Last post by brandonjclark
Today 11:27 AM
10 Replies, 1,282 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Rommel
International Playboy

Samsung Brings the Singularity

Tom's Hardware offers the big news from Samsung: the Note 3 (Now with even more galaxy) and the integrated Galaxy Gear Smartwatch.

Note 3
Quote:
As expected, Samsung revealed the Galaxy Note 3 today at its event in Berlin. It improves upon the Galaxy Note 2 with a wider 5.7-inch full HD Super AMOLED display, yet slimmer (8.3mm) and lighter (168g) hardware design, and more powerful and longer lasting (3,200mAh) battery

Galaxy Gear Smartwatch
Quote:
In terms of basic operation, it pairs with a compatible Galaxy phone (currently the Note 3, 10.1, and soon the S4) and notifies users of incoming messages, such as calls, texts, emails and alerts, delivers a preview of those messages. When an incoming message requires more than a quick glance, users can simply pick up their Galaxy devices and the Smart Relay feature will instantly reveal the full content on the screen.
As a proud owner of a Note 2, I am frequently asked the name of the monster phone I carry. I let strangers hold it and often the discussion includes "Isn't it too big?" Jokes ensue from that, of course, and then they reluctantly give it back--wanting one for themselves.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
OmegaVader
Evil Dead

Phablets are a love-it-or-hate-it experience (I need something that fits in my jean pocket, so personally they're not for me), but smart watches I am fairly certain are a complete and utter bust.
OmegaVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
vallor
Subscriber

I have a few friends with a note 2 and they love it. It inspired me to keep an eye out for the 3 when it came out though I'm not out of my cell contract for another year this will be my replacement (or the 4 if it's out by then).

As for the smart watch, I have a Pebble which is a real solid device with very dedicated updates and for nearly half the price of these (Kickstarter anyway, I think they retail for $150).

I haven't worn a watch for 20 years but these days I feel lost if I leave the house without my Pebble. I keep my phone on silent and the vibration on the iPhone 5 isn't nearly strong enough for me to always notice when a text or call comes in. With the Pebble vibration on my wrist I haven't missed a call or text since (unless I'm ignoring someone).

Anyway, the point is I think these watches are too expensive, but they definitely have real value if people dev for them like they have with Pebble.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

I personally cannot wait for my next Note. The 2 is so thin that I have no problems fitting it in my pocket, even with the Otter Box case. In fact, it is easier to fit than was my old iPhone 4 in its Otter Box. With the leather-style back and, potentially, a water-proof version next year (Following the Galaxy 4 model of release than render invincible) I wouldn't even need a case for the phone that is thinner yet again this generation.

As for the watch ... ehhh. All it does is sync to your phone. Why do I then need it? Is the act of holding my phone for the brief moment when checking arrives so inconvenient? I wear a douchey earpiece all the time for music and podcasts anyway, so a second tethered-accessory device does nothing for me.

Bring on Google glass!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Jack9
Reaper

Phablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVader View Post
Phablets are a love-it-or-hate-it experience (I need something that fits in my jean pocket, so personally they're not for me), but smart watches I am fairly certain are a complete and utter bust.
+1

Phablet. Love the name. My Note 2 is mostly met with eager and puzzling curiosity and put down with envy, as described. I will have the same feelings about the Note 3, I'm sure.
Jack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Smartwatch, hell yes. Want.

As for the Note 3, the S4 is already big enough. Just on the edge of too big. Seems perfect.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Paranoia
Evil Dead

I wish I can sell off my note II so I can get a note III.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Dudes! S Pen bump.

I am verging on the edge of sanity, at this point. I can stare into the abyss ... but at least I can doodle what I see with my Note 2.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Totally thought along the lines of the title with this news. Nuts!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Yeah, I have had a Note 2 since January and it is easily the best phone I have ever had. Everyone always stops me to ask what the hell it is (I have it in an Otterbox on my hip), but some of my friends call it my colostomy bag....

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
automaton
Evil Dead

We all made fun of the Dell Streak 4 years ago for being absurdly huge and that thing only had a 5" screen. Turns out it was just ahead of its time....and TOO SMALL.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Meeks
Evil Dead

My current phone is the Galaxy Nexus (yeah, I'm due for an upgrade). My wife has the Galaxy SIII. Both of these phones have turned me off to Samsung for one simple reason: battery life (or the lack thereof).

