Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
The Hunger Games:...
Last post by KlausFlouride
Today 08:34 AM
8 Replies, 1,133 Views
ArcheAge - Launch Trailer
Last post by KlausFlouride
Today 08:32 AM
13 Replies, 790 Views
Destiny Expands with a...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:28 AM
25 Replies, 1,397 Views
Vrvana Announces Oculus...
Last post by KlausFlouride
Today 08:25 AM
13 Replies, 1,050 Views
Comic Release List -...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:24 AM
2 Replies, 3 Views
Front Page Sports...
Last post by gzsfrk
Today 08:08 AM
5 Replies, 746 Views
Are Video Games Sexist?
Last post by Venkman
Today 07:09 AM
26 Replies, 3,240 Views
IFred Confirms...
Last post by Rommel
Today 01:46 AM
86 Replies, 6,017 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,279
Blog Entries: 19
Castle of Illusion Reviews


The reviews are out for Sega's HD remake of Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, and the word is mostly good, though it doesn't stand up to the remake of Ducktales.
IGN 6.7/10
Game Informer 7/10
Polygon 7/10
Joystiq 4/5
Eurogamer 7/10
Videogamer 4/10

Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
LoTECH
Evil Dead
 
LoTECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Outside your bedroom window...
Posts: 2,194
Blog Entries: 1
Looks like shit, I guess.

Too bad. I was hoping for the best with this
__________________
LIVE/PSN:LoTECH
A hit with the ladies since the 1980's.
LoTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 7,982
This looked great at PAX and I pre-ordered on PS3 for the free dynamic theme and original Genesis game. Gonna check out my copy tonight.

Lately its been a weird fad in gaming media to shit on almost every game.
__________________
Every post I make here would get me banned on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
LoTECH
Evil Dead
 
LoTECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Outside your bedroom window...
Posts: 2,194
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
This looked great at PAX and I pre-ordered on PS3 for the free dynamic theme and original Genesis game. Gonna check out my copy tonight.

Lately its been a weird fad in gaming media to shit on almost every game.
More power to ya if you enjoy it, but I read the controls were pretty floaty and it was way too easy.

It happens to release the same week as Rayman Legends, as well. And that game is being hailed as one of the greatest 2D platformer a of all time.
__________________
LIVE/PSN:LoTECH
A hit with the ladies since the 1980's.
LoTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
VIVIsectVI
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 352
I downloaded the demo and the controls are terrible. I really wanted to like this because I used to play the original religiously.
VIVIsectVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 7,982
Just spent 30 minutes with it. It is NOT too easy unless you're a platforming god. I'm sure as hell not, I have trouble getting through even the easiest Mario games. The game is very colorful and sharp with a great soundtrack, narration and atmosphere. The controls DO feel imprecise in terms of nailing where you land when you're in the air, but I attributed that to the rather crummy Dualshock 3 thumbsticks on the PS3 and my lesser experience with these thumbsticks compared to the 360.

Once I get access to the 360 demo I will try again. Right now its at least an 8/10 in my book. If controls aren't better on 360, I might knock it down to 7/10. Anything less is just plain cynical, jaded, and vitriolic.
__________________
Every post I make here would get me banned on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623
I just bought it today and I would give it an 8/10.

Professional reviewers are tools, I've decided.

The game is flat out amazing. It's gorgeous and dripping with attention to detail. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I mean, I was literally thinking, while playing, "this thing looks gorgeous and sounds fantastic". I was eating it up with a spoon and it's one of the rare games I have played in the past few years where the visuals were actively entertaining me.

As for the control, it is a little bit crusty, but not becuase of floaty jumping. Micky does jump in a floaty way, but he did in the original game as well. Not all games are supposed to control the same, and every good platform game has their own style of jump. Simon Belmont didn't jump like Samus Aran who didn't jump like Mario, who didn't jump like Megaman. YOu have to get used to mickey's jump, but all the platforms are designed for his jumping style so it's a wash. I just completed a jumping bonus scenario where i jumped on llike8 or 9 floating platforms consecutively without stopping so it's clearly a capable jumping system.

