Last post by MasterKwan
Today 11:18 AM
7 Replies, 568 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

EverQuest Next Revealed

Sony Online Entertainment is in the process of unveiling EverQuest Next on Twitch if you want to jump in and have a look. PC Gamer has the story.

Quote:
A wizard blasts away a hunk of hillside with an explosive spell. “Did you see what just happened?” asks David Georgeson, EverQuest Next Director of Development.

Until now we’ve been talking about races, classes, and weapons. You know, fantasy MMORPG stuff. Georgeson loops the animation and I raise my eyebrows as chunks of hillside fly and tumble out of the explosion. So, deformable terrain?

“Yes. Something that every designer I know of has always wanted to do, and which we’re doing in this game, is that every single thing in the world is composed of pieces,” he says. “We can blow up anything at any time, anywhere.”

Eyebrow levels are now stable at 50 percent elevation. What if a bunch of mages get together and try to dig as far as they can?

“Yep, they can,” says Georgeson. But certainly they can’t just keep digging and digging, and, what—fall into a secret underground cave?

“Exactly,” he says. My eyebrows flutter toward the ceiling as Georgeson explains that players can explore a procedurally-generated, randomized underworld by “phasing through with magical spells or digging through with equipment,” and this winter will get access to the developer’s voxel building tools in a separate free-to-play game, EverQuest Next Landmark, which he describes as Minecraft’s creative mode in thousand-player persistent worlds.
Click on the image to view the screenshots, and the headline for some videos.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

The entire world is made of voxels.

3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

I read on another site that they're planning to let players create items with the toolset and sell them for real money.

-edit nevermind, that feature is for a separate game called Everquest Next: Landmark.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Saudade
Evil Dead

I am intrigued. I do like what I see and will be keeping an eye on this one.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Part of me really pulls for everquest, but it looks like they kind of WOW-ified the art, doesn't it? It's funny, when WOW debuted, I remember LOVING the art. Now, I'm just kind of sick of all the games that have aped it.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
bean19
Butt Stallion

Yeah, it looks neat. I'm less interested in terrain that can blow up than I am in good gameplay and story.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Part of me really pulls for everquest, but it looks like they kind of WOW-ified the art, doesn't it? It's funny, when WOW debuted, I remember LOVING the art. Now, I'm just kind of sick of all the games that have aped it.
I'm not sure what you mean. I've studied art (briefly) in college because I wanted to be a game designer and there is a ton of stuff they are doing differently from WoW. I'm having trouble finding the similarity that made you think that.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I've studied art (briefly) in college because I wanted to be a game designer and there is a ton of stuff they are doing differently from WoW. I'm having trouble finding the similarity that made you think that.
They cartoonized it with over exaggerated limbs and animations in the vein of the art direction you see in WoW. It is similar but not exactly like it.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
wunshot
Subscriber

Looks pretty tight. Makes me miss doing corpse runs through the world with a huge train of mobs chasing you from zone to zone.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Saudade
Evil Dead

And what is there not to like about destructible terrain? This is something that needs to be added to help evolve today's MMOs into next-gen gameplay. And I agree, if the gameplay isn't there but I can blow shit up, the game will suck.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Tolgar
Evil Dead

A lot of this stuff sounds only interesting in a vacuum, once you add other players and the usual super dickery of the internet, it sounds like all these features could goto hell very fast. You'd either need a ton of phasing/instancing, a HUGE world where you don't even see another person for 20 minutes even on a full server, or changes to terrain/events would reset every hour/20 minutes or so. Otherwise the first few people through an area are just going to screw things up for the next people going through. It's just human nature.

I'm also reminded of Peter Molyneux when I heard these pitches, these sounds like Fable promises that were either subpar or never realized.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
The main thing that is a hallmark of WOW is the supersaturated color palette. The colors are all blown out to ridiculous levels. Other than that, the proportions on the figures are extremely exaggerated. Weapons and armor tend to be extremely oversized and chunky. Etc.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Zelos
Zoidberg

Will there be a way to order pizza in game?

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

Sweet. The voxel future I envisioned 20 years ago is slowly but surely coming to pass.

My original belief was that polygon tech would become so granular and powerful so as to approximate or achieve by another means voxel-concepts. Ie: rather than building bespoke and non-extensible voxel engines to achieve granular deformation and destruction, you could approximate it with polygons, and that's what we're seeing these days.

These are still early days, the destruction still isn't very granular, but that just shows how far the hardware has yet to go.

As polygon-pushing ability improves, the industry should move naturally towards voxel-simulation concepts, because there's really nothing else to do with extra polygon-pushing power except emulate voxel's ability to deform and explode, etc.

Eventually the ability to push polygons should become so powerful that you can emulate voxels on a sub-pixel level and create things like realistic free-flowing sand built out of particles modeled from actual sand-grains and a physics simulation, and water that flows like real water built with a mass-simulation of flowing particles, etc.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
The main thing that is a hallmark of WOW is the supersaturated color palette. The colors are all blown out to ridiculous levels. Other than that, the proportions on the figures are extremely exaggerated. Weapons and armor tend to be extremely oversized and chunky. Etc.
Exactly. What stands out the most and mimics WoW is the over-sized shoulder pad armor. The devs of WoW have always stated that the over-sized shoulder armor was one of the defining artistic qualities of World of Warcraft and that reason alone was why they never allowed players to 'hide' shoulder armor.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Sweet. The voxel future I envisioned 20 years ago is slowly but surely coming to pass.

My original belief was that polygon tech would become so granular and powerful so as to approximate or achieve by another means voxel-concepts. Ie: rather than building bespoke and non-extensible voxel engines to achieve granular deformation and destruction, you could approximate it with polygons, and that's what we're seeing these days.

These are still early days, the destruction still isn't very granular, but that just shows how far the hardware has yet to go.

As polygon-pushing ability improves, the industry should move naturally towards voxel-simulation concepts, because there's really nothing else to do with extra polygon-pushing power except emulate voxel's ability to deform and explode, etc.

Eventually the ability to push polygons should become so powerful that you can emulate voxels on a sub-pixel level and create things like realistic free-flowing sand built out of particles modeled from actual sand-grains and a physics simulation, and water that flows like real water built with a mass-simulation of flowing particles, etc.
And there we go! Took longer than expected. And no one ever doubted you, it's just you've been pushing Voxeltopia since well, well before it was a realistic goal. Me? I prefer jerking off to Tomb Raider.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
And there we go! Took longer than expected. And no one ever doubted you, it's just you've been pushing Voxeltopia since well, well before it was a realistic goal. Me? I prefer jerking off to Tomb Raider.
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
Exactly. What stands out the most and mimics WoW is the over-sized shoulder pad armor. The devs of WoW have always stated that the over-sized shoulder armor was one of the defining artistic qualities of World of Warcraft and that reason alone was why they never allowed players to 'hide' shoulder armor.
Which they stole from GDW's Warhammer & Warhammer 40,000 tabletop games.

So, there is that.

As for EverQuest Next... I find it impossible to get excited about any F2P game. That makes me think 2nd string team with extremely limited amount of content.

Tags
everquest next, soe, sony online entertainment