Last post by Suicidal ShiZuru
Yesterday 05:52 PM
7 Replies, 1,358 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Twitch Partners with Steam

Twitch has partnered with Steam in a deal that will allow users to link their accounts together.

Quote:
Twitch users can now link their Twitch account to their Steam account. In particular, this is big news for Dota 2 fans, who can now watch tournament matches via Twitch, and receive item drops through Steam at the same time.

And it sounds like this is just the start of a relationship between Twitch and Valve, as the latter says that it will be working with Twitch to expand on the features available via this system in the months to come.
Read more at Gamasutra
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
bean19
Butt Stallion

Does Twitch do anything other than DOTA 2? I'm not a fan of it. Oh. . . evidently, Twitch is a "pro-gaming" streaming site. That's not my thing, but okay, whatever.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
randir14
Subscriber

People use it to stream all sorts of things, not just pro gaming.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Are there really people stupid enough to watch other people play games rather than play games themselves?

That is the essential paradox that I think will always invalidate gaming as a sport.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

^I prefer it over sports, which I find incredibly boric to watch unless there in person or actually playing. I periodically watch twitch streams. It's good watching better players as you learn techniques and strategies, particularly in matches with shout casters. I rarely do it though, for as you said, it's more enjoyable on my end to just play instead. But dems my reasons.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
bean19
Butt Stallion

I find watching League of Legends fun to watch though I never seek it out. It's just something I do occasionally while waiting for a friend to get out of a match so we can team together and tbh, I'm over LoL for now though I expect I'll be interested again someday.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

PC is just sexy. Like some of these MILFs in the ads.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
StANTo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Are there really people stupid enough to watch other people play games rather than play games themselves?

That is the essential paradox that I think will always invalidate gaming as a sport.
I don't see how considering watching someone play games can be considered 'stupid' or because you find it stupid, that it makes it a 'paradox' which invalidates gaming as a sport ?

That's not to say that I find all games interesting to watch or that I even consider computer gaming as a sport - but it can be competitive and for the games which are competitive, watching others play games has the potential to show different tactics, techniques, laugh at how bad or good someone is or even just to be able to see the story of the game when it's not possible to beat the game yourself.
StANTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Welcome to the Shark Jumper's club 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
ldi222
Subscriber

Quote:

Do you watch the NFL?
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Ordinairy
Death Knight

I watch Twitch regularly. I enjoy watching SC2 games and tourney's. Personally I am terrible at PvP games of all types so I enjoy watching those that excel at the game play and see the strategies and skills they bring.

It's enjoyable.
Ordinairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldi222 View Post
Do you watch the NFL?
No, I don't. However, I'm not going to be running out and playing Pro Football any time soon.

The difference here is that I could go out and play Call of Duty or League of Legends at any time. And if you have ever played any of these games against so called "Pro" gamers, you will quickly find out that the skill gap between yourself and these pro players isn't all that large.

The same isn't true for Pro Football, Baseball, Hockey players. There is a massive gap between those people and people like myself.

That's why I think it is pretty pointless to watch people play these games. You might as well play it yourself.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:

There are hundreds, of thousands, who watch other people play games on Twitch. The same as people who watch Let's Play series of games on any number of Youtube channels.

The bigger games on Twitch that draw in views are mainly the eSports games like League of Legends, Starcraft 2 etc LoL routinely has over 50,000 people watching at any given point, almost 200k+ when there are big tournaments. Hell there's 74,000 people watching it right now at 5:30 am EST)

And more prominent streamers also gain an audience. People like Towelliee, Reckful, Sodapoppin, LethalFrag, Sigelmic, etc all draw in 3,000+ people watching each of them play a variety of non-eSport games.

Why do people watch? It varies. Some people enjoy the personality of the streamer, some people like watching the competitive eSports channels, etc I know there is a small subset of the twitch population who actually watch games that their PC can't really run such as Crysis 3. Hell I watch Twitch daily, while I'm gaming because I can't play a game in silence. It drives me up the wall. I can only listen to so many podcasts and tv shows each week before that audio content dries up, so I often keep a twitch channel open in my browser while I play a game. Some people listen to the radio, I listen to twitch.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #14
RossCoBrit
Squire

EVO is coming up this week, and I'll take the Marvel finals stream over any sporting event you could mention.

There will be beers and shouting at my TV, and it will be glorious.
RossCoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yes.

People watch people eat hot dogs.
People watch people catch balls, run around and sweat.
People watch people swing a metal stick at a tiny ball the size of a testicle and marvel at it.
People watch other people have sex.

People watch other people do things they could be doing all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
We had this talk. Blueseed launches in 2014.
I intend to [move]. 2014 asshole.
Time is a-wastin', AnenoBob from Baghdad!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Bacarat
Dread Lord

Quote:
No, I don't. However, I'm not going to be running out and playing Pro Football any time soon.

The difference here is that I could go out and play Call of Duty or League of Legends at any time. And if you have ever played any of these games against so called "Pro" gamers, you will quickly find out that the skill gap between yourself and these pro players isn't all that large.

The same isn't true for Pro Football, Baseball, Hockey players. There is a massive gap between those people and people like myself.

That's why I think it is pretty pointless to watch people play these games. You might as well play it yourself.
What a joke, I would argue the skill gap is even bigger in the more played eports titles. Starcraft is a good example, HUGE skillgap, especially in Broodwar. FPS such as counter strike is another great example. Your living in dreamland if you think the skillgap between yourself and pro players of these titles isn't anything less than MASSIVE. You have to take into account the game as well, just as in sports a pro bejeweled players skillgap may not be all that big, but a game like starcraft its huge. Its already happening, eports is a multi-million dollar industry, millions of people watch pro matches all day every day and you not accepting that isnt going to make it go away.

"Science replaces private prejudice with publicly verifiable evidence." - Richard Dawkins
Bacarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Does Twitch do anything other than DOTA 2? I'm not a fan of it. Oh. . . evidently, Twitch is a "pro-gaming" streaming site. That's not my thing, but okay, whatever.
Speedruns for old games are kinda cool to watch sometimes. Day Z channels get interesting every now and then if you are into that. I would go more if there were a few more older dudes on there but yeah its a cool kids site. And by cool kids i mean kids that think they are cool but mostly mouthy and skinny.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

Cubex55 on youtube and longplays.org say hi.

I get your point but im so lazy even picking up the controller isnt worth it. Ill just watch someone else do it.

Tags
steam, twitch