Last post by sai tyrus
Today 04:36 AM
2 Replies, 796 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Ouya Getting Negative Reviews

The Ouya console recently began shipping to Kickstarter backers and a couple of reviews have popped up.

The Verge is very displeased with the Ouya and gave it a 3.5/10.

Quote:
For $99, everyone who backed Ouya's Kickstarter has unwittingly signed up to beta-test a game console. Alpha-test, even: this is a product with some good ideas and a potentially promising future, but it's a million miles away from something worth spending your money on. Even if the concept is right, the Ouya misses the mark. The controller needs work, the interface is a mess, and have I mentioned there's really nothing to do with the thing? I'm not even sure the concept is right, either: there are plenty of fun Android games, but currently few that work well with a controller and even fewer that look good on your television.
Endadget has a review of their own, and while there is no numeric score it sounds like they aren't very impressed.

Quote:
And then there is, of course, the game selection. There are quite a few titles here worth playing, but virtually all of them have been seen elsewhere in one form or another, which makes the initial offering a bit hard to get excited about. Additionally, the vast majority are what we'd broadly call "mobile" games: simple experiences and simple graphics that are fine for casual play, but lack the kind of immersion you might want when you get settled in at home on your couch.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
and have I mentioned there's really nothing to do with the thing
The words out of my fucking mouth. Rereading that sentence, I now see it was a bifurcated statement. The first was that I share his opinion. The second is that my mouth fucks, apparently.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

While the idea behind it is cool and all, I just never saw the value of this. With consoles, I'm going to get a solid great gaming experience that something like the Ouya could never deliver. Even cheap mobile games I find very boring.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I want one as a media player with remote. Hook up 2 TB of goodness and have at it.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Anyone with half an understanding of technology should have predicted this.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

oh you fickle Kickstarters, how your agonies warm the cockles of my heart
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
OmegaVader
Evil Dead

So the first big Kickstarter project to come out, and it's fizzling so far. In a few years from now, Kickstarter will either be a giant disaster or merely okay.
OmegaVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

So... the websites that get their advertising dollars from big video game publishers don't like the new indie startup console that doesn't pay them a dime.

Who would have figured?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
see colon
Evil Dead

What did people expect, an Android powered game console that played something other than Android games?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVader View Post
So the first big Kickstarter project to come out, and it's fizzling so far.
Um. . . an Android console is a bad idea that most people on here looked at and said "wtf are they thinking" (in more words). I think there will be other bad projects that get funded and Kickstarter will survive them.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
randir14
Subscriber

There are idiots who will throw money at anything on Kickstarter, including this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...her-brothers-w

A millionaire mother who wants other people to give her $829 to send her daughter to a game development camp...and even after Reddit and 4Chan dug up dirt proving that she's a liar, scammer, manipulator and fraud (as is her husband), people have given her $23,000.

Her campaign violates Kickstarter's rules but the site refuses to take it down, showing dishonest assholes that they can easily use Kickstarter to swindle well-meaning people. Look for more and more scams to pop up on the site in the future.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

But think of all the ROMs I can pirate... uh evaluate, I mean evaluate with this thing.
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
But think of all the ROMs I can pirate... uh evaluate, I mean evaluate with this thing.
I think that there is a certain amount of investment with the OUYA. It's independent, as the reviews say it is in Alpha or Beta and there isn't much out there for it worth playing.

There are a lot of titles in development for it and like you said it could be a hacker/emulator's dream hardware.

I backed it and I'm not willing to call it a failure until I see it for myself. I'm certainly not going to call it a failure based on the reviews of the same sites that were giving SimCity a 90%.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
A millionaire mother who wants other people to give her $829 to send her daughter to a game development camp...and even after Reddit and 4Chan dug up dirt proving that she's a liar, scammer, manipulator and fraud (as is her husband), people have given her $23,000.
Give me $23,000 and I'll write you a kick-ass zombie novel and throw in the signed & numbered hardcovers.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Okay, let me play devil's advocate on this. First off there hasn't been any software specifically made for this system. All that is out there are the apps on the Android store, so I would expect games tailored for this system would be a considerable boost.

That said the lag on the controller is horrible, how is that still possible when near lag-less controllers were perfected with the Wavebird controller? Also as a developer I would be more concerned about how easy it is to pirate my app or game and what will Ouya do?
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
laggerific
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Give me $23,000 and I'll write you a kick-ass zombie novel and throw in the signed & numbered hardcovers.
Awesome...what I've been wanting is a zombie novel that focuses on the post-zombie apocalypse reconstruction. Put that on a kickstarter and I'll invest.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
laggerific
Evil Dead

As for the Ouya...I never had any interest...then again, I've got HTPCs all over my place, so the idea of a tiny, underpowered console was underwhelming.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Nice to see Evil standing up to you guys, heh. This thing just shipped -- I'm not going to decide on this box for at least a year (as to whether it's wonderful or not). The OUYA people have provided the platform. If people don't put amazing software on it, I really can't fault them (the OUYA people).
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Nice to see Evil standing up to you guys, heh. This thing just shipped -- I'm not going to decide on this box for at least a year (as to whether it's wonderful or not). The OUYA people have provided the platform. If people don't put amazing software on it, I really can't fault them (the OUYA people).
Yes, you can. The public funded them from going to the producer of a small, niche product for hobbyists into an actual manufacturer. Perhaps they should have used some of those stretches to hire a business man to secure some goddamn software for the user base guaranteed by their pre-purchased units.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ouya