Last post by Blog
Today 05:48 PM
28 Replies, 1,621 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

We Have 6 to 8 New IPs in the Works, Says EA

Patrick Soderlund from EA Games told MCV that the publisher has "six to eight completely new IPs in the works."

Quote:
The firm’s current line-up includes sequels to The Sims, Need for Speed, Battlefield and FIFA. Titanfall is the only new IP on the publisher’s roster.

But EA Games chief Patrick Soderlund told MCV that EA is working on new ideas, and points to Star Wars and Mirror’s Edge 2 as proof the firm is still willing to take risks on new ideas.

“We are working on a new Mirror’s Edge game, and although that’s not a new IP, it is a revival done in a new way. We are developing Star Wars Battlefront, which to us is a new IP, even though it isn’t technically,” he said.

“We have six to eight completely new IPs in the works. The day we stop making new IP is when we go onto life support. We need to incubate new ideas and push creative boundaries.”
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
bean19
Butt Stallion

I'm not bothered. It's good for EA that they are doing new IPs - even if they are new IPs we haven't heard about (other than Titanfall), because if you look at the big games on the horizon, there are plenty of new IPs that look great: Watchdogs, The Division, Destiny, EA's Titanfall, Beyond: Two Souls (and more). Also, I don't mind existing IPs that see a lot of innovation. . . I'm really excited about Ass Flag, inFamous, and GTA 5 (PC) too.

Also, what I want out of EA is Dragon Age: Inquisition and the next Mass Effect. There next most exciting games is probably Battlefield 4 (also an existing IP). If you have great IPs that you are innovating on, then do that.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
wildcard
Lord

While I like new ideas, sometimes I would prefer they take an existing ip in a new direction. How about a 4x Mass Effect game? It helps stops them becoming to stale(cod)
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Wonder if they mean like 6-8 new AAA IP's or if they're including stuff like what Popcap would be producing? heh Wonder if they have a MOBA in the works too, since those are 'all the rage'.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

6 to 8 new different colored endings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Wonder if they mean like 6-8 new AAA IP's or if they're including stuff like what Popcap would be producing? heh Wonder if they have a MOBA in the works too, since those are 'all the rage'.
I was thinking cellphone/Ipad marketing games.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

And in the grand ritual of EA, 5 of these will be sacrificed on the altar to Satan and the remaining three turned into dairy cows.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
gawaintheblind
Evil Dead

“We have six to eight completely new IPs in the works. The day we stop making new IP is when we go onto life support."

This just in: EA went on life support in 2008.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Patrick Soderlund is with the EA Games division. Hopefully he was talking about EA Games, and not Electronic Arts overall.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheblind View Post
This just in: EA went on life support in 2008.
Here are the new IPs since 2008 (the last 5 years) from Electronic Arts. This excludes ANY pre-existing IP so movie games and spin-offs of game IPs like Battlefield Heroes are also not included. These are the only pure new IPs in EA's recent history. For brevity's sake, I've also excluded a handful of vaporware handheld/browser/cellphone titles (any hits on handhelds will be included but "Fantasy Safari" and "Road Trippin'" titles will be skipped).

Mass Effect (the first one was 2008)
Army of Two
Boom Blox
Rock Band
Spore
Dead Space

Grand Slam Tennis
Battlefield
Dragon Age
The Saboteur

APB
Deathspank
Shank
Mirror's Edge

Spare Parts
Bulletstorm
The Fancy Pants Adventures
Gatling Gears
Star Wars: The Old Republic (KOTOR existed already, but counting it due to MASSIVE change in the game's scope).

NFL Blitz
Kingdoms of Amalur
Warp
Syndicate (revival of ancient PC title, so not a completely new IP but still a risk.)

Fuse
Titanfall (not yet released)

Source

Analysis: It's not so much that Electronic Arts is opposed to taking risks as that they focus heavily on their existing game studios instead of acquiring new ones. If you have a group that makes mega-hits like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Sims, and Battlefield 3, you don't put them to work on new projects. At the same time, Electronic Arts doesn't seem to feel any need to grow by taking risks by acquiring additional development studios. They have their stable of AAA studios and some cheap ancillary appendages that make cheap vapor-ware browser/cellphone/handheld trash for easy money. That's all they seem interested in, and maybe that's okay. They are already the biggest publisher in gaming and often are so big that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so I think this works.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
gawaintheblind
Evil Dead

ha ha! you got me, Bean! I was trying to be funny, but you definitely showed me what the fuck was up.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Patrick Soderlund is with the EA Games division. Hopefully he was talking about EA Games, and not Electronic Arts overall.
ah Good call, I should've caught that. heh Still doesn't rule out another throwaway MOBA though.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheblind View Post
ha ha! you got me, Bean! I was trying to be funny, but you definitely showed me what the fuck was up.
Oh, I think you made a good point. They do love to make sequels, but I have to say that the quality is there with a lot of their IPs. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Battlefield, Dead Space, The Sims, Burnout, all the EA Sports titles, and now Titanfall are all really strong IPs that sell multiple millions of copies. They may be victims of their own success really because any company that owns one of those IPs has to keep a AAA team developing sequels for that IP or they are throwing money away. That means that EA has a stable of over 10 really talented AAA developers who are all tied the fuck up with successful IPs. The only way they can grow a new team is to buy completely new ones or leach the experience from their existing teams. It's definitely the kind of problem that a publisher is happy to have.

At the same time, that guy has a point. Eventually these IPs will get stale and if they want to continue to grow, they need to keep creating fresh ones. That means they need to figure it out and get some new studios opened. Maybe they need to do an internal Project Greenlight where mid-level design leads and producers pitch their ideas and the best idea gets that group promoted to head a new studio built to make that project. . . or whatever. Point is, they need to figure it out since they only have two new IPs this year. Fuse was a dud and Titanfall is a sure win, but only two new IPs for a whole year?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

That article was basically:

We have tonnes of new IPs like Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront!

These count because we decided they count.

EA doesn't do new IPs.

They did, for one fleeting moment, then realised they can just grind out sequels and still make money and it was back to business as usual.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #16
Azzy
Cthulian

.. and not a single fuck was given.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

Wow they actually don't know exactly how many new IPs they are working on .
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Pluvious
Evil Dead

Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post
Lol, sad but true ^_^

Why is this, do we think? Is it because large organizations simply lose touch? Is it because they focus on the bottom line rather than what's fun?

Is it because committees suck at deciding things, or the dynamics change that make them inherently more conservative, leading to safe milquetoast decisions over and over?

I think so.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

It's because they focus on the bottom line, which leads to committees who suck and this in turn leads to the companies getting out of touch.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronic arts