Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 09:22 PM
5 Replies, 493 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Xbox Live Ultimate Game Sale Day 1

Today is Day 1 of the Xbox Live Ultimate Game Sale. The bigger deals of the day include

Borderlands 2 for $9.99
Far Cry 3 for $19.99
Max Payne 3 for $9.99

There is also other various games on the cheap that you can download for a limited time as well.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Steam-like sales from Microsoft? They screwed up worse at E3 than I thought. In-fact I called it when I said the only way Microsoft could still beat Sony is by undercutting them if Microsoft really wanted to play dirty pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

They've been having decent sales periodically. Good to see them keeping it up.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

What's next? Nintendo embraces mature ratings?

Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

^Sounds good to me.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
grognard66
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Steam-like sales from Microsoft? They screwed up worse at E3 than I thought. In-fact I called it when I said the only way Microsoft could still beat Sony is by undercutting them if Microsoft really wanted to play dirty pool.
Careful, your fanboy is showing. One of the specific benefits MS offered for their original DRM strategy is that it would allow them to have Steam-like sales because all purchases would then essentially be digital. Publishers don't go along with these sales unless they're digital, so there was a logic behind their strategy.

This has nothing to do with E3 or the One, just an evolving digital strategy as both MS and Sony start experimenting with different pricing models.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognard66 View Post
Careful, your fanboy is showing. One of the specific benefits MS offered for their original DRM strategy is that it would allow them to have Steam-like sales because all purchases would then essentially be digital. Publishers don't go along with these sales unless they're digital, so there was a logic behind their strategy.

This has nothing to do with E3 or the One, just an evolving digital strategy as both MS and Sony start experimenting with different pricing models.
How about a simple "I told you so" then?

The masses are too fickle and aren't worth the gamble until after the systems are launched and install base established so real data can back up the claim to "experiment" or not with the prices. Since we have not reached that point yet, my point that this is a reaction to E3 still stands.
Quote:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Steam has a sale, people are happy.

Msoft has a sale, people bitch.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
Steam has a sale, people are happy.

Msoft has a sale, people bitch.
Microsoft is having a sale on games that won't transfer to their new system, will at best have a multiplayer following for a few more months, and will inevitably be lost once they decide to shut down servers.

How is that like steam sale?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
MS has regularly had sales. Seeing as you work in retail you should be aware that a lot of vendors have sales around holidays.

MS is undercutting Sony by selling you discounted games on their soon to be old system? Selling you games that don't transfer to the Xbox One is undercutting Sony? Claiming that a sale around a large holiday is a reaction to E3 is foolish.

Doing a simple search at Major Nelson's blog for "Ultimate Game Sale" produces other similar sales that occurred prior to E3. Simply put your theory is false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome
It [DDoS] may be illegal, but should it be? Where's the actual damage?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Fair enough and hats off to Microsoft for finally joining the party...

This IMO is the biggest change in philosophy Microsoft have demonstrated in decades.
They hold software and hence its perceived value much higher than most other companies so to "devalue" it must be giving them sleepless nights. But like all their other questionable policies they simply looked uncompetitive so what choice did they have.

Seems like Microsoft have been really genuinely shaken, I suppose looking into the Abyss resulted in a moment of clarity.

With a reputation in tatters with many gamers and even the main stream media, only your hard core die hard Microsoft fans are still on board so it's going to have to be a massive charm offensive to win back customers.

See how it goes long term but this is Microsoft were talking about here and with the shit they just tried to pull well lets not get too excited... start of a long road.. who knows like Steam they may even find profits improve during sales.. who would have thought that eh?
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
MS has regularly had sales. Seeing as you work in retail you should be aware that a lot of vendors have sales around holidays.
LOL the 4th of July a big shopping holiday for video games huh?

You know the one, it's that holiday right in the middle of the summer when kids are outside having fun, at camp, working summer jobs.
Quote:
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
Microsoft is having a sale on games that won't transfer to their new system, will at best have a multiplayer following for a few more months, and will inevitably be lost once they decide to shut down servers.

Its not like the 360 is dying in November. The PS2 for years sold better than the PS3. Plus you have the time between when the casual people don't make the jump. Early adopters you have a case for. But not everyone is involved in that. Some people wait a year, two years before making the purchase.

So really the 360 has that long of a life cycle and to give games on the cheap is nice.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Everyone should buy Divinity II for $5. Everyone. Most underrated game of this generation. Protip: Make sure you watch out for items hidden in the rafters of buildings.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post

Exactly.

Never did Microsoft mention they would ever have sales. They only specified that they would be re-selling games for MSRP.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
LOL the 4th of July a big shopping holiday for video games huh?

You know the one, it's that holiday right in the middle of the summer when kids are outside having fun, at camp, working summer jobs.
Ah I forgot that kids don't play games in the summer and of course only kids are the only ones playing games... Avg gamer in their 30s.... I guess you can't play video games if you're working a summer job either?

It's not like you're in your mid 30s and a gamer yourself right Lock?

Amazon 4th of July sale oddly enough has a lot of electronics with it or you can use your search engine of choice to see that Steam has had 4th of July sales in the past.

So being as the 4th is a national holiday where many people get the day off work it's a good way to get them into stores and not just to buy grills/hamburgers.
Quote:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Pluvious
Evil Dead

Now that I know the games won't transfer to the next console...why would I buy any game at any price at this point? Too little to late ***.
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post
Now that I know the games won't transfer to the next console...why would I buy any game at any price at this point? Too little to late ***.
This. No Backwards Compatability, meaning these games have about a six month lifespan at best. I'd buy it on Steam where I can safely play it on my next PC, but I won't be buying anything on Live again (until and IF I get a Xbone).
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post
Probably because people want to play the game.... now. People didn't seem too upset to line up to buy "The Last of Us", complete with it's online pass at $60 even though the new systems are set to come out Nov/Dec.

So while you may feel that way (as I am sure others do as well) it seems that plenty of people are more than happy to buy this console generation's titles at full price. So why would a sale on some titles be bad?
Quote:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Probably because people want to play the game.... now. People didn't seem too upset to line up to buy "The Last of Us", complete with it's online pass at $60 even though the new systems are set to come out Nov/Dec.

So while you may feel that way (as I am sure others do as well) it seems that plenty of people are more than happy to buy this console generation's titles at full price. So why would a sale on some titles be bad?
Because apparently the sentiment is that its MSoft and nothing they do is right. That has been the jest I have been getting from everyone.

People wanted MSoft to change their policies, it happened, and made fun of it.
People wanted MSoft to prove they have sales and what not to justify the means of going digital, and over the course of the past year they have been doing that, but again it isn't good enough.

It amazes me how much blind hate there is. Yes I get it, MSoft hurt a lot of peoples feelings. Its not like they are trying to win you back. They have sales all the time. Not to mention, these aren't all the games on sale. They have indie games, dlc, arcade games, other full release titles. Its virtually the same thing as a Steam sale, but yet, its MSoft, we all must hate it.

Tags
xbox 360