bay it sickens me a little....knowing that the ebayer is taking the system instead of someone that would actually play it to make money off it. If this is true it's justice IMO. Let the people that actually want the system when it comes out buy the system when it comes out.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
Balthasar
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonLord
As long as you didn't throw your pre-order on eBay, you're fine... So much for people trying to turn a profit with their pre-orders....good. I'm all for this kind of crackdown. I wonder if this will happen in the U.S. stores as well....
How does this stop people from turning a profit with their pre-order? All you have to do is wait until you own the console, then sell it on e-bay. This only scuttles the guys that jumped the gun. PS3s on ebay for $1000 plus is still going to happen. Sorry, folks.
Balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Every time someone mentions buying a system to sell on E-bay it sickens me a little....knowing that the ebayer is taking the system instead of someone that would actually play it to make money off it. If this is true it's justice IMO. Let the people that actually want the system when it comes out buy the system when it comes out.
No doubt. I remember my rage last year with that prick who bought a 360 just to smash it in front of a bunch of people and get their reactions (who then didn't have the balls to, and smashed it just with his friends on video). At the time, units were so scarce, it was a slap in the face to people who actually wanted to play.
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
CylonLord
Dread Lord

This whole launch just keeps getting uglier and uglier. Glad my 360 is keeping me happy

I just can't understand why people would pay ridiculous amounts of money for a PS3 on ebay when there's going to be like 1 game slightly worth getting(Resistance) at launch...and it's another damn FPS... I guess I understand filthy rich parents trying to keep their snotty kids happy for Xmas...but other than that..whats the point??
Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #18
Cyotik
Ginned up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Scud
again, everyone on ebay is covering up their receipt information, if your dumb enough to list your auction with all its info up, then you get what you deserve for being an idiot I guess.
Those people may be covering up names and phone numbers but there's still more than enough information left on those pictures for us to track them down. I could easily pin down an order with things like transaction numbers, times, dates, register numbers, employee numbers, other items purchased in the receipt, payment type, debit card numbers, the last four of a credit card. All those receipts are still trackable, information covered or not.

The thing that bothers me most about this is that a lot of those auctions have already sold, people are going to have to refund thousands of dollars, money they may already have spent. They're going to potentially lose eBay accounts they've probably been using for years. This is quite the setup in my eyes whether or not what the sellers are doing is moral and I've already decided to leave EB over it.
Cyotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #19
RevGored
Evil Dead

hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha this is awesome. Fuck eBayers. That's great man, I can't wait to get this memo handed down.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #20
Maskatron
What doth life?

Agreeing with the people who think this is oh-so-hilarious.

HA-HA! </nelson_laugh>
Maskatron is offline   Reply With Quote