Last post by Emabulator
Today 04:42 PM
3 Replies, 436 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

From Software Promises Better PC Version of Dark Souls 2

From Software is hoping to make amends for their poor PC port of Dark Souls. They say the PC version of Dark Souls 2 will have much more care put into it and will launch simultaneously with its 360 and PS3 counterparts.

Quote:
"A lot of it was not very well done, sort of half-assed," Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura told Shacknews via translator (Tak Miyazoe), while promising a much better experience for the sequel.

"Yes, we will definitely put more priority on the PC. Last time, we started working on PC after the console version was complete," Tanimura explained. "This time, because we are considering the PC from the beginning, you can be sure there will be more care put into PC development."
Read more at Shacknews

Last edited by randir14; 04-11-2013 at 02:38 PM..
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Saying that they are "considering the PC from the beginning" does not equate to PC being the lead platform.

If that were true, this would be a very different looking game, (ie, better graphics).
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxE View Post
Saying that they are "considering the PC from the beginning" does not equate to PC being the lead platform.

If that were true, this would be a very different looking game, (ie, better graphics).
I saw another interview that suggested PC is the lead platform, but it was translated from Spanish so it could be a misunderstanding. I've edited the original story to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Q: The demo presented during the event ran on PC. This means there is also a PC version developed in-house?

A: The version shown before the interview actually ran on PC. If the first Dark Souls was adapted from consoles to PC, this time, it's the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which the warranty is adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is being developed simultaneously on different machines directly internally.

http://www.vandal.net/avances/pc/dark-souls-ii/20225/1
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I'll believe it when I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Half-assed you say? So everyone gets half their money back then?
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

They promised a good job on the first one. People paid money, do they just claim a mulligan and all is forgiven?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
They promised a good job on the first one. People paid money, do they just claim a mulligan and all is forgiven?
This is Dark Souls. The self-anointed "real" gamers who determine what gets labeled as a worthy game treat this thing with the same reverence the masses treat CoD... they'll buy it no matter what they say to the contrary regardless of the state of the game.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Still not buying this as long as it supports that piece of shit callled GFWL.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
I'm not sure it will. G4WL was shutdown in August 2012 and they hadn't been accepting new projects for a bit before that.

AFAIK only legacy products will be supported (and that only till mid/end of this year). This game will have to use something different (better!) than Games for Windows LIVE.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I'm not sure it will. G4WL was shutdown in August 2012 and they hadn't been accepting new projects for a bit before that.

AFAIK only legacy products will be supported (and that only till mid/end of this year). This game will have to use something different (better!) than Games for Windows LIVE.
I really do hope GFWL is completely dead and the team responsible that disastrous service fired, and anybody in favor of that piece of shit service should commit harakiri while jumping off a cliff landing head first.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
brandonjclark
Subscriber

If its a proper port I'll buy it. I've wanted to play this series for some time but the first port blew chunks from what I've heard.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
inscribed
Evil Dead

The first one sucked on PC because of GFWL. The other flaws were manageable, but there was no getting around that bullshit GFWL.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
The first one sucked on PC because of GFWL. The other flaws were manageable, but there was no getting around that bullshit GFWL.
You obviously have an axe to grind with GFWL, which was the least of the problems with Dark Souls.

Everyone had the fun of experiencing:
  1. Shitty Performance
  2. Gross game instability and crashes
  3. Straight ported art assets that could have been very much improved for the PC
  4. Terrible keyboard and mouse implementation
  5. List goes on and on
Very rarely: People had issues with GFWL.

I suggest their execution of GFWL integration was handled with the same "skill" as the rest of the product and you'd have seen the same problems regardless of what matchmaking/backend system they used. They just did a shitty job. But that wouldn't fit your narrative of "FROM WAS GREAT GFWL IS TO BLAME!" so ignore me.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
inscribed
Evil Dead

Please reread what I wrote. I said the other flaws were manageable. As in, there were patches and work arounds for the other flaws of the game. There was no work around for GFWL.

Has this been properly explained now? I know words can be hard to read, but please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
HA! That's the only reason I WOULD have bought it! It was never a POS, you were all just ignorant.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
Please reread what I wrote. I said the other flaws were manageable. As in, there were patches and work arounds for the other flaws of the game. There was no work around for GFWL.

Has this been properly explained now? I know words can be hard to read, but please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Random crashes and saved game corruption aren't exactly manageable... not getting an achievement (the most common Dark Souls complaint about GFWL) is something someone can live with. Especially when it's very probable the novice devs working on the project didn't implement the APIs correctly. But that's ok, I know once the hate glasses come on it's hard to see things objectively.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

After applying the community made patches to fix the visuals, the PC version looks pretty great. I only played a few hours of it so I never ran into any performance issues or crashes so I can't speak to those. So far I have not had any major issues with it.

The bar is so low for a port at this point that the dev doesnt have to do much to improve upon it.

All the vids of Dark Souls 2 on the consoles is hard to look at. The graphics are just really bad at this point on those platforms. They work if that is all you have, but if you can do better, it would be tough to go back.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This is Dark Souls. The self-anointed "real" gamers who determine what gets labeled as a worthy game treat this thing with the same reverence the masses treat CoD... they'll buy it no matter what they say to the contrary regardless of the state of the game.
Ah yes there are people that would rather have a game be played out for them as long as it looks pretty and it has explosions. Or any shooter! But on top of that let us be bitter and shit on the adventure "open" world game for no fucking reason!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

New engine, with focus on pc first. When they mention considering the pc from the beginning, they simply mean from the planning stages.

PC is said to run at 60fps while the consoles ports are aiming to do 30fps with no slowdowns like Blighttown.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark souls 2, from software