Last post by Agnostic Pope
Today 02:59 PM
57 Replies, 4,997 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Anenome
Autarchist

Firefall Unveils Stage 2 of its Open Beta

Two new battleframes, new enemies, increased enemy activity during the opening of this event, and new melding portals. Check it out:

Download now, it's free to play.
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Yeah, when you're FTP and releasing content updates it is no longer a Beta.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Yeah, when you're FTP and releasing content updates it is no longer a Beta.
Or you could be beta'ing new content.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
vallor
Evil Dead

And zero fucks were given.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
And zero fucks were given.
This.

What a hype generator the was for this game. Once I got a chance at the "Open Beta" I couldn't believe how slipshod and unfinished it looked. I can't believe it's still being bankrolled a year later.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
gawaintheblind
Evil Dead

I vaguely remember playing this the first time around and feeling sort of let down. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't anything great.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber

This could be the best thing ever and nobody would care because of good ole'fashion stigma. The only cure is getting big name industry celebs together experiencing and criticizing while having a good time during a snazzy little mingle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Mr. Lake
Developer

Considering the game is FREE and you don't have to buy anything, some of you sure are a picky bunch. I play it semi regularly, and it's got growing pains and quality issues to be sure, but I can see the intent and enjoy the GAMEPLAY for what it is. Yes, the art is hodgepodge and even terrible in spots, and yes the progression is fairly shallow, but at it's core the crafting system has a lot of potential and the new world objectives and instances are a lot of fun.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Eldila
Death Knight

I find it really interesting that releasing a beta to early could be so poisonous. Several here say that they would never touch the game again because of problems they saw at the beginning of the beta. What was so bad that there is no way it could have ever been fixed?
Eldila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
Considering the game is FREE and you don't have to buy anything, some of you sure are a picky bunch. I play it semi regularly, and it's got growing pains and quality issues to be sure, but I can see the intent and enjoy the GAMEPLAY for what it is. Yes, the art is hodgepodge and even terrible in spots, and yes the progression is fairly shallow, but at it's core the crafting system has a lot of potential and the new world objectives and instances are a lot of fun.
The game is shit we need less developers like them and yourself. The "art" looks like something done by a blind fifth grader with too much finger paint and the entire game is shallow. You have the damn balls to call people picky because a game is "free" as if that means anything other than higher odds of being bad. Go fuck yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldila View Post
I find it really interesting that releasing a beta to early could be so poisonous. Several here say that they would never touch the game again because of problems they saw at the beginning of the beta. What was so bad that there is no way it could have ever been fixed?
There have been fundamental issues from the start that were never addressed. The gameplay that Lake seems to love is completely shallow and the structure behind the game makes weapons and combat feel like crap.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldila View Post
They tried to do a 'true' beta rather than a marketing beta, and beta-playing assholes who'd probably never played a non-marketing beta in their lives complained and pre-judged the game. Shit was broken all the time. Whatever, it's a goddamn beta. Duh. Shit's gonna be broken.

Game's tons better--as one would expect from a late-stage open beta.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
They tried to do a 'true' beta rather than a marketing beta, and beta-playing assholes who'd probably never played a non-marketing beta in their lives complained and pre-judged the game. Shit was broken all the time. Whatever, it's a goddamn beta. Duh. Shit's gonna be broken.

Game's tons better--as one would expect from a late-stage open beta.
All they are doing now is polishing a turd. I was slightly impressed by the new starter zone structure with the tutorial aspects to use different classes but that was all. The core of the game is broken and always has been. Hell now there are major issues with enemy and player population. The daily events that go on are extremely lame generic quests with typical respawn problems and even the PvP is a joke. I've participated in more betas and early builds of games than I can remember before the recent early access trend. The major problems are inherent with the shitty design behind the entire game and have not really changed in a considerable way.

The sad part is there really was a lot of potential here and it was all ruined.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
The game is shit we need less developers like them and yourself. ... Go fuck yourself.
I feel sorry for you. I really, REALLY do.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Zane
Subscriber

Tried this game again a couple of days ago with a friend. It was OK for the first few hours but then ended up being a crafting grind IMO. Missions were generic and repetitive and more than half the time we got to the mission it was already completed by other players. Making people grind 200,000c to get a vehicle or pay $75 for the large pack kinda sucks.

We got to the point where we felt like we needed to grind thumping and missions (which we usually couldn't reach in time) to get anywhere and in our opinion that was boring. We could have gone the PVP route but honestly I found the weapons to be lacking and unfun compared to other FPSes.

The crafting system is interesting and I'd like to get into it more but the rest of the game doesn't have enough to it to keep me interested. The combat needs tuning and the game needs a TON more content. Seems like half the missions were "crashed LGV" or "downed thumper".
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
but then ended up being a crafting grind IMO.
Yep, tis a crafting grind. Kinda makes it feel a bit more like real life. Building something takes hours or days sometimes, especially upper tier equipment.

The quests are still generic and random and too often repeated.

It's why I'm much enthusiastic about Destiny, but this will scratch my MMO-FPS itch for now.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
I feel sorry for you. I really, REALLY do.
I do too... Thanks to apologists such as yourself and crappy devs like Red 5 we get terrible games like Firefall all the time. I have to put up with seeing potential ruined by greed or incompetence and mediocrity being acceptable. With Firefall the problem is all three of those.

Tags
firefall