Today 12:09 AM
5 Replies, 489 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Official Teaser Trailer

Quote:
The second in a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" continues the adventure of the title character Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) as he journeys with the Wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and thirteen Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) on an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.
Click on the headline to watch the trailer.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

I just re-read The Hobbit recently and seriously... I barely recognize it in that trailer. I didn't care for the first movie last year and I don't feel too good about this one either.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

As if Legolas shield-surfing in LotR wasn't bad enough, now we have Tarzan Elves.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

AWESOME! Can not wait. Seeing it in a regular theatre though. None of that high FPS b.s. I like the illusion that they're in a real place, not a sound stage!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
automaton
Evil Dead

We got a better look at the dragon that I thought we would. I'm a Tolkien nut so I'm definitely looking forward to this. I know some people were dreadfully bored by the first Hobbit movie but I love every minute we spend in Middle Earth.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Haters gonna hate!

I thought it looked like a lot of fun. I enjoyed the first movie, so there is that. Need to buy it in 3D.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Whimbrel
Subhuman

Well, aside from the fact that I'm already getting old too quickly, this makes December seem too far away.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Haters gonna hate!

I thought it looked like a lot of fun. I enjoyed the first movie, so there is that. Need to buy it in 3D.
I was gonna say the same thing.

I LOVED the Hobbit and I am really looking forward to this film.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Haters gonna hate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
I was gonna say the same thing.

I LOVED the Hobbit and I am really looking forward to this film.
I can imagine enjoying these movies if you either hadn't read the book, or were able to put the book completely out of your mind while watching them. I don't even need them to follow the events in the book closely, but if the feeling isn't even remotely the same then I have a hard time getting into it.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
I can imagine enjoying these movies if you either hadn't read the book, or were able to put the book completely out of your mind while watching them. I don't even need them to follow the events in the book closely, but if the feeling isn't even remotely the same then I have a hard time getting into it.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.
Some people even enjoy a different take on a popular story and that is where I fall into. I realize in today's market that you will never get what you really hope for when it comes to Hollywood making a film adaption from a best selling novel.

But you are right, I never read the book. I grew up loving the Rankin-Bass Hobbit. I know if I decided to pick up the book today I would enjoy it for what it is and expect it to differ slightly from the movie adaptions.

I love what Peter Jackson has done with Tolkien's stories. I do not like what he had done with King Kong though.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

It's obvious Peter Jackson has given up on trying to be even remotely accurate to the books. That being said I'll watch it because I enjoyed the first and this is certainly better than the '70's Hobbit cartoon.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
I love what Peter Jackson has done with Tolkien's stories. I do not like what he had done with King Kong though.
I liked the LotR films. I even thought King Kong was fine. I was surprised how many people disliked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr
It's obvious Peter Jackson has given up on trying to be even remotely accurate to the books. That being said I'll watch it because I enjoyed the first and this is certainly better than the '70's Hobbit cartoon.
Can you believe I prefer the cheesy 70's cartoon over the film last year? By a lot actually.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
bub64882
Evil Dead

I thought the last film could have been edited down, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Gandalf and Galadriel were worth the ticket price whent hey shared the screen. Those two project more presence than all the other actors combined.

I'm looking forward to this! There's not much quality fantasy out there, so I'll take what I can get!
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Can you believe I prefer the cheesy 70's cartoon over the film last year? By a lot actually.
And tell me that this didn't enter your head while watching Jackson's Hobbit ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVgGADHg60

Heheheh. Those old songs kept popping up in my head throughout the movie.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

I still haven't seen the first Hobbit film, lol. I like what Jackson did with the trilogy, but I'm not thrilled with taking a single novel and turning it into three long feature films. Too much. Changing elements of the storyline doesn't bother me, though. It's difficult to precisely translate a book to film, and doing so doesn't always offer great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
We had this talk. Blueseed launches in 2014.
I intend to [move]. 2014 asshole.
Time is a-wastin', AnenoBob from Baghdad!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Antdude
Evil Dead

Not sure I understand Legolas's presence in the film, it's been a very long time since I read The Hobbit, so I can't remember if he appeared in it.

The first film wasn't bad, so I'm not opposed to seeing this one, especially if Evangeline Lily is in it, even with the pointy ears.
Antdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antdude View Post
Not sure I understand Legolas's presence in the film, it's been a very long time since I read The Hobbit, so I can't remember if he appeared in it.
He's the son of Thranduil (the Wood Elf king who imprisons the Dwarves) so I guess they just added him as fan service and a way to stretch one book into two more movies.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
I just re-read The Hobbit recently and seriously... I barely recognize it in that trailer. I didn't care for the first movie last year and I don't feel too good about this one either.
Yeah, I wish they weren't adding so much filler and extra scenes so as to do the story in two movies rather than three. This is really milking it. You do the whole LOTR series in three movies and that's really pushing it, but expanding the Hobbit into three? That's drawing it thin.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Yeah, I wish they weren't adding so much filler and extra scenes so as to do the story in two movies rather than three. This is really milking it. You do the whole LOTR series in three movies and that's really pushing it, but expanding the Hobbit into three? That's drawing it thin.
I was thinking the same thing in the beginning, but the first movie was spot-on for pacing. The LotR movies kinda dragged in places. Keeping Hobbit more focused on action kept you from noticing that they were drawing out the story.

Tags
the desolation of smaug, the hobbit