Last post by Judas
Today 08:03 AM
9 Replies, 669 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Shadowrun Returns Coming This June, DLC and Mods Only Available on Steam

Hairbrained Schemes has confirmed the June release date for Shadowrun Returns, which hopefully means there won't be any further delays.

The update also contains a contentious bit of news. Although there will still be a DRM-free option for backers, the game will additionally be released on Steam and have integrated Steamworks. Any future DLC and community-created content will only be available for the Steam version, a revelation that has generated nearly 600 comments from angry people. Backers will still receive a Steam code, but they're mad that the DRM-free version will basically be pointless and force them to play on Steam if they want any extra content.

Quote:
After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.

So, we're happy to announce that all Backers will receive a Steam Key for the game and will be able to contribute and browse community-created content using Steam Workshop.

We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.

Now, that may prompt the question, “What about DRM-free?” To honor our original promise of a DRM-free version of the game, the Harebrained Account Website will also contain a downloadable version of Shadowrun Returns that does not include Steam integration. While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
BearSuitAttack
Dread Lord

I backed it and I'm fine with this decision. People need to stop crying about EVERY. LITTLE. THING.
BearSuitAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

I'll buy it on Steam.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Crimson
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearSuitAttack View Post
I backed it and I'm fine with this decision. People need to stop crying about EVERY. LITTLE. THING.
Agreed. FACT. The entire game and two city addons will be included and DRM free. That's exactly what they promised. I'm a backer and that amount of content certainly does not seem "pointless" to me. Allowing me to get a second, free copy of the game on Steam (where the extra work will be done to take advantage of Steam features) seems like a bonus to me.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Agreed. FACT. The entire game and two city addons will be included and DRM free. That's exactly what they promised. I'm a backer and that amount of content certainly does not seem "pointless" to me. Allowing me to get a second, free copy of the game on Steam (where the extra work will be done to take advantage of Steam features) seems like a bonus to me.
I agree with you, but I can see why some of these people are angry. However I've noticed a big sense of entitlement from some Kickstarter backers, even withdrawing pledges if one little thing doesn't go their way.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
laggerific
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
I agree with you, but I can see why some of these people are angry. However I've noticed a big sense of entitlement from some Kickstarter backers, even withdrawing pledges if one little thing doesn't go their way.
Yeah, to a certain extent the exhilaration of finally seeming to be heard can go to ones head. I've been working to temper my expectations, and just contributing enough to get the game cheap if its a dev I like. I'll do that until they prove to not align with what I enjoy...kinda like what I've been doing with EA.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I'm a backer, and I don't care...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Syl
Evil Dead

Using steam workshop is a GOOD THING for everyone when it comes to mod support.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
uroboros33
Soul Reaper

Unless they promised "all future content and community features will be DRM free," people need to stfu. They're honoring their agreement and taking advantage of the established infrastructure with steam to focus their time and energy on making the best game possible. It's not like they announced a publishing deal through EA and no DRM-free release... i mean c'mon people!
uroboros33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Quote:
THIS. A thousand times.

Backers are getting what they were promised, the way I'm reading it. If they want MORE, LATER, well, they're welcome to it. Via Steam. Which I would have been totally okay with if I'd backed this one myself (I would have, but my Kickstarter funding had to run out sometime... too many interesting projects for a finite wallet).
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
doyama
Dread Lord

Here's my take on Steamworks

I literally have no time for gaming. Maybe I get 1-2 hours in if I"m lucky. I once got into Skyrim modding and it was insane. Before Steamworks it was a patchwork of download stuff from Skyrim Nexus or other repos and pray it worked together.

Steamworks Workshop allows me to check subscribe and the mod is downloaded, installed and updated constantly. The Skyrim launcher also integrates well to ensure i can easily disable single mods without unsubscribing entirely. It's a damn god send as far as people like me who have little time are concerned. I NEED auto updates and auto patching. I have no desire to scrounge around every single update on a daily basis.

