Last post by Terran
Today 07:24 PM
33 Replies, 3,013 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade Details

MMORPG has some new details about Behavior Interactive's Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade MMO, including its odd F2P model that only allows non-paying players to be Ork Boyz - at least five of which are required to kill a single Space Marine player.

Quote:
Starting right off the bat, fans should note that four races will be playable from the start, with the fifth being the AI-controlled Tyranids (who are there to keep everyone balanced throughout the battle). The four races available at launch (24 months from now, 18 months for Open Beta) will be the Space Marines (Dark Angels), Chaos Marines (Iron Warriors), The Eldar, and the Orks. Miguel told us straight away that the game will be available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 as a premium Free-to-Play MMORPG. The free race available to everyone will be the Orks. But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine. Behaviour expects that F2P members will always outnumber paid players and the Ork Boyz are their way of balancing F2P with paid members.
Read more
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

5 Ork Boyz to 1 Space Marine is kinda giving a lot of favor the Boyz when we're talkin Dark Angels.

Jus'sayin...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

That sounds clever. Let all the leeches be cannon fodder for us Space Marines.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Adain
Death Knight

interesting concept that works well with the IP, all depends on how the players react/use it
Adain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Fubl
Evil Dead

so what happens when you get a nice percentage say 25-35% paying they could just wipe out the other people unless they put some other controls in....
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Well... I'm assuming the % will balance out a little bit - ala battles between races, not just the orks.

Gotta say that it's a fine idea for the population requirement to field the ork race - dunno if all the kinds are iron'd out.

If there were an imbalance... maybe a warboss can show up to put sum fight in em & players can start using other variants (Nobs, Weird Boyz, Ard'boys... blah blah).

Dunno, but since I'm a 40k fan... I naturally want this to work. Guess we'll see. The dev doesn't have the best record as mentioned in the other thread.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
uroboros33
Reaper

Interesting approach to f2p and definitely a game worth watching. Too many details still unknown though before i get too excited.
uroboros33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
bub64882
Evil Dead

Immediately turned off, but it might work. I'd have to see it to see if it's worth "investing" in.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

I like the fact they are going with an asymetrical approach with regard to the Ork Boyz. Sticks with the fluff, and I think will make for a unique dynamic for the game if it actually holds up under actual play.

That said, I see some concerning problems...

I would certainly hope that as you play an Ork Boy and grow in experience and power, you more or less level up through the Ork Ranks going through the stages of Nob, Mega Nob, Warboss (again, in concert with the fluff), and that necessary ratio of Ork to Marine diminishes at each step, otherwise I can see a lot of Ork fans/players just saying "fuck this" and walking.

The other concern I have is, Marine, Eldar, and Chaos Marine players might feel a bit peeved at having to pay cash just to play their preferred faction vs. Ork players who get their content for free.

Lastly, just because I'm a Blood Raven fan... why only Dark Angels? I mean, I guess it's a nice change up from the expected Ultramarines, but I was hoping we'd have a selection. Maybe it'll be a micro transaction to buy Chapter skins...
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Erhardt View Post
I like the fact they are going with an asymetrical approach with regard to the Ork Boyz. Sticks with the fluff, and I think will make for a unique dynamic for the game if it actually holds up under actual play.

That said, I see some concerning problems...

I would certainly hope that as you play an Ork Boy and grow in experience and power, you more or less level up through the Ork Ranks going through the stages of Nob, Mega Nob, Warboss (again, in concert with the fluff), and that necessary ratio of Ork to Marine diminishes at each step, otherwise I can see a lot of Ork fans/players just saying "fuck this" and walking.

The other concern I have is, Marine, Eldar, and Chaos Marine players might feel a bit peeved at having to pay cash just to play their preferred faction vs. Ork players who get their content for free.

Lastly, just because I'm a Blood Raven fan... why only Dark Angels? I mean, I guess it's a nice change up from the expected Ultramarines, but I was hoping we'd have a selection. Maybe it'll be a micro transaction to buy Chapter skins...
Yeah, I've been thinking the Ork Boyz limitation could backfire. Nobody wants to play a weakling so most people will either pay to upgrade or quit in frustration, thereby negating the whole Ork horde aspect.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Very interesting model. I really hope that this works out, I am dying for a good 40k MMO.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Erhardt View Post
I'm going to go assume it's because the Blood Ravens have been in everything Relic did & they need a fresh approach.

If I have to listen to fucking Cyrus (FUCKING CYRUS! A SCOUT!) talk down to me or the other marines any more - I'm going to make him in 3DS max and torture the living shit out of the condescending prick.

I played through DOW2 Chaos Rising and specifically made sure that Cyrus accumulated all the Chaos so that he was a cunt in the end.

Dunno why the Blood Ravens didn't just say "Ok Cyrus... head on back there w/ the Imperial Guard where you're needed".

Seriously though - fuck Cyrus.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
I'm going to go assume it's because the Blood Ravens have been in everything Relic did & they need a fresh approach.

If I have to listen to fucking Cyrus (FUCKING CYRUS! A SCOUT!) talk down to me or the other marines any more - I'm going to make him in 3DS max and torture the living shit out of the condescending prick.

I played through DOW2 Chaos Rising and specifically made sure that Cyrus accumulated all the Chaos so that he was a cunt in the end.

Dunno why the Blood Ravens didn't just say "Ok Cyrus... head on back there w/ the Imperial Guard where you're needed".

Seriously though - fuck Cyrus.
This cracked me up...so true!
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternal crusade, warhammer