Yesterday 11:23 PM
16 Replies, 900 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Dead Space 3 Awakened DLC Launch Trailer

Quote:
Left for dead on Tau Volantis, Isaac Clarke and John Carver face a daunting journey. As madness takes hold, they find they can't trust their eyes or each other. The trek leads to the ship Terra Nova, now home to a sadistic cult of Unitologists. The horror continues as the Dead Space saga enters its darkest chapter.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

The game just came out and it has DLC already? (looks at every other game in the last 5 years :P) Oh well it adds to the "experience".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

This cult should've been in DS2. Huge wasted opportunity.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yea, this DLC does make me feel like EA is selling me half a game. You know, I think I'm going to end up waiting a year to buy most games from now on.

$60 for half a game is too much. $20 for the part of the game that they included in the box is a lot more fair.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Yea, this DLC does make me feel like EA is selling me half a game. You know, I think I'm going to end up waiting a year to buy most games from now on.

$60 for half a game is too much. $20 for the part of the game that they included in the box is a lot more fair.
Calling something "half a game" simply due to DLC is silly to me. DS3 as it stands is a pretty gigantic SP game and worth the price.

As long as this is as least as lengthy and playable as Severed was for DS2 then I'll gladly pick it up. Also, LOL @ that bitchslap Carver gave Isaac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

Actually it's not silly, the only real thing you can argue is the actual percentage of the
final game your getting.. its an old long argument thats pointless but overall you
get less game for the same money due to the existance DLC.

Of all the things in recent years $DLC has done the most fundamental damage for current and future gamers.

1. It stops many companies releasing mod tools as the community can and does come
up with better stuff for "free".. lots of crap also but so what. Half the games designers cut their teeth on mod tools and owe their jobs to it
and thus are forced hyporcites.

2. It makes games shorter... unfinished games means no DLC sale if it adds on at the end so no driver for a longer in box experience in fact its a bad idea if your selling DLC.

3. It makes games easier.. same reason as 2.

The only reason for the DLC model overall is to charge you more for less not add on
and thats the point here, a sizeable DLC so soon?, you seriously think features are not
removed to be DLC?. Nope it purely gouging the customer for what is already an expensive
product for many.

We often argue about the specifics of DLC and if a certain piece of DLC is cut material/ is too soon / is Horse Armor or GrindResource etc etc but overall its smoke and
mirrors to the damage it's doing for the future of gaming. Yes its here to stay as people
who dont play games are making serious money from it but we dont have to like or especially
defend it.. that is silly imo.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Hagetaka
Subscriber

We all love shiny new video games to play to forgo buying games when they are new. After all, if we weren't buying, they wouldn't be selling.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
Actually it's not silly, the only real thing you can argue is the actual percentage of the
final game your getting.. its an old long argument thats pointless but overall you
get less game for the same money due to the existance DLC.

Of all the things in recent years $DLC has done the most fundamental damage for current and future gamers.

1. It stops many companies releasing mod tools as the community can and does come
up with better stuff for "free".. lots of crap also but so what. Half the games designers cut their teeth on mod tools and owe their jobs to it
and thus are forced hyporcites.

2. It makes games shorter... unfinished games means no DLC sale if it adds on at the end so no driver for a longer in box experience in fact its a bad idea if your selling DLC.

3. It makes games easier.. same reason as 2.

The only reason for the DLC model overall is to charge you more for less not add on
and thats the point here, a sizeable DLC so soon?, you seriously think features are not
removed to be DLC?. Nope it purely gouging the customer for what is already an expensive
product for many.

We often argue about the specifics of DLC and if a certain piece of DLC is cut material/ is too soon / is Horse Armor or GrindResource etc etc but overall its smoke and
mirrors to the damage it's doing for the future of gaming. Yes its here to stay as people
who dont play games are making serious money from it but we dont have to like or especially
defend it.. that is silly imo.
The game itself is still as long as a lot of good games I've played that have no DLC. The length of the game is definitely that of a full game, therefore my point stands. You don't want the DLC? Don't buy it.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
The game itself is still as long as a lot of good games I've played that have no DLC. The length of the game is definitely that of a full game, therefore my point stands. You don't want the DLC? Don't buy it.
Your opinion is the game is long enough.. some people may disagree that
for 40 -60 it isn't and they are just as correct as you are. I've heard comments
about cut and paste rooms to pad it out... but tbh thats not too much
of an issue as long as the actual gameplay is fun.

I'm really getting at the damage fundamentally DLC has on games development, it's irrelevent if people don't buy the DLC they
still rarely make any mod tools available because of it and they dont have to sell much
DLC for it to make a profit if your stripping current assets. Only DLC i've really seen i thought wasn't
really gouging was Borderlands... Buying resourses in DS3.. really what else
is that but gouging (badly apparently as its not needed) but it impacted the
games design fundamentally with one ammo type which to me fucks up any
stratergy elements of loadouts etc...

Personally I can't comment on the length of DS3 as i've not bought it on
basic principal of incorporating Freemium model within a full priced game
thats a Greedium model in my book. Wasn't too happy about the direction
of the game and spoiling something a bit different but i do like the odd action game but sacrificing yet another series is still disappointing.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Darkon
Death Knight

Just a quick one to point out that you don't need to buy DLC resources with real money in DS3 (as it keeps coming up from people who haven't played).

When you deploy these scavenger bots you find on your way, they collect resources and ration tickets. Should you run out of resources you can "buy" the same resources with ration tickets without spending any money. I've played through the game twice so far, I haven't run out of ration tickets.

As far as DLC in general I do agree it can hurt games, but look back at gaming days of old; when you were done a game, that was it. Now you have the option of going further.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Good lord, the game is 20 hours long on the first playthrough, without co-op! That is twice as long as most single player games nowadays. Hate on DLC all you want, but the game certainly doesn't feel like they cut something out.

Also, this DLC looks creepy as hell!

Raptr
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
As far as DLC in general I do agree it can hurt games, but look back at gaming days of old; when you were done a game, that was it. Now you have the option of going further.
No, back in the gaming days of old developers gave us free levels as a thank you for purchasing their product and to extend the shelf life.

Now they charge us for what was once free -- probably by cutting content from the game itself -- as was said above to make the main game shorter and make you more likely to finish the game and be ready for the DLC.

It's a sad world.

I really do rely on my backlog more and more because of stuff like DLC. I picked up Syndicate for less than $20. Even if it isn't that great of a game I'll end up getting my money's worth out of it at that price.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Your opinion is the game is long enough.. some people may disagree that
for 40 -60 it isn't and they are just as correct as you are.
Frankly, that's horseshit. Like Wizz said, the game in one playthrough is extremely long, with co-op additions and various extra game modes. Anyone that tries to claim it's "half a game" is either throwing hyperbole around (in all fairness I figure that's all Evil was doing) or doesn't know what a full game looks like.

As long as the games I want to play give me the bang for my buck and DLC doesn't flat out ruin or cut into the game (in this case it doesn't), I'm happy. I only wish more people could do the same.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
RocketMagnet
Subscriber

Quote:
Frankly, that's horseshit. Like Wizz said, the game in one playthrough is extremely long, with co-op additions and various extra game modes. Anyone that tries to claim it's "half a game" is either throwing hyperbole around (in all fairness I figure that's all Evil was doing) or doesn't know what a full game looks like.

As long as the games I want to play give me the bang for my buck and DLC doesn't flat out ruin or cut into the game (in this case it doesn't), I'm happy. I only wish more people could do the same.
I've only played the demo so wasn't aware it was 20+ hours long so for me personally that enough considering NG+. In fact thats on of the best deals
i've seen for content on a AAA game.
So yeah you do get a great deal of content for your money relative to many other AAA games.

Still I think DLC is doing more damage than many people realise, yes we dont have to buy it
and it does give people some extra content for more money but for a short blast
of fun were sacrificing the Half Lifes, Team Fortresses, Counter Strikes of the future, I'd be
very suprised if a number of the DS3 dev team didnt cut their teeth with mod
tools for Doom/Quake etc.
So yeah you are correct from a selfish instantaneous gratification point of view :P
Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
I've only played the demo so wasn't aware it was 20+ hours long so for me personally that enough considering NG+. In fact thats on of the best deals
i've seen for content on a AAA game.
So yeah you do get a great deal of content for your money relative to many other AAA games.

Still I think DLC is doing more damage than many people realise, yes we dont have to buy it
and it does give people some extra content for more money but for a short blast
of fun were sacrificing the Half Lifes, Team Fortresses, Counter Strikes of the future, I'd be
very suprised if a number of the DS3 dev team didnt cut their teeth with mod
tools for Doom/Quake etc.
So yeah you are correct from a selfish instantaneous gratification point of view :P
Well that depends on what type of gamer you are. Personally I love exploration so I can easily get that many hours (or more) on one playthrough and the content level overall is plentiful.
Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Taiso
Evil Dead

So I just finished this DLC.

For anybody that finished DS 3 and felt the ending left things too open and was maybe hoping that this game would bring a more fine sense of closure, don't bother wasting your money.

It's a joke how Clark has become indestructible. The appeal of survival horror games lies in the isolation, fear and vulnerability of the characters. But when Isaac Clark can survive what happens at the end of DS 3, and after some of the ridiculous things the character has been put through since about the midway point of DS 2, he may as well be a fucking terminator.

This is the problem with having a series like this where you keep using the same character after each entry, rather than giving them a break now and then like RE did until they started using Chris in every entry later on. You stop believing he will die, and all the tension of the story is gone.

Plus, it's like the later Die Hard movies. In the first one, he has to walk on glass barefoot and you wonder how he can do it. In the new one, he falls hundreds of feet through glass skylights into swimming pools, climbs out and jokes with his son.

And for those of you just looking for gameplay, this is largely recycled environments graphically touched up to reflect the derangement of the new Unitology offshoot's collective mind. And every once in a while, you get 'teleported in your mind' to a closed off space where you have to shoot miniature markers while evading waves of enemies.

Not worth ten bucks. Very let down. This series has lost its way and needs a long vacation if this is what we're going to get from here on out.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiso View Post

For anybody that finished DS 3 and felt the ending left things too open and was maybe hoping that this game would bring a more fine sense of closure, don't bother wasting your money.

It's a joke how Clark has become indestructible. The appeal of survival horror
I stopped reading right here. It has been established (since DS2) that this is NO HORROR GAME BUT A MICHAEL BAY SHOOTER FUCK YEAH AMERICA VIDYAGAEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiso View Post

It's a joke how Clark has become indestructible. The appeal of survival horror games lies in the isolation, fear and vulnerability of the characters. But when Isaac Clark can survive what happens at the end of DS 3, and after some of the ridiculous things the character has been put through since about the midway point of DS 2, he may as well be a fucking terminator.

This is the problem with having a series like this where you keep using the same character after each entry, rather than giving them a break now and then like RE did until they started using Chris in every entry later on. You stop believing he will die, and all the tension of the story is gone.

Plus, it's like the later Die Hard movies. In the first one, he has to walk on glass barefoot and you wonder how he can do it. In the new one, he falls hundreds of feet through glass skylights into swimming pools, climbs out and jokes with his son.

And for those of you just looking for gameplay, this is largely recycled environments graphically touched up to reflect the derangement of the new Unitology offshoot's collective mind. And every once in a while, you get 'teleported in your mind' to a closed off space where you have to shoot miniature markers while evading waves of enemies.

Not worth ten bucks. Very let down. This series has lost its way and needs a long vacation if this is what we're going to get from here on out.
The game clearly isn't survival horror. What is it with people not being able to comprehend what a direction change is? Personally I never felt this series was "survival" much at all depending on how you approached it.
Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I've got the DLC, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hopefully I like it more than Taiso did. I think just like movies have different types of horror (slasher, supernatural, torture porn, demonic, etc), Dead Space is still in the horror genre, just not the isolated, spooky type of horror.

Also, I really like the character of Issac Clarke, so I'd have a hard time enjoying a Dead Space game without him. The DS2 Severed DLC did that, and as a result it was kinda "meh."

Anyways, we'll see. If the DLC is bad, I have no problem admitting it, but I'm going in open-minded.

Raptr
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Taiso
Evil Dead

Quote:
The game clearly isn't survival horror. What is it with people not being able to comprehend what a direction change is? Personally I never felt this series was "survival" much at all depending on how you approached it.
It's still survival horror. There are plenty of moments of isolation and attempts by the devsl to create fear and tension. You still scrounge for supplies and health items, and if you're playing on a respectable difficulty, you have to decide how to use your resuorces. This defense of 'direction change' doesn't change any of that.

This game tried to go for the 'dudebro' money with co-op, cover based shooting sequences and microtransactions. And that is where the game fails. Like RE 6, it tries to be everything to everybody but still wants to maintain a shred of its identity.

If you want to use the 'direction change' shield defense, go ahead. Then it's a shitty direction change that still plays too much like the old game and has too many of the old game's distinctions to escape from its shadow.

At least with RE 5, you could tell the change in direction by bringing back a long absent character in an evovled form, giving him a partner and focusing on co-op and action beats.

Which is what DS should have done if they wanted a 'direction change.' Given us a new character that you can believe can do all these things. Isaac's story just doesn't mean as much when the only thing he truly has to fear is the voice in his head and slamming into bulkheads at 80 miles an hour and then getting back up to talk to the supporting cast are the kinds of things that happens regularly during this story.

But DS 3, and I played through the whole thing, starts strong (even with the early action beats as you're escaping the Unitologists and with the train sequence set piece) and then falls flat on its face. I still love the IP, and hope for better things moving forward.

Tags
dead space 3