As for difficulty, no, it's not hard. But there are bonus scenarios all over the place that actually can be quite tricky to get to. I'm someone who just played Ducktales to 100% on the hardest difficulty with "hard pogo" turned on, so if Mickey was too easy, I wouldn't be praising it at all.

I think it's absolutely worth the money to anyone who loves platforming games or loves disney. It is absolutey a work of art and playing it feels like being in Disney World.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred
 
Suicidal ShiZuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Right on the Beach
Posts: 8,450
Blog Entries: 1
The mainstream reviewers haven't been reliable for years...
__________________
"This game raped my wife, slaughtered my son and left me for dead."
"It's uplifting to see people support retro gaming platforms like the PC." - Evil Avatar
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
laggerific
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,560
Retro remakes and all have been largely panned for years. When Double Dragon and TMNT were released people were tripping over each other trying to let everyone know how lame these games are compared to what our modern superiors provide. But, if you are looking for something authentic and consistent with the original, these are great.
__________________
gamertag: laggerific

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post
Retro remakes and all have been largely panned for years. When Double Dragon and TMNT were released people were tripping over each other trying to let everyone know how lame these games are compared to what our modern superiors provide. But, if you are looking for something authentic and consistent with the original, these are great.
RIght.

Jeff Gerstmann at Giantbomb trashed Double Dragon Neon in the Quicklook. I made a forum post detailing point by point how the elements he was complaining about were actually taken directly out of Double Dragon 1, 2 and 3. In later podcasts and whatnot he softened his viewpoint into saying the game was actually pretty good.

I can't say the two things go together, but maybe.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 7,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I just bought it today and I would give it an 8/10.

Professional reviewers are tools, I've decided.

The game is flat out amazing. It's gorgeous and dripping with attention to detail. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I mean, I was literally thinking, while playing, "this thing looks gorgeous and sounds fantastic". I was eating it up with a spoon and it's one of the rare games I have played in the past few years where the visuals were actively entertaining me.

As for the control, it is a little bit crusty, but not becuase of floaty jumping. Micky does jump in a floaty way, but he did in the original game as well. Not all games are supposed to control the same, and every good platform game has their own style of jump. Simon Belmont didn't jump like Samus Aran who didn't jump like Mario, who didn't jump like Megaman. YOu have to get used to mickey's jump, but all the platforms are designed for his jumping style so it's a wash. I just completed a jumping bonus scenario where i jumped on llike8 or 9 floating platforms consecutively without stopping so it's clearly a capable jumping system.

As for difficulty, no, it's not hard. But there are bonus scenarios all over the place that actually can be quite tricky to get to. I'm someone who just played Ducktales to 100% on the hardest difficulty with "hard pogo" turned on, so if Mickey was too easy, I wouldn't be praising it at all.

I think it's absolutely worth the money to anyone who loves platforming games or loves disney. It is absolutey a work of art and playing it feels like being in Disney World.
Great mini-review, I feel exactly the same way. I'm just not sure about the controls, I keep falling off ledges too much, I almost with I had bought it on the 360. What platform do you have it on? I think I will have to put on my grippy skins on the DS3 thumbsticks for this game.
__________________
Every post I make here would get me banned on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Great mini-review, I feel exactly the same way. I'm just not sure about the controls, I keep falling off ledges too much, I almost with I had bought it on the 360. What platform do you have it on? I think I will have to put on my grippy skins on the DS3 thumbsticks for this game.
I'm playing on PS3. I'm playing on a 3rd party Mad Catz controller though. I use the Dpad for all the 2d parts and the analog stick for al the 3d parts.

I haven't had a problem jumping at all, but I died like 5 or 6 times trying to run away from that Apple in the first level because Micky would get hung up trying to round the corner from the 3d perspective to the 2d perspective.

I only cleared 2 worlds last night, though, before I went to bed. I might find it more frustrating a little bit later.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
castle of illusion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM.