WWE 2K15 - 'Feel It'...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 04:17 PM
6 Replies, 685 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Cops Alerted To Shut Down Ouya "Presentation" at E3, Kind Of (Not Really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamebreakerTV
“OUYA game developers will be on-hand to demo their games to the public—yep, no credentials required!—so stop by and play some awesome new games with the people who created them! Invite friends, family — hell, invite anyone ‘cuz you’re ALL welcome to join us.”

The Ouya Park had the console on display in a lot across from E3 for anyone to check out. There was a banner directing the public to the site with displays of the games that the Ouya will have on offer.

Yesterday, the folks at Entertainment Software Association rented parking spaces in front of the Ouya setup. In order to block the public from noticing Ouya, they decided to park several semi trucks there. Then, the Ouya team outside of E3 rented their own spaces in front of the trucks to put up banners. Then, the police came.

You can imagine ESA reps stomping their feet and calling the cops to get rid of the rebel nuisance.

The calvary rode in on Segways specially equipped to bring down the E3 freeloaders. What they found was a group of people showing their new product with all the paperwork to legally do so. Those rascals at Ouya may win this round of the E3 standoff, but rest assured that the ESA has more tricks up their sleeve. *Cue maniacal laughter.
And from another source;

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Soon after, the LAPD showed up at the lot and asked to see the company’s permits. After determining that everything was in order, the cops ultimately left without taking any further action.

Sources: GamebreakerTV Article & IGN Article

If you listen closely you can hear the sounds of facepalming as we try to see who will come out ahead.. It reminds me of an old Looney Tunes cartoon, who will be the one to paint the big black circle on the street, so the other guys fall into the "hole" even though it's just a painted circle ala the Road Runner & Wyle E Coyote.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

gd Rebel Alliance!
AkumaATR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
LoTECH
Evil Dead

You have to give Ouya credit for going to E3 in an extremely creative way.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTECH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Technically, they did spend more money on going than Nintendo.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Venkman
Evil Dead

I've got an Ouya. I wish I knew of the awesome new games they are talking about. It's kinda bleh to me.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Gathering of Developers did this in the 2000's. E3 doesn't like it because it is disruptive when someone is selling/serving alcohol to minors right across the street from the convention.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I've got an Ouya. I wish I knew of the awesome new games they are talking about. It's kinda bleh to me.
I've got one too. We can commiserate together.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

So the police ride Segways? Why?
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

They didn't want to actually attend E3, just set up shop directly outside of it? Seems like a douche move to me. Either attend proper or do your own thing somewhere else. Plenty of other spots across the US where E3 isn't currently being held. Were they unfairly barred from participating?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
They didn't want to actually attend E3, just set up shop directly outside of it? Seems like a douche move to me. Either attend proper or do your own thing somewhere else. Plenty of other spots across the US where E3 isn't currently being held. Were they unfairly barred from participating?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say renting a booth inside E3, for the duration of the convention can be quite expensive, even for the Indy developers. Now keep in mind its a product that was fully kickstarted thus far, so I doubt they could afford a booth.

They had legal permits to be there as well.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

No rape jokes, so...even they beat MS in my book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
We had this talk. Blueseed launches in 2014.
I intend to [move]. 2014 asshole.
Time is a-wastin', AnenoBob from Baghdad!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say renting a booth inside E3, for the duration of the convention can be quite expensive, even for the Indy developers. Now keep in mind its a product that was fully kickstarted thus far, so I doubt they could afford a booth.

They had legal permits to be there as well.
Yeah, I imagine it is expensive, and it sounds like they were totally legal. Their not being able to afford a booth was my first thought as well. It's still a total douche move. They wanted E3's foot traffic and advertisement, but they didn't want to pay for it like every other attendee. In almost any other context, that'd be stealing. At best it's shameless leeching, which doesn't do a whole lot for me in terms of respecting their brand/company. The ESA has every right to be pissed.

If they were specifically barred from E3 for some reason other than not being able to afford it, then maybe I could get behind them. Not being able to afford it though is just a reason to not go at all.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
inscribed
Evil Dead

E3 is a convention for games. They were showing off a gaming system in a spot they legally rented. But because the spot they rented wasn't inside the convention center, they are douchebags? That's some screwed-up logic. ESA can go fuck themselves.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
E3 is a convention for games. They were showing off a gaming system in a spot they legally rented. But because the spot they rented wasn't inside the convention center, they are douchebags? That's some screwed-up logic. ESA can go fuck themselves.
E3 is a trade show organized and paid for by the ESA. It's not a holiday or publicly observed ritual of some sort, it's a private event held by an organization at a specific location over a specific number of days. There are tons of similar gaming conventions throughout the year all over the world. Many companies even hold their own events.

Ouya, Inc isn't even based out of LA. They can show their hardware anytime, anywhere in the US--even at one of the slew of other shows that might be more affordable--but they chose that specific spot on that specific day. The only reason they held their event in that location, at that time, was to leech off another event that someone else organized and paid for. How is it screwed up logic to think they're douchebags for that? I'm not saying it should be illegal or anything; I certainly think they have the right to do what they're doing. I just don't think highly of them for doing it.

Same day, different spot? Cool. Same spot, different day? Fine. Same spot, same day? Weak. They're blatantly reaping off the ESA's efforts (and the funding provided by every other developer at the show) without chipping in in-kind. They wanted everything the ESA provided by hosting the event, but they wanted to receive the benefits without paying for them. You might not like the ESA in particular, but you'd have to regard the situation in the same light regardless of who's organizing it.

I just know if I'd gone through the trouble of setting up a convention and some guy devised a scheme to show something at my convention while refusing to actually be in the convention, I'd be annoyed...but whatever. What do I know.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
They can show their hardware anytime, anywhere in the US
Good of you to extend that freedom to them!

Here's the money shot:

Quote:
After determining that everything was in order, the cops ultimately left without taking any further action.
They had legal standing to be there. You like gates and gatekeepers? I'm not fond of them. They erect obstacles to innovation and free enterprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
We had this talk. Blueseed launches in 2014.
I intend to [move]. 2014 asshole.
Time is a-wastin', AnenoBob from Baghdad!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
They had legal standing to be there. You like gates and gatekeepers? I'm not fond of them. They erect obstacles to innovation and free enterprise.
I'mma make this extra big so you don't miss it the second time:

Quote:
I'm not saying it should be illegal or anything; I certainly think they have the right to do what they're doing. I just don't think highly of them for doing it.
People are legally capable of doing all sorts of things I don't really care for. The legality of their actions is entirely unrelated to my statements.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Same day, different spot? Cool. Same spot, different day? Fine. Same spot, same day? Weak. They're blatantly reaping off the ESA's efforts (and the funding provided by every other developer at the show) without chipping in in-kind. They wanted everything the ESA provided by hosting the event, but they wanted to receive the benefits without paying for them. You might not like the ESA in particular, but you'd have to regard the situation in the same light regardless of who's organizing it.
I think Ouya got more than they paid for. If the ESA had said nothing, nobody would even have known they were there. As it is, this is the Streisand effect in full force. Now I know Ouya was there and it sounds like ESA was kicking sand in the Ouya's face and trying to bully them.

Maybe they were hoping it would go down this way so, they get more word of mouth. Sounds like the ESA played right into their hands.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote