Today 08:56 PM
48 Replies, 2,235 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Hawken Destruction Demonstration

Quote:
Hawken destruction demo level using GPU Rigid Bodies (GRB's) with networking support for the best multiplayer game experience. The level provides totally new game play - you can open new pathways or destroy the ground underneath the mechs ...
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Looks great, but I don't think it could be a viable game mode for the way the game is set up now. It might work as a 1 life pro-mode style, though.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu View Post
Looks great, but I don't think it could be a viable game mode for the way the game is set up now. It might work as a 1 life pro-mode style, though.
That could totally work as it is now and the game needs something new to add some spice. This is actually perfect since it would add a layer of strategy to get at the campers or people while they repair or flank a group. Overall the game is fun but gets boring after a while due to a lack of features, maps, in-depth customization and skilled players. The graphics are also a strange mix of pretty good and total crap with some movement related shortfalls that upgrades don't fix. I would love to use my Raider and blow a hole in a wall then destroy anyone I see. That class is so OP in a bad ass in your face way.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Nice destruction, but after awhile the level would be toast. I can't help but think they'd have to put in some basic underlying non-destructible framework so you could still have a navigatable map.

I'm sure all of you devs are like, "DUH".
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

"GPU Rigid Bodies" -- otherwise known as mock-voxels, or moxels, to coin a phrase. We're going to see increasing amounts of moxel-tech in future games as destructible environments become cheap to implement on smaller and smaller particle-scales until true sub-pixel voxel-sized destruction is a thing.

I like how over the top this is, one missile bringing down chunks everywhere :P All it's missing is the initial blast-impact of a real explosion that would really bring the experience to life. Explosions are a bit too normal and everyday in most games.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

We need sound based environment destruction. It would look and of course sound different while potentially offering a new way to optimize performance of the destruction while not being a generic explosions that doesn't even look right. I wish games that are not set in modern reality would branch out more creatively in terms of weapons and their effects.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
We need sound based environment destruction...
Not sure I follow. Care to elaborate?
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
That could totally work as it is now and the game needs something new to add some spice. This is actually perfect since it would add a layer of strategy to get at the campers or people while they repair or flank a group. Overall the game is fun but gets boring after a while due to a lack of features, maps, in-depth customization and skilled players. The graphics are also a strange mix of pretty good and total crap with some movement related shortfalls that upgrades don't fix. I would love to use my Raider and blow a hole in a wall then destroy anyone I see. That class is so OP in a bad ass in your face way.
Destructible terrain would eventually level the area, leaving no where to retreat and repair. That essentially defeats the entire strategy of the game, destroys the play style for A class mechs, and heavily favors C class chassis and their higher health pool. Terrain advantage and use is a key point of the game as it is now, and adding destructible terrain in the current game modes would be a gigantic upheaval of the gameplay.

I'm not saying it's bad. It looks awesome. But it would run the current play modes. It would work great if you only had one life, forcing players to engage at a more advantageous time because escape may not be an option, and helps even the (drastic) encounter mismatch between the classes, where C class mechs never get to dictate the time of engagement.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

It looks much more authentic and awesome to have destruction most everywhere. To Karai, it creates a timer for A class mechs to finish the fight before they lose the advantage.
and to Brandon: Duh!
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

That's not really an option in timed matches, though. There's no kill limit game types currently in place.

Tags
hawken