Last post by Meusli
Today 01:05 PM
2 Replies, 383 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Anenome
Autarchist

Steve Ballmer Replaces Don Mattrick As Xbox One Chief

Guess who's taking over the Xbox division?

Quote:
"While Don Mattrick leaves Microsoft to work at Zynga, Steve Ballmer announces that, from now on, he will be directly in charge of the Xbox One division as quoted: 'Don's directs will report to me and will continue to drive the day-to-day business as a team, particularly focused on shipping Xbox One this holiday.'"
(via Slashdot)

Remember this? We in trouble >_>
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

We shall see... . I hope he does well and let's his team, within reason, direct and control how the future of the new console forms.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

ROFLL that picture cracks me up!
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
bub64882
Evil Dead

I did not appreciate the depths of the man's insanity. Thanks for the video reminder.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
ROFLL that picture cracks me up!
If I was Dr. Evil I would be pissed about having my image associated with that douche nozzle Ballmer!
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
If I was Dr. Evil I would be pissed about having my image associated with that douche nozzle Ballmer!
The truth. Balmer is a tool.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
vallor
Subscriber

Wow... that's a whole business unit that spans more that Xbox One and the game studios. I wonder if Steve-o is up to the task of actually managing anything... he hasn't done well with the company so who knows how he'll do.

If he does well maybe the board will make it a permanent demotion and bring in someone decent for CEO.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
gojira
Evil Dead

I'm calling "doomed" now. We'll have to see, but I don't see how this is indicative of a lot of confidence in the existing team. It seems if MS saw fit to put Ballmer directly in charge they might feel the department is not being well run.

I don't know if the X1 itself is doomed or several executives, but something's going to happen over there, that's for sure.
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Pluvious
Evil Dead

I would bet this is temporary as they scramble to find someone. To soon to call IMHO.
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Echoing others - that picture is amazing!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Maybe even Microshit knows they fucked up and are in a panic switching around management. Hopefully no one thinks of this as a good thing since Mattrick is gone. The blame does not lay solely on him for this embarrassment. Now with someone like Ballmer at the lead it should be yet another sign they don't really give a damn about games and just want to push their gimmicks. Ballmer is practically just a con artist who can sell horse shit to anyone in a suit.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

Ballmer's sole credential for heading Microsoft is that he was Bill Gates's college roommate.

No joke.

He's a dumb jock essentially, right place, right time. Friends with Bill. College-buddy nepotism in a sense.

I'm sure Mattrick ran Xbox division like his private fiefdom and had made everyone kowtow to him, removing potential rivals and the like. Usually what has happened when you don't have an immediate successor in place, an obvious guy to take over.

Let's hope they hire an actual game player, not a suit.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Maybe even Microshit knows they fucked up and are in a panic switching around management.
This. And the rest of what you said. And the Titanic. And deck chairs. And a sinking Xbone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
We had this talk. Blueseed launches in 2014.
I intend to [move]. 2014 asshole.
Time is a-wastin', AnenoBob from Baghdad!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

From all the great quotes I have read from Ballmer, he sounds like a complete imbecile, and I have always found it hilarious that he runs MS. It is fitting that he takes over the XBox division and craps all over it.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Blackfrost
Squire

W!T!F!.......Microsoft has got to be spiralling across all of it's division at the news of this
Blackfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Who the fuck is this guy?
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfrost View Post
W!T!F!.......Microsoft has got to be spiralling across all of it's division at the news of this
Kazuo Hirai now runs Sony... so it's kinda like the opposite happened there :P The gamer CEO took over the company.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #18
Arnold Darkshner
Reaper

It is fairly obvious that MS is just plain desperate. Windows 8 is a failure, Windows Phone is a failure, Office dominance is being eroded by Google Apps (and other open doc software), IE has dropped massively in terms of marketshare. The Xbox division is the last 'winning' part of the MS empire, if it goes down MS will truly be headed for obscurity. Balmer has to step in and make sure it works, or he's history.
Arnold Darkshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Darkshner View Post
It is fairly obvious that MS is just plain desperate. Windows 8 is a failure, Windows Phone is a failure, Office dominance is being eroded by Google Apps (and other open doc software), IE has dropped massively in terms of marketshare. The Xbox division is the last 'winning' part of the MS empire, if it goes down MS will truly be headed for obscurity. Balmer has to step in and make sure it works, or he's history.
1. Windows 8 isn't losing any market-share. It isn't getting people to upgrade on their own, but it's still the new OS for new PCs, so it will take over eventually. Also, messing with the Start screen that has replaced the Start Bar is really a minor annoyance. I was expecting it to be a big deal, but it's actually kind of cool now that I've put all the apps that I want into it and removed all the crap I don't want. It's basically a start bar that uses the whole screen. From people's complaints, I thought it would be a huge annoyance, but it's actually really easy to set it up to be useful.

2. You're right that they are losing market-share in every other department. That's bad, but they aren't losing profitability yet, and in the software market, that's what you have to look at. There are going to be times when the market shifts or is disrupted by competitors and their response to that will be what matters long-term.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Ballmer's sole credential for heading Microsoft is that he was Bill Gates's college roommate.

No joke.

He's a dumb jock essentially, right place, right time. Friends with Bill. College-buddy nepotism in a sense.

I'm sure Mattrick ran Xbox division like his private fiefdom and had made everyone kowtow to him, removing potential rivals and the like. Usually what has happened when you don't have an immediate successor in place, an obvious guy to take over.

Let's hope they hire an actual game player, not a suit.
So they were like Reed Richards and Ben Grimm? That's actually kind of cool!
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, steve ballmer, xbox one