Last post by TUT
Today 07:02 PM
6 Replies, 406 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

METAL JESUS ROCKS!: Unorthodox Acceleration

Some say it's about the journey and not the destination. Well those same people have obviously never been fixated on a checkered flag while traveling at 200+ miles per hour. Kind of hard to take in the scenery when you're power-sliding through an S curve wedged between two competitors who would just as soon see you ground into asphalt sausage as give you the right of way.

Of course, not all racing is so conventional and civilized. In fact, each of the racing games featured in this week's episode of METAL JESUS ROCKS! are anything but ordinary as the Metal Jesus and guest host Jason Heine give us a rundown of their five favorite freaky racers.

Strap into the safety harness and secure your helmet; it's about to get weird on the round-about:

As a huge fan of AutoDuel on the Apple IIe back in the day, I can say with a high degree of certainty that I will be picking up a copy of Car Battler Joe in the very near future.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

After we recorded this video...Jason was sitting down to try and beat the World Record for Excitebots... which he did...

...and then we realized that EXCITEBOTS should have been on the list! That game is wacky unlike any other racing game! Bowling while racing? Baseball? Throwing pies at clowns!? It's awesome!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

I've never played it, but Kung Fu Rider looks like it may have deserved an honorable mention.

Also, one of my favorite obscure racing games of all time was actually an ancient little DOS release back in the early 90s called Slicks'n'Slide (or just "Slicks" for short). It played very similar to Super Sprint or Ironman Ivan Stewart's Offroad. Although super simple (the controls were just forward, back, left, and right), it was a blast to play 4-man multiplayer. Two of us would be using Gravis Gamepads, and the other two would be sharing the keyboard for controls. It had a surprising level of depth, with a wide range of racers, each with varying attributes for speed, acceleration, and weight. The game actually maintained a cult following for years, with official updates and regular tournaments until well into the 2000s (last official update was 2008). Not bad for a tiny little one-off shareware game from 1993.

Another obscure DOS-era combat racer was Zephyr, which I used to own. Unfortunately, that one was just awful: in-game graphics were a blurry, stuttery mess with way too much going on. And the controls were ahborrent, making the game barely playable. Still, it had an amazing audio engine for its time and a really cool front-end menu.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
zeonxavier
Evil Dead

I have Car Battler Joe, but this topic reminded me of Rock and Roll Racing on my SNES. Good times.
zeonxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

My list of games for Part 2 and 3...

Excitebots
Big Red Racing
Rock n Roll Racing
Biker Mice from Mars
Road Trip
Uniracers
Speed Punks
Mashed
Big Rigs
Hot Throttle
Star Wars Super Bombad Racing
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Cel Damage
Cadillac and Dinosaurs Second Cataclysm
Dethkarz
Zephyr
Kung Fu Rider
Slicks n Slide

etc...etc...
Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
I've never played it, but Kung Fu Rider looks like it may have deserved an honorable mention.
I finally watched the trailer for Kung Fu Rider...and it's a Move game ***whewwwwww***

Guess I will never play it...so yeah, it would have to be a honorable mention. Looks definitely wacky though!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
92miata
Evil Dead

What about POD? I think I remember downloading all the cars and tracks from this game to a floppy. Help me here.....
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
DSSJ
Subscriber

Rock n Roll Racing is a classic, even bought it for the GBA again.

Was the one with the crazy stunts in the video Rumble Racing? I think I played that game at a friends in co-op. Was a blast.

I also really liked Rollcage for the PS1. It had nice mechanics and speed for the hardware.
DSSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
Scherge
Weltmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
My list of games for Part 2 and 3...

[...]
Motor Toon Grand Prix
[...]

etc...etc...
I know it was simply called "Motor Toon Grand Prix" in the US, but I certainly hope you're talking about "Motor Toon Grand Prix 2", the single best cartoon racing game (with emphasis on racing) EVER. Part 1 was only released in Japan, but the second simply had everything, including super-silly bonus mini games after completing the career mode (which I sadly was only able to do once, after which I promptly lost my memory card).

Note: Bonus points if you knew about the game before "Gran Turismo" was released.

As for the NeGcon (everyone I know always pronounced it "Ne-Gee-Con", maybe in an attempt to sound more American:-), that thing was simply great. You should try it sometime. I dare say that, if you were used to it, it was more efficient for arcade racing games than a wheel/pedal setup, because of the quicker reaction times. I was really sad to see support for it dropped after "Ridge Racer V". I never cared for the Jogcon, though...

P.S.: The most entertaining LAN racing game I ever played was "Ultim@te Race Pro", from the then-great Kalisto. It was one of the first racers that really showed off the power of 3D accelerator cards, and "rabbit hunt" (or whatever that mode was called) with four players was a blast.

Last edited by Scherge; 09-10-2013 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: Remembered Ultim@te Race (Pro).
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

I also used to have Speed Busters (known as Speed Devils on the Dreamcast) for my Windows 98 PC. Got it for Christmas back in '99, and that game was a blast. It was an obvious rip-off of Cruis'n USA, but it was also one of the first racers for PC I played that I felt was REALLY maxxing out what my shiny new 3DFX Voodoo 3 card could do, what with the multiple branching paths and all the fun set pieces littering the various tracks (dinosaurs walking around, UFOs buzzing overhead). Of course, the racing itself was pretty standard; but the controls were tight and the eye candy was fantastic. (By late 90s standards, at least.)

Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Hey, I saw you at PAX in the Sony booth! You saw me too but of course you have no idea who I was. So weird to have full recognition of someone yet they don't have a clue who you are! LOL. Sorry for not introducing myself, I have social anxiety.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Hey, I saw you at PAX in the Sony booth! You saw me too but of course you have no idea who I was. So weird to have full recognition of someone yet they don't have a clue who you are! LOL. Sorry for not introducing myself, I have social anxiety.
Oh yeah? I really wanted to play a bunch of Vita/PS4 games at that booth...but walked away cuz everything was so crowded. I should have come back on Monday.

Did you play anything cool?

Tags
jason heine, metal jesus, metal jesus rocks, racing, video, weird