Last post by wunshot
Today 07:40 AM
5 Replies, 1,050 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Adam "Deal With It" Orth No Longer With Microsoft

According to this article on Game Informer Adam Orth is no longer with Microsft. This comes on the heels of his 'deal with it' defense of the rumors that the next Xbox will require an always online internet connection.

Quote:
Game Informer has learned from sources close to the matter that Orth is no longer with Microsoft. A call to Microsoft's main switchboard confirmed this fact. Our sources, who wish to remain anonymous, suggest that Orth resigned in the wake of last week's events. We haven't been able to confirm whether this was a voluntary or forced resignation.

Microsoft isn't commenting on the "always on" rumor or today's talk of a May 21 reveal for the console. We can't say for sure if Orth's "deal with it" approach is confirmation that users will need to be online (though with news emerging today of television integration, it's becoming more likely), but we can safely assume that his employer didn't appreciate him commenting on the matter.
Thanks, Ravijn.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Thou shalt not Tweet
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

My sources said he was fired the next morning. People who make Microsoft apologize for their actions don't last long and good luck getting another job with a big tech company after that mess.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. People who don't respect their customers don't deserve to have customers.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Natural selection at work. The guy earned his own career Darwin award.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I am dealing with it by selling my 360 and not buying their next console.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I am dealing with it by selling my 360 and not buying their next console.
Really?

You're going to sell your console, lose all the content on the hard drive and everything, over this?

If anything you could just refuse to buy new games for the current machine.

I mean, I can understand not buying the "always-on-Nextbox", since that's what bothers you, but what does selling your 360 solve?
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxE View Post
I mean, I can understand not buying the "always-on-Nextbox", since that's what bothers you, but what does selling your 360 solve?
First off Rumor, and more dots have been starting connect on this front.

The always on feature, is being tied to the cable tv aspect, not so much as to the playing games aspect. Dont be jumping to conclusions.

And to the guy selling his xbox, I shake my head at you. Over a guys tweets? Really? Tweets? A guy that creates games... not the guy creating the machine, the guy who creates games...

I suggest you think it thru.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
My sources said he was fired the next morning. People who make Microsoft apologize for their actions don't last long and good luck getting another job with a big tech company after that mess.
If your company was releasing an item with a controversial feature and one of your employees antagonized customers who were worried about the rumor, wouldn't you fire him?

I've worked for companies under NDA before and I'd NEVER Tweet about one of our products - especially a rumor about a controversial feature.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Really?

You're going to sell your console, lose all the content on the hard drive and everything, over this?

If anything you could just refuse to buy new games for the current machine.

Not just over this guys tweet. I don't use my 360 much anymore. I like my kinect but don't love it. I have only been useing it when I have company over and I would like to rearrange my living room which I could not do and still use kinect. I have been playing games on PC more and more of late.

Right now I am leaning towards PS4 but I think I am gonna build a new PC sometime this year and that is where I will do most of my gaming.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Not just over this guys tweet. I don't use my 360 much anymore. I like my kinect but don't love it. I have only been useing it when I have company over and I would like to rearrange my living room which I could not do and still use kinect. I have been playing games on PC more and more of late.

Right now I am leaning towards PS4 but I think I am gonna build a new PC sometime this year and that is where I will do most of my gaming.
Okay... so nothing to do with the post then?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
laggerific
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
The always on feature, is being tied to the cable tv aspect, not so much as to the playing games aspect. Dont be jumping to conclusions.
While this may be the case, I find that argument in the context of what Orth was saying to be disingenuous. You have to be connected to something to watch cable. I can't think of a time in which that hasn't been necessary. But, to watch a VHS or DVD or Bluray? I can be watching those in a mountain hovel powered only by a handcrank and a hamster wheel, and I can watch those. The same goes for most games these days, even Steam. I have an arcade cabinet where I play all steam games offline, as I don't want it to interfere with my main Steam gaming.

I think it's a logical leap to assert that he was referencing this one feature. This should easily be a minor feature of any console offering, and since most people still think of consoles as game machines, it's more logical to connect that twitter "discussion" to gaming.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

I still think the greatest irony with this story is that this person who's confessed love for everything Internet, who basically talked down to everyone who doesn't live in a tech hub like they're hillbillies, doesn't even comprehend the repercussions of running your mouth online today while in the position he was in (a representative of his company, no matter how you slice it).

What. a. dumbass.

AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Okay... so nothing to do with the post then?
Always on is a factor. I was a 360 guy this gen. I really like Forza and Fable. This guys tweet was pretty much confirmation of always on being on the next box. Sort of the last straw for me being done with XBoX.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:
... I think I am gonna build a new PC sometime this year and that is where I will do most of my gaming.
I keep hearing this a lot.
Hagetaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Well, it certainly seems like Sony is already winning the PR war for the NextGen.

Microsoft must be scrambling to put something good together... but they're burning goodwill fast...

And Nintendo is still trying to convince people that they will learn to love their tablet...

Suddenly, I almost want to become a PC guy...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
Azriel77
Evil Dead

I will probably not get the next xbox honestly. I rarely used my 360 this gen, I am a PC gamer first and just about everything good has ended up on the PC besides a few rare console exclusives and even they usually end up on the PS3 eventually. Money is tight and I will most likely get the ps4 (if even that) depending on what the actual specs and if there are any unwanted surprises. There are a lot of rumors flying about the 360 and just about all of them are negative. Considering some of the design choices they forced on users of windows 8, I am not so quick to disbelieve.
Azriel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
I keep hearing this a lot.
Because it is the correct platform for gaming. In particular if you are an adult and don't have your college friends to play co-op with you on the couch. Give me my office desk and a good internet connection any day.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Nobody will care about any of this when the next Xbox launches. All that will matter is what always matters: Content (software), price, features. If MS goes with always-online, they may lose a few customers over it, but they may also gain a bunch who want other non-gaming features which are coming to the forefront in the MS strategy.

Also, what a bunch of heartless people some of you are. The guy was an idiot online and made a mistake. I suppose his career should end as of now and he should burn in eternal career purgatory for his sins.

He's paid a huge price for it. I for one hope he lands on his feet, despite my disdain for his words. If you've never said something stupid, you must be mute.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Because it is the correct platform for gaming. In particular if you are an adult and don't have your college friends to play co-op with you on the couch. Give me my office desk and a good internet connection any day.
This perception is toxic...

"Its the correct platform...
FOR YOU! Not me, not everyone, YOU!

I find PC gaming annoying. I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day. The last thing I want to see when I get home is another desk to play and relax at. That isn't comfortable.

And this couch coop you talk about, lets be honest, most gaming is done solo with friends at their respected homes. I game with People cities away, and in several different states. All of which are friends.

And then you finish your post of
Give me my office desk and a good internet connection any day

Personal opinion. I dont want your desk, and my xbox has just as good of a connection the internet as your PC. So your Pro PC love can suck it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Also, what a bunch of heartless people some of you are. The guy was an idiot online and made a mistake. I suppose his career should end as of now and he should burn in eternal career purgatory for his sins.

He's paid a huge price for it. I for one hope he lands on his feet, despite my disdain for his words. If you've never said something stupid, you must be mute.
I've said plenty of stupid things but never gloated on a fucking social website with my name on it so that billions can see my posts while I work for a company that focus on secrecy and is rather harsh on fucking up pr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, xbox