Last post by Mix-Master
Today 05:17 PM
1 Replies, 306 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Destiny E3 Gameplay Walkthrough

Bungie has released the full Destiny walkthrough video from the reveal at E3.

Click on the headline to watch the video.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Practically the only game I'm really really interested in, quadruple-A, must have.

Looks like this is a re-recording btw, not the exact same video from E-3. This time his co-player is a girl, and last time it was a guy. So, worth another watch, it's new.

---
Edit: Wait a minute... why does everything seem to happen in exactly the same way as the E3 demo, even with different participants? Either this is thing is the exact same action as E3 just with new voice-overs, or this demo is heeeeavily scripted. Either could be the case. Oh god, and they're reading the exact same dialogue script as the E3 demo.

The name of the other player is exactly the same as well as the E3 demo, which had two guys on stage pretending to be playing it in real time. Which means this is recorded play-through, not live at all.

In fact, what initially made me suspicious here on 2nd viewing is how smooth the viewpoint player's camera motions are. This guy is either incredible at keeping eyes on the target and turning corners smoothly, or else a real player was used to play these sections and then the camera viewpoint data was smoothed over by some techies to make it more visually appealing after the fact. I just know that's not how my playthoughs in any FPS look and it would take real effort to do such perfect corner turns and keep eyes on enemy like that.

I mean, this is a demo, I expect it to be a magic trick held together with rubber-bands and duct-tape, I'm really not knocking them there. Just, this isn't nearly as far along as they made it seems with this demo, apparently.

In fact, I'd expect this to be a lot like the Halo3 scenario--we aren't even going to see these sections of the demo in the final game in this form most likely.

Last edited by Anenome; 07-03-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
bub64882
Evil Dead

I had very little interest in this, and didn't understand the game at all. I'm far more interested in it now.

It seems similar to The Division in it's MMO-Lite approach to a shooter. Looking forward to both titles.

If your interested in the Division, here is a some information on that game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6W-SZkjC0
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
bean19
Butt Stallion

Oh, I'm super-excited about this, but I'm also into the Division, Infamous, and I'm hoping FF XV will be good.

@Anemone - Oh, yeah, it's pre-recorded and really obviously so too. I didn't know anyone thought that it was live at E3. Did they think the Division gameplay demo was live too? In a true MMOFPS, you won't get perfect areas that are setup for you and your buddies to take on fresh normally. You'll get to areas when there is another group of players there already or there 5 minutes before and half the mobs are dead or about to respawn on top of you. Either way, the team ahead of you will get the loot and probably kill you just for the xp and the luls.

Having said that, it still looks fun. I'm more excited about Destiny because I like sci-fi with aliens andneat powers more than the dystopian Tom Clancy/Michael Crichton near-future military-focused sci-fi, but both are exciting.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Doctorossi
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
If your interested in the Division, here is a some information on that game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6W-SZkjC0
Thanks for this!
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
@Anemone - Oh, yeah, it's pre-recorded and really obviously so too. I didn't know anyone thought that it was live at E3.
Oh I dunno, maybe it was the two guys standing on stage with PS4 controllers in their hands! I say it's bad manners to present something as live when it's clearly not. I mean, E3, you can't take a chance on a hiccup happening in a live demo--so don't do a live demo! But worse than showing a recording, don't fake a live demo.

Quote:
In a true MMOFPS, you won't get perfect areas that are setup for you and your buddies to take on fresh normally.
You can actually, if the game supports something like WoW's phased area design. People there the first time would be entering a phased instance that others around them can't see nor enter, a fresh area. I actually loved the beauty and simplicity of that system in WoW, even though I really only got a taste of it.

Quote:
You'll get to areas when there is another group of players there already or there 5 minutes before and half the mobs are dead or about to respawn on top of you. Either way, the team ahead of you will get the loot and probably kill you just for the xp and the luls.
So, ie: the wall instance you see in the demo could be just that, a live-swapped in fresh instance to avoid all the above.

It's these techs that, till now, made an MMOFPS hard to contemplate technically.

Quote:
Having said that, it still looks fun. I'm more excited about Destiny because I like sci-fi with aliens andneat powers more than the dystopian Tom Clancy/Michael Crichton near-future military-focused sci-fi, but both are exciting.
This has a dystopian premise too. Opening shot is a freeway with cars and bodies and rogue AI machines.

Clearly a suggestion of both uncontrolled AI run amok and possibly a nuclear bomb or perhaps plague causing the mass freeway disaster.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
TUT
Evil Dead

Voice acting between man and woman is like a Sunday stroll. The play reminds me of Borderlands, which is a good thing.
TUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
3Suns
Evil Dead

One thing you have to remember about Bungie "demos" is that, at least in their Halo days, they showed geometry and gameplay that was designed specific for the demo. For both Halo: CE and Halo 2, I was bitterly disappointed in the final product after the awesome MacWorld demo (1999) and the E3 demos respectively. In fact, I didn't even bother finishing Halo 2 SP. The MP was stellar, but the campaign/level design was nothing like I thought I had been led to believe. After that, I only bought Halo 3 because my friends all wanted to play.

