Last post by Anenome
Yesterday 08:55 PM
30 Replies, 3,070 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Ouya Defends Themselves

In response to the recent negative reviews, Ouya is claiming most problems are due to the early state of the hardware and that the final version will be much better.

Quote:
Ouya has responded to a wave of negative reviews after a handful of sites got their hands on early consoles sent out to Kickstarter backers. The company has promised that said negative issues will have been remedied by the time the final console builds hit retailers on June 4.
Read more at VG 24/7
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Constructive criticism may save them. BRING FORTH THE WHITE KNIGHTS/TROLLS. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

I'm interested in seeing how their production consoles end up being "improved" compared to the early one's that reviewed negative reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx
Steam has always been 100% voluntary. Origin.... not so much.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

So everything they sent to the backers, who are responsible for this even being able to happen, were unfinished prototypes? laughingwhores.jpeg... Hilarious though considering most of the issues don't even have anything to do with the hardware. Will they magically have a catalog of games that don't suck in two months?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Constructive criticism may save them. BRING FORTH THE WHITE KNIGHTS/TROLLS. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
So that Democracy may live on, but for a bit longer!!! Stand!! Men of the west!!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

That is one of the more disturbing things I've read about the OUYA. Does that mean that in a few weeks when I get my system that the hardware will be crap compared to what you can buy on the shelf at Target a few months later?

How fair is that to the people who backed the project? I might have to contact someone and get some clarification. Unless they plan to send me hardware, then send it to me again I can see being more than a little pissed off by this news.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
vallor
Subscriber

Glad I didn't back this if the backers aren't actually getting final hardware.

If true it's a big crock of shit.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
inscribed
Evil Dead

I'm holding out hope this will be a cheap media center PC. I'd love to find a cheap, off the shelf solution.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Paranoia
Evil Dead

har har...they better make sure it is about software being not ready. If its hardware...well backers are screwed.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That is one of the more disturbing things I've read about the OUYA. Does that mean that in a few weeks when I get my system that the hardware will be crap compared to what you can buy on the shelf at Target a few months later?

How fair is that to the people who backed the project? I might have to contact someone and get some clarification. Unless they plan to send me hardware, then send it to me again I can see being more than a little pissed off by this news.
Are the problems software or hardware based?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:

The hardware is already crap now compared to top end smartphones.

Which, coincidentally, are going to be crap compared to the smartphone chipsets released next year.

That said, my smartphone would have cost something like $600 without a contract and the Ouya is $99.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Coldeath
Evil Dead

Quote:
How fair is that to the people who backed the project?
Rant.....
How fair is it that i will have to see people bitch bought this ?
How Fair it that that i have to deal with people thinking this was a good idea.
How fair is life ?

Rave
Well its easy to dev for but, i still have the negative view that the majority of android game development is dedicated to touch screen so, i feer bad ports and
bad design mentality
Coldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Coldeath
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
I'm holding out hope this will be a cheap media center PC. I'd love to find a cheap, off the shelf solution.
TBO (as much as it pains me to say) the Ouya will be a good media center(well a relay hub) and if you belevel there hype then you should be able to throw on a HDD/SSD stack and you should be golden.
Coldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
sixtyfps
Evil Dead

So long as these corporate-Ouya platitudes become manifest as tangible olive branches, I'm glad for the grilling. (It's smoky sweet!)

That input-lag issue does worry me, though. It had damn well better be growing pains if they expect me to lay down money for games.

They'd also better make it less likely I'll accidentally spend money on things I don't want. I don't want any ill(well?)-timed nag dialogs getting the better of me!

Wanting to be taken seriously as a gamer is like wanting to be taken "dessertly" as a potato. —LoTECH
sixtyfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Again--Are the problems software or hardware based? If they are software based and the backers got the soft-launch, to be updated units, easily fixed and no harm or foul. If they are hardware issues, well--bad news. No one should have any illusion a small team could produce a machine as powerful as a Samsung Galaxy III-IV, with or without a phone's other features, for a C-note. Since I do not think they claimed they would, I posit that anyone surprised fooled their common sense somehow. Of course, backing such a silly thing in the first place means that occurred, as well.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

tbh, I think it was unfair to peg a score on this console before launch day.
Reason being, Metacritic takes the first score given and it can't be changed.
Clearly they are giving payers an early peek at the platform to make it easy to dev apps for.
Once this goes live a screw-ouya score is going to impact the real score of the system.
They could still ship a poop, but at least give them a chance to ship it before you slap a kill-ya score on it.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:

The hardware is locked. They've said they'll do annual refreshes though. I'd suggest a refresh every two years vs. every year. Every year is too often IMO.

They meant software patch but should have clarified.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

A fool and his money are soon parted. Or so the saying goes.
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
sixtyfps
Evil Dead

I'm convinced naysayers either don't dig XBMC or already have a houseful of dope hardware that runs like melted butter.

Wanting to be taken seriously as a gamer is like wanting to be taken "dessertly" as a potato. —LoTECH
sixtyfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldeath View Post
TBO (as much as it pains me to say) the Ouya will be a good media center(well a relay hub) and if you belevel there hype then you should be able to throw on a HDD/SSD stack and you should be golden.
I keep thinking this, but I also don't see any reason to get an Ouya over a (exact same priced) WD TV Live or Roku 3, both of which have considerably more support and are already configured.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ouya