Here's the other thing, there's nothing 'magical' about the Steamworks Workshop. It just downloads and updates file. If you REALLY wanted to mod a game you could probably just download it off of Steam then put it on your 'drm free' version if you really really wanted. I'm sure some modders out of pure stupidity will make their mod 'drm free only' or other such nonsense. If they want to make their stuff more complicated, harder to find, and more difficult to update then that's their perogative. But don't expect me to celebrate that.
doyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Mods and stuff can still be available, just not via Steam's services. You'd have to manually update the stuff yourself. Which is how everyone used to do modding back in the day anyway. Hosting all these files costs money, Steam workshop can provide the service just fine, so for me it isn't an issue. And it really isn't an issue for people who want future content or mods either, they just have to make a bit of effort.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
Mr. Crowley
Death Knight

Quote:
I'm not a backer but I can understand their frustration. Do you really think they would have funded this if they knew the DRM free version was gimped? Doubt it.
Mr. Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

...Did you talk to the dead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
If women didn't have vaginas, men would hunt them with dogs. For sport.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
Mix-Master
Soul Reaper

I backed in the hope that it would turn up on steam. And my wish was fulfilled.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crowley View Post
I'm not a backer but I can understand their frustration. Do you really think they would have funded this if they knew the DRM free version was gimped? Doubt it.
IS IT gimped, though? The way I'm understanding this (and please correct me if I'm wrong), backers were promised X as DRM free. X is, in fact, coming out as DRM free. Later on, NEW content, not at all covered by the initial backing effort, will be through Steam. I'm not seeing a breach of contract here. Is there some aspect or angle I'm missing?
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Erhardt View Post
IS IT gimped, though? The way I'm understanding this (and please correct me if I'm wrong), backers were promised X as DRM free. X is, in fact, coming out as DRM free. Later on, NEW content, not at all covered by the initial backing effort, will be through Steam. I'm not seeing a breach of contract here. Is there some aspect or angle I'm missing?
Not a breach of contract but you have to admit it is kind of misleading. When people backed the game they were only told it would be DRM-free, not that some of the game content would only be available on a Steam version (and I assume that includes backer-funded content like the editor and mod support). Contrast that to another Kickstarter game, Wasteland 2, where InXile said from the beginning that the game will be available DRM-free but also available on Steam and Origin.

Another issue I've seen backers bring up is the Berlin city stretch goal. People who backed Shadowrun on Kickstarter get it for free, but after the Kickstarter ended Hairbrained Schemes revealed that Berlin would be a paid DLC for everyone else. Some backers were angry because they donated their money to make a better game for everyone, not as some kind of pre-order bonus. They assumed Berlin would be included as part of the base game.

Last edited by randir14; 04-11-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Sobran
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
Not a breach of contract but you have to admit it is kind of misleading. When people backed the game they were only told it would be DRM-free, not that some of the game content would only be available on a Steam version (and I assume that includes backer-funded content like the editor and mod support). Contrast that to another Kickstarter game, Wasteland 2, where InXile said from the beginning that the game will be available DRM-free but also available on Steam and Origin.

Another issue I've seen backers bring up is the Berlin city stretch goal. People who backed Shadowrun on Kickstarter get it for free, but after the Kickstarter ended Hairbrained Schemes revealed that Berlin would be a paid DLC for everyone else. Some backers were angry because they donated their money to make a better game for everyone, not as some kind of pre-order bonus. They assumed Berlin would be included as part of the base game.
What? Berlin is dlc? Man, fuck those guys. I was on their side until that point. The backers getting what they paid for and a release on Steam don't have to be mutually exclusive. The thing with Berlin is bullshit though. Nice to see an indie dev go the route of the big publisher. Damn it. I was planning on buying this since I wasn't able to support them at the time of the Kickstarter.

Psst. Harebrained. Charging extra for stuff you already made (and had funded) is shitty. I would've willingly paid for stuff you made later, unfunded by Kickstarter.
Sobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
bean19
Butt Stallion

@Sobran - I think backers get the DLC free as a reward for backing them.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
Sobran
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
@Sobran - I think backers get the DLC free as a reward for backing them.
They do. It looks like Berlin won't be ready at launch, so I guess it isn't quite the equivalent of on-disc dlc. Excuse my frothing mouth.
Sobran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shadowrun returns