Last post by Paranoia
Today 05:32 AM
4 Replies, 807 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Hackers Find Exploit in UPlay to get all Games Free

IGN is reporting that hackers have found a way to obtain every game on Ubisoft's Uplay for free:

Quote:
Hackers have cracked Ubisoft's uPlay PC download services, enabling them to download all of the publisher's games for free - including the unreleased Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

This explains how footage of the game has leaked online, and why the game itself is purportedly circulating illegally on torrent sites already. The Russian hackers have discovered an exploit that makes the uPlay service believe that you already have the game you're trying to download, enabling them to obtain it for free.
Read more
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

And here we sit and bitch about why games cost so much to consumers at the 60 dollar price point.

Here folks is one of the reasons.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Clancy
Dread Lord

Well, it IS called U-Play, not U-Buy-then-U-Play!
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
And here we sit and bitch about why games cost so much to consumers at the 60 dollar price point.

If they were reasonably priced and offered without all the strings attached, perhaps no one would of bothered trying to hack it. Proof -> Steam.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
If they were reasonably priced and offered without all the strings attached, perhaps no one would of bothered trying to hack it. Proof -> Steam.
Jesus. Some people just have no clue...
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

An illegal download != a lost sale.

Still, this is bad. They should have just stuck with steam, at the very least they'd push the liability off on someone else if something like this were to happen.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Cutter99
Evil Dead

Quote:

Wait, what? You know what Ubisoft could do if they're trying to cut costs? How about they give up on their weird DRM schemes that require constant server checks. Or maybe scrap the thinly disguised "UPlay" system that tries to convince you their extra security gate is a game that provides happy points redeemable for valuable prizes!

Every game gets hacked - but when it's easier to load up a stolen copy than it is the legally purchased one: that publisher is actively encouraging piracy.
Cutter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter99 View Post
Wait, what? You know what Ubisoft could do if they're trying to cut costs? How about they give up on their weird DRM schemes that require constant server checks. Or maybe scrap the thinly disguised "UPlay" system that tries to convince you their extra security gate is a game that provides happy points redeemable for valuable prizes!

Every game gets hacked - but when it's easier to load up a stolen copy than it is the legally purchased one: that publisher is actively encouraging piracy.
Again, some people dont get it.

Second, they did drop all their DRM... you should actually go google that for a second... wait, that might be too hard here you go

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubisoft+drops+drm
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
You act like the games on Steam can't be illegally downloaded...

Sure, they can't be illegally downloaded like what happened to Ubisoft... yet. But you can still find all of the games on steam on sites to illegally download. So I guess your statement is one so pointless, that you should have never made it in the first place?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

So they steal and boast about it.. I see no benefit for anyone only negatives.
TBH I've personally found Uplay to be ok really with a pretty nice achievement system.

TBH I think games are seriously overpriced especially on Uplay / Origin and many people
simply can't afford to pay so much. I rarely buy games up front these days .. like many
I wait a few weeks and pick em up half price or better.. yes I can afford the full price
but seriously for the sake of a couple of weeks I can double my game purchases for the year... no brainer.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Bought Far Cry 3 in December off of Steam. I was constantly annoyed by the UPlay launcher since I was using a controller with Big Picture mode... minor gripe.

Glad they dropped the DRM. I've had a few games in the past that were rendered unplayable. (The Suffering 2)

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

"Hackers Find Exploit in UPlay to get all Games Free"
Um yeah you can pretty much get all the games "free" on pc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
laggerific
Evil Dead

Quote:

Sure, they can't be illegally downloaded like what happened to Ubisoft... yet. But you can still find all of the games on steam on sites to illegally download. So I guess your statement is one so pointless, that you should have never made it in the first place?
Read you first comment on the thread, though, and explain why this means we can't have nice things when anyone could already grab these files from other sources already.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:

The point isn't to prevent all possible illegal activity ever.... that's impossible. The point is to offer games at a reasonable price and with the convenience and customer support to justify the price over illegally downloading. Steam offers all the proof required. Can you pirate a game on Steam? Most likely. Do many people really have a reason to bother with it? No.

Please let me know if this is still too complicated of a concept.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
bub64882
Evil Dead

Cars are overpriced, and often, of shoddy quality. Doesn't justify stealing them, and you don't see anyone in their right mind making that argument. Gas is ridiculously overpriced, and I don't like supporting a dependance on the middle east, but I don't pump and run.

Am I just a teeny bit glad to see U-Play get knocked down? Yeah, a little...And the sneak peaks of Farcry Blood Dragon will probably do more to boost sales than any approved press release ever could. Kinda wish it had been Origin, though, just to tweak EA a little more.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

As far as I know this has been patched but for those who are curious or don't believe.

Quote:
Download this ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will also need notepad and a UPlay account with the client previously set to start in offline mode.

What you do:
Create a batch file (uplay.bat) in the same location as the UPlay executable with the text "uplay.exe -upc_uplay_id 205" (no quotes)
Now create another batch file (ownership.bat) in the same folder as ownership4.exe with the text "ownership4.exe 205" (again, no quotes)
Open ownership4.exe, then open ownership.bat, then open uplay.bat. It should show Blood Dragon. Click 'go online' and download it.

Last edited by Suicidal ShiZuru; 04-09-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
The point isn't to prevent all possible illegal activity ever.... that's impossible. The point is to offer games at a reasonable price and with the convenience and customer support to justify the price over illegally downloading. Steam offers all the proof required. Can you pirate a game on Steam? Most likely. Do many people really have a reason to bother with it? No.
Not sure if you're aware, but Ubi plays very nice with Steam. They advertise the Steam storefront as a means of purchasing their games inside the UPlay client itself, and Ubi games very frequently have solid Steam sales. Even recently when Trackmania 2 made it to Steam (originally not using Steam was a design decision with Maniaplanet), older game keys were able to register in the Steam client.

Hacking UPlay is sorta like hacking a portion of the Steam store. Pretty sure this has happened to Steam before too though, hackers getting access to the entire library for a limited period of time. Has nothing to do with pricing, just with having a digital storefront. It's just another mountain to climb.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Uplay is easily the worst of all the digital platforms. The clunky interface, stuck open window, cheesy game unlocks through "achievements" and egregiously annoying in game pop ups as well as how most games force you to keep in game overlays active.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Uplay is easily the worst of all the digital platforms. The clunky interface, stuck open window, cheesy game unlocks through "achievements" and egregiously annoying in game pop ups as well as how most games force you to keep in game overlays active.
You can disable the in-game popups and the overlay. Think you're stuck with the rest though.

heh Think I'd still put my money on GfWL being the worst, but they all find their own creative ways to be annoying.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

That will teach them to use DRM!

Probably not, all it will teach them is to abandon PC games entirely in favor for consoles.

Tags
pc hate, ubisoft, uplay