If I don't use my phone, it's generally dead by the early afternoon. If I do use it, it's done within a few hours. You might have seen the commercial with the guy talking on his phone as he walks through an office building, constantly plugging his charger into various power outlets along the way as he talks. Yeah, that's basically me. I keep a charger pretty much everywhere I use my phone for more than a couple minutes at a time.

My wife's GSIII does a little better, but not much. How's the Note series on battery life? I'm someone who would definitely take advantage of the larger screen a phablet provides. But if it comes at the expense of battery life, no thanks.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
My current phone is the Galaxy Nexus (yeah, I'm due for an upgrade). My wife has the Galaxy SIII. Both of these phones have turned me off to Samsung for one simple reason: battery life (or the lack thereof).

If I don't use my phone, it's generally dead by the early afternoon. If I do use it, it's done within a few hours. You might have seen the commercial with the guy talking on his phone as he walks through an office building, constantly plugging his charger into various power outlets along the way as he talks. Yeah, that's basically me. I keep a charger pretty much everywhere I use my phone for more than a couple minutes at a time.

My wife's GSIII does a little better, but not much. How's the Note series on battery life? I'm someone who would definitely take advantage of the larger screen a phablet provides. But if it comes at the expense of battery life, no thanks.
If I turn off the animated backgrounds, they last from morning until I return from the office in the evening. That's with GPS, wifi, blutooth, mobile data, a few podcasts, maybe one gaming session and a handful of calls. Animated backgrounds kill the phone before I get to work, especially the ones that update per the weather.

I have a second battery and charger--that kit only costs a little more than the data cable I fried last month, in fact. I swap it out batteries on weekends where I am constantly out and about.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Dudes! S Pen bump.

I am verging on the edge of sanity, at this point. I can stare into the abyss ... but at least I can doodle what I see with my Note 2.
No, that's not sanity that's orgasm. Stop masturbating to cell phones at work.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
automaton
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post

That's funny. I have a Galaxy Nexus as well and this is the story of my life. I travel for work and on days when I'm traveling and using my phone heavily, it is not uncommon for me to have to fully recharge the thing 3 times. I keep a charger at home, at work on my desk, in my car, in my laptop carrying case and I carry around a fully charged extra battery. It is ABSURD.

It's so bad for me that pretty much my only criteria for my next phone is that I can make it through a full day of heavy use without a recharge. The Moto Razr MAXX will do this. I have friends who go multiple days between charges on that phone. I'm also considering the Moto X as, ideally, it should get good battery life because of the mid-range specs.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVader View Post
smart watches I am fairly certain are a complete and utter bust.
I'm almost on board with this statement ^ except that people will buy it simply for the novelty, and when enough money is thrown at something the world eventually innovates that product into something truly useful (and marketable). Wrist watch tablets? Ummm no. Wrist watch baby monitors when you're out to dinner? Yes. Monitor your personal vitals in real time while out on a jog? Hell yes.

Nature will find a way to make this thing useful. Until then it's just another expensive "thing" for the fart quaffers in the bay area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Seeing my texts on a watch actually strikes me as a good idea, but the watch needs to look like a watch, not a stupid little phone strapped to my wrist.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
Seeing my texts on a watch actually strikes me as a good idea, but the watch needs to look like a watch, not a stupid little phone strapped to my wrist.
With a little miracle called "wallpaper" it can look like whatever you want. Since the wristwatch industry is TANKING, this might be the only hope for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

Any 'feature' that requires looking at and touching a smartwatch for 2 seconds or more is a complete failure. I could've pulled out my phone and had an all-around better experience.

Voice features are fine. Alert triage is awesome. A bunch of passive sensors to supplement the phone is boss. Some way to cycle through status tiles (basically Google Now cards and run/ride status sorts of things) is great. And a passive proximity-based security feature would be killer.

(When my watch moves away from my computer, lock it. when my watch is near my phone, require no passcode; if it's not nearby, require a full password.)

Anything past that -- if they start talking about how I could take a shitty picture (why?) or play a shitty game (?!) or peck through an SMS or email (are you fucking kidding?) -- I'm out. With prejudice.
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

The BACK button is on the RIGHT! Failboat!

And it can't take as good pictures as my Nokia...err.. Microsoft Lumia 1020.

And can it earn me Xbox Live Achievements? Nope... nope...