I am very much looking forward to The Division, and Ubisoft generally delivers what and when they promise.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
AboveAvgCharles
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Suns View Post
Ubisoft generally delivers what and when they promise.
Just like Assassin's Creed III!

In all seriousness, though, I really don't care if this is scripted. It's a sizzle reel, of course they're going to show it in the best possible light. I have enough faith in Bungie to expect the final product to be closer to this demo than Aliens: Colonial Marines was to theirs.
AboveAvgCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
AboveAvgCharles
Evil Dead

Also:

"This is my rocket launcher. It was raised by wolves!"

I lol'd.
AboveAvgCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
This has a dystopian premise too. Opening shot is a freeway with cars and bodies and rogue AI machines.

Clearly a suggestion of both uncontrolled AI run amok and possibly a nuclear bomb or perhaps plague causing the mass freeway disaster.
Looking at the skeleton in the car you get the impression someone shot them in the head. I would say it's more surprise attacked devastated civilization and the current game is set many decades later.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Looking at the skeleton in the car you get the impression someone shot them in the head. I would say it's more surprise attacked devastated civilization and the current game is set many decades later.
Quite possibly. Perhaps the suggestion of the marauding robots is a clue to the car and skeleton.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Titanfall and The Divison look far more interesting, but that's my two cents.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
gravlax
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Suns View Post
The MP was stellar, but the campaign/level design was nothing like I thought I had been led to believe.
hopefully Bungie's level design can move on from simple & symmetrical days of Halo.
gravlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Nachokoolaid
Soul Reaper

This game is probably about seventh or eighth on my list of wanted games. I might check it out down the road, but it didn't grab me like HALO originally did.
Nachokoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
wildcard
Dread Lord

I was really excited for this... but that voice acting.
yeah most likely I'll still get this but Titan Fall and The Division look more appealing to me. If they could recapture the magic that was halo. Ah to have hope is a good thing I think.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Oh I dunno, maybe it was the two guys standing on stage with PS4 controllers in their hands! I say it's bad manners to present something as live when it's clearly not.
It's not just bad manners. It's deceptive. . . but the fake "live demo" is so often done at E3 that I'm just used to it. They are always so obvious that it doesn't FEEL like deception to me, but instead is a "perfect" walkthrough. . . and I don't mind that.

Quote:
You can actually, if the game supports something like WoW's phased area design.
Yeah, and that would actually be really cool. Good thought. I'd still want to run into other groups, but areas that are supposed to be PvE could work that way.

Quote:
Yeah. Definitely, I didn't miss that. I was just trying to describe the two similar settings. . . You know what I mean though. . . the difference between the settings is that one has aliens and pew-pew powers and the other has cool modern and theoretical military gadgets/weapons.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Okay, to be fair to the dev team, after looking at their Youtube page, it's clear to me the reason they did it voiceover style was so they could post the video in multiple languages, which kinda necessitates the approach they took:

http://www.youtube.com/user/destinygame/videos

---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19
It's not just bad manners. It's deceptive. . . but the fake "live demo" is so often done at E3 that I'm just used to it. They are always so obvious that it doesn't FEEL like deception to me, but instead is a "perfect" walkthrough. . . and I don't mind that.
I think they mean it to be taken much like a magician sawing his assistant in half. Everyone knows they're being fooled that way, so it's okay. No one freaks out when he takes the chainsaw to the box.

Quote:
Yeah. Definitely, I didn't miss that. I was just trying to describe the two similar settings. . . You know what I mean though. . . the difference between the settings is that one has aliens and pew-pew powers and the other has cool modern and theoretical military gadgets/weapons.
I'm just happy that scifi is back in vogue. We had to suffer through actually some pretty good WWII reboot shooters, the MoH series that was decent, taking advantage of the changes in technology, then the narrative kept advancing into more and more modern and in-the-news wars, and finally the big guys are taking scifi into serious territory.

I don't mean Halo, Halo was campy as all get-out. Aliens making stupid jokes and cutsey voices even. Destiny looks to me more like sober, gritty scifi locations, settings, and tone, and I am loving every second of it.

Similarly, Titan Fall by the Respawn crew, another look at future combat.

I just wish that they'd update the concept of the gun itself. Something we haven't seen before--please. Not metal shooting junk. Not necessarily lasers or blasters. How about something like the gravity gun from that one awesome manga... can't recall the name. Anyway, that's one of the great orignal guns of literature to my mind.

In a world where energy is far cheaper and more available than it is to us now, I doubt we'll still be using something so droll as gunpowder and lead.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
is that supposed to be next gen graphics? they look dated, gameplay is stale.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activision, bungie, destiny